Brisbane to Karratha

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:48
ThreadID: 66019 Views:3588 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
This is my first post however I have been a member for a while. I have been using the site to plan a 3 month trip. We plan to start out trip from Karratha doing GRR, Bungles, Litchfield, Darwin, Possibly Kakadu, down to Alice to do Uluru and then home to Brisbane.
My query is what is the quickest way from Brissy to Karratha. I have a weeks head start on holiday's than my wife. The plan is for me to drive by myself to Karratha and my wife and kids will fly about a week later.
At this stage, weather permitting, I plan to drive to Alice via the plenty and then onto Marble Bar via gary Junction road and then onto Karratha. We are staying in Karratha for a week with family before heading north. I would appreciate any comments on the trek to Karratha, or any other tips for that matter. Will be travelling with 2 kids aged 6 & 4 once were all in Karratha.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:47

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 22:47
Bill

Alice Springs to Marble Bar will slow you down a tad. You will be pushing to average 80kmh in some sections due to rough terrain and extreme corrugations. So you need to take that in to consideration. Taking the bitumen might be a better option is you only have a week.

Cheers
AnswerID: 349306

Follow Up By: Member - Bill O (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:01

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:01
Cheers Willem,
Thats what I was thinking, but thought it might be a ok stretch. It could well be that I do go the highway option.

Thanks

FollowupID: 617574

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:45

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:45
Bill

While in Karratha visit Dampier and show the kids the statue of Red Dog. Go to the nformation centre in Karratha and find out where to go to see the fantastic rock art of the Burrup Peninsula.

Cheers
FollowupID: 617583

Reply By: Member - Jerry C (WA) - Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:07

Sunday, Feb 15, 2009 at 23:07
Hi Bill,

When do you plan to start your trip ?

Cheers,

Jerry
AnswerID: 349308

Follow Up By: Member - Bill O (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:05

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:05
Hi Jerry,
I plan on leaving Brisbane around the 27th Apr. Mt wife and kids will arrive on the 5th May. We will spend hopefully just a few days in Karratha. We need to show the kids off to some family who haven't seen much of them. Then we will be off, hopefully no longer than 5 days sitting around karratha

Bill
FollowupID: 617575

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:19

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:19
Hi Bill,

You don't say if you are towing anything but even still it is around 5,000kms from Brisbane to Karratha via the black top. At 1,000kms per day that is 5 days & on your own that is a big drive & doesn't allow for any hassles on the way.

You might be pushing your luck to take any side tracks on your way over. Once you get there you will find plenty of things to do some of which have already been suggested & I'm sure you'll have a top trip.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 349348

Follow Up By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:55

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 11:55
This link might helproad map brisbane to karratha

Suggest you stay at Barn Hill Station on your way home
Barn hill station

We will be heading over from the Gold Coast in July and staying at Point Samson , near Karratha, for some of the time.

Pedro
FollowupID: 617607

Follow Up By: Member - Bill O (QLD) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 22:37

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 22:37
Thanks for the replys.
I will be towing a trackabout for the trip. I think I'm going to have to go the black top option. I realised that its going to be a hard drive, but I would rather get to NW WA without the kids and then take our time getting home rather than pacing ourselves to get to the Kimberlys (because of kids) and then risk missing places around there.

Thanks for the link Pedro. Might check it out as one of our first stops

Cheers

FollowupID: 617702

Sponsored Links