Travelling the tropics and the wet

Submitted: Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:50
ThreadID: 65952 Views:1902 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,

A desire to see Cairns in the wet was hatched some 6 months ago and so was a decision to drive as well. We were asked several times why we would want to go during the wet and quite simple we just wanted to know what it is like and the dates loosely connected with our anniversary and the full moon (for fishing - nothing too romantic). Cheap air fares changed our desire to drive a couple of months ago long before we knew this would be no ordinary wet season. This decision turned out to be a very good one with northern roads closed around Townsville and Ingham.

Rainfall has varied between 900mm for Cains in January and 1200mm for Innisfail this is the sort of rain that causes local flooding and makes roads impassable.

Travelling this time of year has its ups and downs. On the upside is that there are nowhere near as many travellers so ther is little competition. The place looks lush and a lot more appealling. On the down side is the humidity, empty shelves in the super market and some venues being closed. Been as far north as the Daintree and as far south as Tully. A couple of trips to the Tablelands including wetting a line in Tinaroo.

All and all not a bad time to travel!

On a seperate matter does anyone know where I can get a cavandish banana tree up here?

Kind regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lotzi - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:53

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:53
G'day Beatit

If you like NQ during the wet, wait until you see Kakaduin the wet.

Cheers
Lotzi
AnswerID: 348933

Follow Up By: Lotzi - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:54

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:54
typo = Kakadu in
:0
FollowupID: 617159

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:56

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 20:56
.....and silly me thought you were working......where is the photo of the fish then?
AnswerID: 348935

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:16

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:16
G'day Ruth,

I did catch a barra but it only was 55 cm so under size. I took a picture nevertheless but don't have my cable to do the transfer. A 55cm yellowbelly would be something to crow about but it seems I should bow my head in shame!

ind regards
FollowupID: 617165

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:29

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:29
What do you want the banana tree for - and where exactly are you.
I dont think its legal to grow cavandish bananas in Qld unless you are a licensed grower as they are susceptible to disease and pests unless properly maintained (eg beetle borer, panama disease, bunchy top etc).
If you just want to grow one in a tub as a feature plant - well maybe thats different. I know someone in ACT thay grew one indoors as a pot plant.
Depends where you are - if the south east I may be able to source a plant for you.
Cheers
AnswerID: 348938

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:41

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:41
G'day Saharaman,

I reside in Brisbane and have a couple of varieties but not a cav. I am not at home (obviously). A pot plant is what I'm after. Just as matter of interest why are all these diseases plaguing the cav tree and not the others?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 617168

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:53

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 21:53
Hi Beatit,

I dont know exactly - I think its just the variety needs a lot more maintenance with misting and sprays etc - thats why they dont let backyarders grow them.
But you can grow other varieties in small numbers.
Here is a bunch we grew in our backyard in Brisbane---
Image Could Not Be Found
I live northside of Brisbane. Contact me when you get back home and I can get a few varieties for you - have you got a Blue Java. They are a beautiful eating banana but not grown commercially very much as they have thin skins and bruise too readily.
Send me a MMS when you want to discuss further.
Cheers,
GPM
FollowupID: 617171

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 22:09

Friday, Feb 13, 2009 at 22:09
Thanks GPM,

I'll MMS you when I get home next week. That is a wonderfull bunch you have there!

Kind regards
FollowupID: 617172

Sponsored Links