Bachsten Creek on Gibb River Road

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 17, 2003 at 22:10
ThreadID: 6649 Views:4493 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
We are planning a 2 month trip to the Kimberley in 2004, and are attempting to work out all the places we would like to see. We spent a short amount of time up there in 1998, so have a rough idea of what we would like to see. Just wondered if anybody had driven the track from Mt Elizabeth Station to Bachsten Creek? I don't think we have time to go all the way to Walcott Inlet, so just wondered if the trip is worth doing just as far as Bachsten Creek? Also, can you do the drive from Mt Elizabeth Station to Bachsten Creek in one day, or do you need to stop and camp along the way? We are travelling with another vehicle, and I am having trouble talking them into this section of the trip! I have had email conversations with Bushtrack Safaris regarding this trek, but just wondered if anyone else had any comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: joc45 - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:43

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 18:43
Hi, Mel,
Absolutely recommend it!
I've done it a couple of times (and turned back a third time, too wet), once from Mt Elizabeth, and once from Beverley Springs. Beverley Springs was shorter, and less rough, but I believe that the track is washed out (from someone who flew over the area). You'd need to ring Beverley Springs Station on this.
From Mt Elizabeth, it's fairly rough, but an exhilarating drive, which can be done in a day. About 143km. But if you have the time, a half-way break is worth it anyway. It's some time since I've done it, so you'd need to ring Mt Elizabeth (Peter Lacy (08) 9191 4644) to confirm accessibility. There is a fee for entry from Mt Eliz to Bachsten. The homestead also has good camping facilities, and it is worth a stay there before and after going in.
There are two main difficulties on the track in; if too early in the season, there are some sticky black-soil sections and there a few pretty rough jump-ups which need good clearance to get thru without scrunching the underside. Not a good idea to tow a trailer in, but I know people who have.
If you can do it, the drive on to Walcott Inlet is rewarding (pretty rough, and another day's drive for the 80km) and I would suggest camping on the Brockman River (a creek, really), about 20km back from the inlet, as it is the last fresh water before the inlet, and has shade. Along both sections, you will come across plenty of aboriginal art.
If you don't have time for Walcott, at least do the drive to the Calder River crossing, and check out Wren Gorge along the way.
Any more info, contact me on gerron@bigpond.net.au
rgds
Gerry
AnswerID: 28334

Reply By: Greg(Port Hedland) - Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:21

Monday, Aug 18, 2003 at 19:21
Drive in to Bachstan camp is a easy going one day drive with many sights to see,
Jamisons Arch, Drysdale river crossing, aboriganal rock art and the Bachstan falls a short walk from the camp sight. The road from Bachstan to Munga camp (Walcott) is much more difficult but awsome all the same.
AnswerID: 28341

Sponsored Links