August 2009 Sydney - Uluru - Sydney

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 19:24
ThreadID: 65975 Views:2624 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Dear Forumites,

I have started planning a 4 week trip from Syd to Uluru and return. My wife and I will be travelling with our 2 boys aged 3 and 5. We have a well equipped 100 series TD and an Aussie Swag offroad trailer. I am looking for suggest routes, things to see and things you suggest definately not to miss. We have never been farther west than Mudgee!! We may be taking another vehicle or 2 in convoy and we are happy to get off the beaten track. we are going to give the Simpson Destert a miss unfortunately.

All suggestions welcome

Thanks in adavance

Davo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 19:49

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 19:49
Davo,
A possible route is Broken Hill, Tibooburra, Cameron Corner, Innamincka (Dig Tree visit), Haddon Corner, Birdsville, Bedourie, Boulia, Alice (Plenty Hwy), Mereenie Loop to Kings Canyon and then onto Uluru. On the way back to Alice, the Henbury Meteorite Crater is worthwhile. Rainbow Valley and Chamber's Pillar are within easy reach of Alice and well worth seeing. Several ways to go home.
For what its worth,
Jon W
AnswerID: 349069

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 20:49

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 20:49
At first I was thinking not enough time but it is not bad in 4 weeks.

We did it from Broken Hill in 3 weeks and came home across the Simpson. Often on big trips we have done the run home like an iterstate truckie. Just go home

Davo's suggestion is not bad and will give you plenty to build on to make it your trip.

If you don't want to go up through Birdsville you could go across through Broken Hill the Flinders and Oodnadatta Track maybe a look in at Lake Eyre and then up through Finke and along the Old Gahn to Alice taking in Chambers Pillar on the way.

Have a look at the Trips and Places listings on this site for more information than you will know what to do with.

I would suggest that when you get to Alice you stay put for a while an do day trips to cover stuff close to town.

Happy planning
Duncs
AnswerID: 349077

Reply By: Smudger - Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:04

Saturday, Feb 14, 2009 at 22:04
These are not necessarily stopovers, you'll need to figure out how many km's you want to travell in a day. But as a general route have a look a this. We did it in 4 easy weeks.
Broken Hill > Peterborough (SA) > Flinders Ranges (Wilpena Pound & Arkaroola - do the observatory) > Leigh Creek > Maree > Oodnadatta Track (Graded dirt road - William Creek - Painted Desert - Oodnadatta) > Marla > (Sealed Road) > Alice Springs.
From Alice to Uluru via Larapinta Drive (Hermansberg - Palm Valley - Kings Canyon)
Home via Coober Pedy (Don't miss The Breakaways) > Renmark > Mildura > Mungo NP > Balranald > Hay > Bathurst > Syd.
AnswerID: 349084

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:20

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:20
My thoughts too, though maybe take the short cut from Yunta direct to the Gammons - on the way out of the Gammons you'll probably need some tucker etc. so maybe the run west from the Gammons to Leigh Creek is a good idea. Up at Oodnadatta, you can run off onto the Old Ghan line route and go up to Finke that way - more interesting - then left to Kulgera and over to the Rock. The run through Alice and across the Plenty adds a heap of distance to get home - with 4 weeks, I too reckon the suggestion to generally 'backtrack' with variations is the go.
FollowupID: 617371

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:46

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:46
that looks good Dazzer - might try that one in my dirt road van.

Don't think I'd get thru Palm Valley though?????? Maybe do a day trip there?
FollowupID: 617376

Follow Up By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 14:04

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 14:04
Palm Valley - what a place ! Love it. I'll certainly be giving it a good shake again at some stage after I get my "rough roads capable" caravan - will probably just have to try it out - as I recall the road into Palm Valley, apart from the 'easy-enough' rock shelves that we had to crawl over slowly just before the campground, there was a decided, sharp dip in and out of a small watercourse on the edge of the Finke.....as we departed the Finke river bed proper......that might test the departure angles on the van. Anyway...... if that doesn't work, one can set up a camp on the edges of the Finke back from the campground a k or two - and drive in, or better still, go bushwalking.
FollowupID: 617410

Reply By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:52

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:52
Davo,

Here are a few things that are on in Alice & surrounds during August in case you're interested.

Harts Range Bush Sports Week End - 1st - 3rd Aug
Old Timers Fete - Aug 8th
Alice Springs Rodeo - Aug 15th
Henley On Todd - Aug 22nd
National Road Transport Hall of Fame Reunion - 27 - 30 Aug

Have a good trip

Viv
AnswerID: 349152

Reply By: Member - Mark (NSW) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 22:43

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 22:43
Haven't been to the centre since 1985, but went to Tibooburra & Inamincka a few years ago with our CT then onto Flinders. I can't speak highly enough of the 3 days at Inamincka, Dig Tree, Coopers Ck, etc, wish we had a few more days. Then you head down the Strezlecki (H'way) to Maree and up the Ooodnadatta Tk.

Flinders Ranges, a week won't do them justice and Broken Hill is well worth 2-3 days. Longreach if you go back via Qld is wiorth at least one full day.

Suggest you leave the Simpson alone til you have more bush experience, but you should be fine on major dirt roads.

So much to see, reckon you will be really looking at 8000km, so think about it. 400-500km on dirt roads is a long day given need to set up and pack up.

AnswerID: 353899

Sponsored Links