Diffs; TrueTrac

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 17:50
ThreadID: 65916 Views:2598 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering extra traction options for my 97 Hilux. I have heard too many bad things about the Air Locker. The TJM Pro Locker seems vey hard to get at the momoment with production issues.

At any rate I dont think I need the full locking option for what I do; touring and trail work. I also have a winch if all is lost.

But I would like a little extra 'security' for the family when in situations like river crossings so I am now thinking of a Detroit Truetrac in the rear.

Has anyone got one that can provide me with feedback on the on and off road performance of these?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:30

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:30
i got front and rear true tracks and to me the difference is incredible. Instead of spinning wheels up gravel tracks its just crawl up, on gravel roads no drifting across loose bits, in sand i don't get bogged anymore.

No switches no airlines and a lot cheaper than fully air locked alternative, or so I believed.

I got front to help protect the only 7.5" front diff, instead of blasting out of holes (i know, hiluxes don't do that anyhow) i just crawl out.

I haven't been in any mud yet, not much round Brisbane these days.

Cost was about $2,400 fully on, and I think that included replacing some damaged bits.

if you get stuck up on one wheel there are techniques to get off.

If you live in brisbane we can take it for a comparo.

I know a lot of people will say why bother but speak to the people that install them and you might be impressed.

this is the website where i got mine done:

http://www.difflap.com.au/

And check out this post here:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/60605/Plug_for_Kedron_Diff_Lappers.aspx

or got to post 3915
AnswerID: 348764

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:37

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 18:37
and forgot to mention, that with front and rear, on the road I cannot and have not ever noticed a difference whatsoever, and of course as soon as I drove off I tried. There are moments apparently when you may notice a difference but I have yet to notice.
FollowupID: 617009

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:38

Thursday, Feb 12, 2009 at 22:38
Diff Lapping at Kedron is where I got my 2 full Detroit No-Spins fitted , you made the 100 % right choice in getting Detroits, They will not let you down .

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 617056

Reply By:- Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:45

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:45
They seem to be a good thing then from what I read here and on other forums and reviews when I researched the topic on Google.

Must have read 40 pages. Unlike air lockers and detroit lockers I could not find one negative comment toward the Truetrac.

This will be the way I go.

Porl, thanks for taking the time to provide a good write up.

AnswerID: 348928

Sponsored Links