How can you get the bike on the pack rack?

Submitted: Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:24
ThreadID: 66235 Views:3020 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Have often thought it would be great to have a bike on the pack rack to just peddle off for all those incidentals that are just too far to walk.
There are boat loaders to load huge boats,surely someone has worked out a simple way of getting the treadilly on and off the rack.
Because I have the van on sometimes and a rack on the back is a pain as rear door access is needed more than the bike ,the roof rack is the best choice for tranport..
Over to the best inspired,inventive and just plain practical people on EO_Can it be done????????????????????
Incidentally 164cm and 65 k means some mechanical assistance is essential,
OK Brains Trust I'm awaiting your advice.
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:55

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:55
I have done a couple of things. First I fiited a rack to the draw bar of the van and it worked great but I had to skew the patrol slightly to open the large door. Then we changed bikes and they dont fit to good on the carrier due to different sizes and frame shape. Now they go up on the roof rack and I have some fittings that hold the forks in place with the front wheel removed. They travel very well but I have to be wary of low tree branchs etc.

Getting them up and down I do manually as good bikes weigh bugger all. I load three up easily by climbing up, bike in one hand and hanging onto the vehicle with the other. So I have to do it three times. If on occasions I have another family member available it is even easier. Thule make a great carrier which negates the need to remove the front wheel however removing the front wheel lowers the height of the load.

Bikes are great things and they are one of the only items that you really get what you pay for. Kind of like skateboards! Pay for a good bike and you'll never go back to a cheap one and you'll love riding it and therefore get the use out of it.
AnswerID: 350692

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:57

Monday, Feb 23, 2009 at 22:57
Also if I could I would place them in the van when travelling but my Expanda makes it a bit difficult.
FollowupID: 619006

Reply By: Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:25

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:25
Mary,
I recall having seen a bike carrier somewhere on the web. It is similar to the the swing out spare wheel carrier on 4wd. I think it fitted into the receiver type hitch so could be removed when not in use. Come on you EO viewers, someone may be able to help and design one. I'll keep looking.

Regards,
Ross
AnswerID: 350700

Follow Up By: Rosco - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:21

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 04:21
Mary,
Go to Google and type in 'Thule Revolver Bike Carrier'.
This should help. I have no connection or interest in any companies or organisations mentioned.

Ross
FollowupID: 619019

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:41

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:41
That's fine Ross if your're not towing,
I simply want some ideas to help get the bike up onto the pack rack.The Armstrong method is somewhat lacking!!!
Mary

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 619473

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:06

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:06
Having travelled outback including a Simpson Desert trip with three bikes on top of a hardfloor camper I'd be putting them on the roofrack if possible. The dust and rocks really knock them around when they are down low, not something I'd like to do to a good bike.
Pretty simple to make brackets to hold them on a rack, U shaped bracket with threaded rod for the front forks, Channel section for the rear wheel and then a ratchet strap down from the frame to the rack on either side.
Or if you cannot make something there are Thule bike carriers for the roof bars, Rhino make one as well.
I can carry mine inside the Humvee tied to the cargo barrier.
AnswerID: 350704

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 16:10

Tuesday, Feb 24, 2009 at 16:10
The "bikes" I ride are just too heavy to carry up top.
You need a bike trailer:-))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 350794

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:48

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 19:48
Beginning to think I should abandon the treadily idea in favour of an electric powered scooter kept permanently charged via the solar panel.Just the shot for those quick erands-milk bread etc when in CP's He.He .
Cheers,
Mary

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 351203

Sponsored Links