OziExplorer, moving maps on Garmin/Tomtom devices

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 19:59
ThreadID: 66506 Views:9652 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, my apologies if this question has been raised before & I failed to find it.

I am looking for a GPS device (not PDA/laptop with receiver) on which I can exploit the wonders of OziExplorer:
- navigate custom maps (e.g. geo-referenced raster images)
- load and save waypoints, tracks & routes

I am aware of the following:
- recent OziEx releases allow import/export of Garmin Nuvi gpx files so you can save and load waypoints & tracks with your device.
- some (e.g. Navman) devices run on a WindowsCE core, which you may be able to set to boot into and hence can run the likes of OziexplorerCE.

Can you answer for Garmin Nuvi 710/500/ 205w:
- Is there a way to do the WindowsCE boot option? If so, will OziExplorerCE work and will it work in moving map mode?
- Is there another way to install and run OziExplorerCE on the device?
- Can you import your own maps that you've geo-referenced from raster images, e.g. using Oziexplorer, and navigate using them?

I would appreciate any insight. If there are other Garmin or Tomtom models that can do the above, please let me know.

With thanks
FBJ

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 21:41

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 21:41
If you don't want to employ a PDA device or a Laprtop, the only other option to the best of my knowledge is the Hema Navigator (or its equivalent, which comes with OziExplorer preinstalled and uses (obviously) Hema maps. Also comes with "Route66" for street by street voice guided navigation software.

Never know the Gamin range to run OziExplorer. Garmin has its own unique application software.

Member Doug is the wizard with Garmin.

Why the limitation on not using a PDA?

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 352225

Follow Up By: FBJ - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:01

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:01
Thanks for the advice on the Nema, Bill. unfortunately I will need to use it in South Africa & Australia and there's no vendors/support for Nema in South Africa afaik.

PDAs have small screens, are less rugged and simply cost more unless they're part of a contract.

Incidentally, I found the following useful resource: "Making Garmin Custom Maps"

FBJ
FollowupID: 620451

Follow Up By: FBJ - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:05

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:05
whoops - 'scuse the Nema/Hema typo.
FollowupID: 620453

Reply By: ben_gv3 - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:13

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:13
The Hema Navigator is a rebadged Mio unit. Both use Windows CE. There's a few people on the net (patrol forum I think plus a few others) who have instructions on how to crack it so you can install Ozi onto it.
AnswerID: 352233

Follow Up By: FBJ - Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:49

Wednesday, Mar 04, 2009 at 22:49
that's very useful info - thank you!
FollowupID: 620458

Reply By: psproule - Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:35

Thursday, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:35
I have a hacked Navman S50. I used the Miopocket 2 Hack which turns the Navman (and many other devices) into a full blown PDA. Then I installed Oziexplorer on it + the map sets I required. Works a treat. We have hacked several others for friends & all were delighted.

I posted a set of instructions here (pajero club) some time ago.

Pat
AnswerID: 352255

Sponsored Links