Freshwater track Rainbow beach

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:40
ThreadID: 65861 Views:5074 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up to Teewah this weekend and was thinking about going up friday night, but tides are not really ideal (2300 high tide). So I was thinking about going up the Freshwater track and was wondering if anyone on here has been west to east on the track in the next week or so and what the track is like.

I normally wouldnt worry but the Hilux is getting a new head fitted this week and I dont really want to rev it too much just yet. For this reason Im also not keen on heading up the beach in the soft stuff.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: zook - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:43

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:43
Pete N Fran,

I drove the track (both directions) on the weekend. It is a lot easier then when i last drove it.

You should have no trouble driving the track at all in a hilux. in fact most of the track is now dirt/compact sand, with the occassional softish part of sand (mainly down near freshwater campsite). The softest and most difficult part will be getting onto, and off the beach.

I was able to idle along the whole track in a suzuki.

There were a lot of soft roaders travelling the track with relative ease.

zook
AnswerID: 348459

Follow Up By: Pete N Fran - Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10

Wednesday, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:10
Excellent. Thanks for that. Looks like we will be heading up friday Night after all. Just dont want to rev the thing too much with a new head
FollowupID: 616769

Reply By: troopyman - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:43

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 13:43
I drove it the other day . The track is fine , its the amount of traffic and idiots on motorbikes going too fast and losers in 4wds going too fast for the blind corners .
AnswerID: 348460

Reply By: Member - Coyote (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:56

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 16:56
This info might be too old to be of use, but hopefully it will at least be helpfull as something to keep in mind.. when I was up that way a few weeks ago, you couldn't drive to Rainbow Beach from D.I.P along the beach. Even at the bottom of the tide the water was almost 1m deep below the 2nd last lot of rocks as you get close to Rainbow Beach ( the Town of Rainbow Beach). It's not real clear from your original post which area you are heading to... The heading of your post says Rainbow Beach but you mentioned Teewah in your post.. Teewah and the track up from the beach to Freshwater camping area on Double Island Point would be a walk in the park for a hilux.. plenty of soft roaders go through that way.. but I wouldn't plan on getting all the way to Rainbow Beach on the beach unless you hear from someone who has been there more recently than I..

Have fun..
AnswerID: 348485

Reply By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 17:17

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 17:17
I don't think that would put too many people off from what I saw when I was up there a couple of months ago... as the tide was at half (and going out by the way) the trees at the Leisha track end were basically at the water edge so if you wanted to pass you had to either wait it out like I did, or time your pass VERY well - or as car after car did - just plough on through the salt water!!

I could not believe that not just one or two people were happy to drive their cars directly into the ocean to the point where water was pounding over the bonnets and windscreen etc, but there would have been at least 30 of them in the time we were there with the kids having a bit of lunch on the beach.

Even though my car is now coming on 17 years old there is no way I would intentionally do that to it.
AnswerID: 348488

Reply By: Member - Glenn H (NSW) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 18:50

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 18:50
HI Pete N Fran, there are a few pix of the track in Places. The sand is mostly hard packed with the odd softer section but we did it with the van. Cheers, Glenn
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 348495

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:50

Tuesday, Feb 10, 2009 at 20:50
Hi Pete n Fran

Keep an eye on our Road Condiitons report for the Area

http://www.exploroz.com/QLD/QLD_Coast/Roads.aspx

It is updated frequently or as soon as we get new info.

I was up there 4 weeks ago but the beach sand levels and tracks can change fast depending on the weather and traffic.
recent work on the Freshwater Track will have improved conditions this week - see report.
Please dont hesitate to give us your own report or feedback after you have returned..
Hope this helps

Kerry W
Road Conditions CoOrdinator
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 348511

Sponsored Links