Family lifestyle change

We are seriously considering my Husband taking a VSP from work after 28 years. We have always wanted wanted to travel more extensively and work in outback communities. But have just not been brave enough to take the plunge.

We are looking at a Coromal L700 van to tow behind our Pathfinder. We have 2 kids ( 12 and 9 ) who love travelling and new experiences.

On a 3 month trip around Queensland last year we were amazed at the amount of work in places like Longreach, Winton, Mt Isa...not to mention almost every roadhouse or pub that we called into.

Are there any families out there who have made this family life change ? As we own it,we will keep our home base.

Is it doable with kids of this age ? What do we do about education ?

Any advice that any of you can offer will be most gratefully accepted.

Many thanks...Janet
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:54

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:54
Kids are flexible and resilient... they will probably love it. As for school... there are plenty of very good quality "home schooling" programs out there; top that off with internet access and it's no big deal..... just takes some discipline. You can have lessons posted to any post office and held there for your arrival.
Fred
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 348841

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:00

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 12:00
Hi Janet,

To steal a saying "Just do it!!" my hubby and I (with our 2 girls aged 7 and almost 9yrs) started in November last year, we have NO regrets, we actually sold our home and purchased a 23foot retreat daydream caravan with shwr and toilet, we have an 80 series landcruiser. We home school our girls (have done since July last year) we decided it will take as long as it takes 3yrs 5yrs what ever. We have started a website it is in its infancy and I need to do a lot to it (when I get a spare 5mins)
www.travelingoz.webs.com (I know I spelt travelling incorrectly!!! once I hit OK there was not turning back)

It tooks us about 6 - 8 weeks to adjust to being together all the time and living in a caravan, however we wouldn't change a thing.

Our girls have learnt so much and seen some amazing places. I can provide you with links ect re: home schooling - if you have any other Q's just email me at carolinehys@yahoo.com.au

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 348843

Reply By: wendys - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:46

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 17:46
Re education: see if your State Education Dept has a correspondence school that will enrol the kids and send work etc. If not, try home schooling. You should be able to access curriculum outlines that will give you an idea of what to cover. You may also find that, if you "settle" in a place up north for a few months, for work, School of the Air may be useful.
Your kids will benefit so much from the lifestyle and the range of experiences they will get. They will probably end up ahead of their peers in many aspects. I speak from my former career experience in secondary schools. Had some kids enrol into Yr 11 who'd been on the road for all their schooling up till then (shearing family). They were so focussed, mature and had great independent learning skills.
Go for it!
AnswerID: 348897

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:50

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:50
We are close to doing it.Our home is on the market(and 99% sure its sold).We have two boys(11 and 9) and our newest member 2 week old little girl.We are going to go on a three-four month run down trip to see if we want to go for "ever" or go for 6mths a year and work our business here for 6.
We will be taking our Tambo camper as we want to go to all the of the track places but where ever we go and whatever we do it will be done at a nice leisurely pace.Carnt wait.
AnswerID: 348931

Follow Up By: wendys - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 17:44

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 17:44
Nick, - our camps... are these places you have already been? Do you have a travel diary, or similar, posted on the net? I enjoy reading these.
FollowupID: 617272

Follow Up By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 19:03

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 19:03
Those are the places we have already stayed at over three trips.I keep a diary but its not on the net anywhere.
FollowupID: 617288

Reply By: Jason & Shell - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:22

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:22
It is very doable with kids of any age. I travelled for 12 months with two 12 year olds and a 7 year old and it was alot of fun and a great learning experience for all.
Western Australia has a great program called SIDE that is set up for all age groups to home school by correspondence. I cannot speak highly enough of the program and support that we were given. Not sure what other states do but.
I would say just do it...it's a worthwhile experience.
AnswerID: 349088

Sponsored Links