Carrying bikes on a Tambo Camper trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:22
ThreadID: 66296 Views:3633 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,
I am looking to purchase a bike rack to carry 4 bikes attached to a hayman reece bracket that has been purposely built on the tail end of a Tambo camper.

I do not intend to do much off road with the bike, but a bike shop warned me that he has had customers return their bike racks after collapsing and destroying the bikes. He strongly urged me against carrying bikes on the rear of your camper.

Would I be better to carry the bikes on the roof.

Im really interested in what other people do to transport their bikes with a camper trailer. Also what brands do you recommend. The vehicle is a Prado Diesel.

Any advise tips welcome. thanks James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mark G Gulmarrad - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:31

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 21:31
imjames

i carry our 3 bikes on our camper no worries.

i made my own drawbar for the rear to fit hayman reece style towbar.

i will suggest that if you make 1 just dont scrimp on thickness of material.

taken bikes down every kind of raos and they always came home,cheers.
AnswerID: 351053

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:26

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:26
May be an expensive option but what about a boat loader type frame over the top. Has a lot of other uses as well such as mounting solar cells etc. Would certainly carry bikes in any situation. Have seen a family doing just that with a Trak-shack and if memory serves me correctly, there is a member of the forum who has just made that type of carrying rack for his Tambo. A search should turn up the post. It had photos as well. Great trailer. Keith and Amanda should be able to tell you what one would cost.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 351069

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:40

Wednesday, Feb 25, 2009 at 22:40
Lots of dirt and road grime will make a real mess of any decent bike quite quickly.

Cheers,
Peter
AnswerID: 351070

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 06:05

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 06:05
This came up just a few days ago, on the rear of the camper they will be subjected to a very rough ride, as well as the actual road surface they will also get the accentuated motion between the vehicle and trailer.
A rack on top of the vehicle or camper is much better as you can remove the front wheels and bolt them on with the front forks and then a ratchet strap each side to stop them moving around.
The boat loader rack that swings up and over to the side when setting up camp would alleviate the need to remove them each day before erecting the camper which does become a pain.
We used to take three bikes on outback trips on homemade brackets fitted to the roofrack of our hardfloor flip over camper, acros the simpson and along lots of the tracks in central Oz. They travelled very well apart from dust getting into everything and the occasional stone chip.
Personally I wouldn't subject a good bike to that sort of treatment, would prefer to pull the wheels off and carry it inside especially when replacement cost is around $3k.
AnswerID: 351083

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:03

Thursday, Feb 26, 2009 at 08:03
I made a swing over rack for the top of our camper to carry push bikes and stuff.Pictures on the site in another post...somewhere.Search Tambo by Nick
AnswerID: 351090

Sponsored Links