Tibubura

Can anyone tell me what standard the road from Burke to Tibooburra and the road from Tibooburra to the Noccundra. The plan is to do a loop to Innamincka coming back via the Strzelecki track.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:28

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:28
When you leave Burke the road is sealed for about 10km (after North Burke) then changes to good gravel/sandy clay and remains like that all the way to Tibooburra.

I have travelled the road at up to 100km/h in the dry. If it rains, well lets just say it took us about 8 hours to get from Wanaaring to Tib.

Oh and the rain does not have to be local. Our problems came from rain near Thargomindah. This ran into the Bulloo overflow and well it overflowed.

It is a nice run, pretty country and a bit to see if you know where to look.

Duncs
AnswerID: 349362

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:31

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 14:31
Forgot to mention the run Tib to Noccundra is also pretty good. There are dunes but not soft as clay has been brought in. Lots of currugations between Noccundra and Innamincka but its easy travelling. A good half day Tib to Innamincka.

Duncs
FollowupID: 617622

Follow Up By: bks - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:37

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:37
Planning to go to Coopers Creek mid year. If you were going from sydney which route would you take?
FollowupID: 617643

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 21:18

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 21:18
bks

That would change depending on a few variables.

The most important would be where is the water.

As Hughesy metions below, right now there is a fair bit lying around out there and travel could be difficult.

You could probably get to Tib via Broken Hill at the moment, I don't know beyond that. West of Bourke would be a bit difficult at the moment. How long it will stay wet for is hard to say.

The other option is to go north out of Bourke and then west through Thargomindah.

Keep an eye on the road conditions section on this site for up to date info closer to the time of travel.

Duncs
FollowupID: 617681

Reply By: Member - Hughesy (NSW) - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:15
Hi,

You don't say when you are going but I hope its no time soon.

Bouke has had about 14 inches of rain in the last 3 days and more to come. All western NSW is getting a fair bit as we speak.

At the moment all roads around that place would be closed and depending on what happens up till the time you go anything would be possible.

Best source of info would be the local cop shop in Bourke and Tibooburra - for the best up to date info.
AnswerID: 349380

Follow Up By: bks - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:23

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:23
Not planning to go for a few months.

thanks for the information
FollowupID: 617640

Follow Up By: jpfe8851 - Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:57

Monday, Feb 16, 2009 at 17:57
Hey bks,

You can pretty much choose the route to suit yourself, but I'd consider putting these places on the route, sequence would depend on direction of travel...

Bourke, Louth, Tilpa, Wannaring, Hungerford, Currawinya NP, Thargominda, Noccundra, Dig Tree, Innamincka, Coongie Lakes, Drive to Cameron Corner via Bore Track and Bollards Lagoon (fee?), Tibooburra, Milparinka, Mt Poole, White Cliffs, Mutawinji NP, Menindee/Kinchega NP, Lake Mungo NP, then back anyway you like... I drove the route to Ivanhoe then back along the Barrier Hwy, but you can choose another route to suite. Allow 3-5 weeks. Longer if you have time.

Of course this is all pretty hot in summer and should be done from April on... July/August might be best as the water is likely to stay up for several more months with the falls up in N and CQ.
FollowupID: 617646

Reply By: On Patrol & TONI - Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:36

Tuesday, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:36
bks
I did most of that run in a Subaru outback in 04, but as mentioned the recent rain will change things in the short term but grading of any damage will happen in the near future.
Cheers Colin.

Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 349433

Sponsored Links