Water quality

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 21:31
ThreadID: 66746 Views:2723 Replies:11 FollowUps:24
This Thread has been Archived
we are currently touring the SW of WA. Some of the towns have terrible tasting water, bore water we are told. We also use a water filter fitted to our caravan, the Aqua Pure cartridge type. However this does not remove the terrible taste from the water. Does anyone know what type of cartridge will remove the taste from the water ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 21:42

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 21:42
George where are you at the moment,in the south west, as i am in Bunbury,

Cheers for now...William H...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 353499

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:22

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:22
Hi William, we're in Bremer Bay. Cheers
FollowupID: 621631

Follow Up By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:27

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:27
William

We must get down your way again soon. Definitely worth the drive to go past Lake Clifton winery. They have the absolute greatest plum port, mango liqueur and strawberry liqueur. Last time we bought a bottle we were going to have just a small glass each, each night we were camping. We go to Kokerbin rock on the first day and the entire bottle was consumed prior to dinner that night...LOL

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 621634

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:41

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:41
George which way are you heading, north, East or West.

FollowupID: 621651

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:10

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:10
Hi RFLundgren.

I have past the Lake Clifton winery many times, and i keep saying that i must go in their, for a drop,trouble is i like the mango one, and then the second,third,then it's time to sleep in the tojo for a wile,as i would be over the ".05",next time i go past i will get one of each, and take home, then i know i wont loose the licence,
also on the south west highway at yarloop, their is a big black tree on the left side of the road, heading south, if you turn left at the tree, and follow the road till the black stuff finnishes, and go 100mtrs further on the pea gravel, you will find a little winery on the right,go through the white boom gate, and you will be at skipworth wines, he has a white Port, also a red ruby port in flagons for $15:00 dollars, be very carefull when you have some of that one, you could spend a week down at bunbury tripping around tasting the wines down here, Ok if you are down call in for a cuppa and will catch up with you again soon.

FollowupID: 621655

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:32

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:32
Hi William, Heading back to Perth over the next week, Albany, Walpole Collie. Cheers
FollowupID: 621727

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 21:56

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 21:56
Some of the water over there is pretty crook, a carbon cartidge should remove most of the taste, but I find running a few open topped containers like jugs or large bowls and leaving it sit over night makes a big difference.

AnswerID: 353503

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:25

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 22:25
Hi Notso, the carbon cartridge we have tried is 25 micron but it lasted about 5 litres before the taste was back again. will try what you suggested and let you know how it went. Cheers
FollowupID: 621632

Follow Up By: muzzgit - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:16

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:16
Bremer bay has the worst water!

When you get to Albany, stock up! Or if your headed the other way, Esperance water is OK too.

Cheers,

Muzz
FollowupID: 621644

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:26

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:26
Notso, i find leaving the water in a jug works to get rid of the chemical taste from town water supplies, but not with the dissolved minerals in bore water.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621645

Follow Up By: Notso - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:16

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:16
Yeah, what happens when you leave the water overnight is twofold, if the foul taste is from Iron salts, leaving it open to the air will oxidise some of the iron and it will deposit out to the bottom of the bowl, the other is any gasses such as hydrogen sulphide wbeing volatile will evaporate overnight.

Not saying it will be perfect but it may improve. The more the water is aerated such as pouring it from jug to jug etc the better the effect.

Good luck
FollowupID: 621676

Follow Up By: Rossc0 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:23
Get a 5 micron carbon filter.

We have one on our house supply (bore water) precede by a dirt only filter and it usually lasts about 12 months before needing replacement.

All water in the house goes through the filter.

Also the britax (sp) filter jugs work well.

Cheers
Ross
FollowupID: 621721

Follow Up By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:35

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:35
Hi Notso, did what you suggested but did not notice any difference next morning. The taste is still a metallic/mineral taste. Cheers
FollowupID: 621729

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:40

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:40
Rossc0,

Strathdickie area has an Iron and Manganese problem, with the Iron precipating out easily and caught by your filters. Manganese to a lesser extend.

Micro-filters will not remove the dissolved salts that are at a molecular level.

George, read my suggestion below....

Andrew
FollowupID: 621735

Reply By: ozwasp - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:14

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:14
It's probably 'hard water' and full of minerals... Surely it'd be better for you than city water!!
AnswerID: 353518

Follow Up By: Member - William H (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:19

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:19
OZWASP.

When i go to Perth, i take ten 20ltr water bottles with me to bring back to Eaton, for cooking with,as the water in this house has eaten out the taps, need to clean and change the washer's ever three months, the water has stuffed up the electric iron, rusted out the s/steel kettle, and eats away the shower rosie, the products they used in this house are of very poor quality,even the sprinkler system is blocked up with crud and lime from the water,but i live with it.

FollowupID: 621656

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:23

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:23
Hi George

I don't know of any filter than will take out the taste. Usually until you make the first cup of tea you don't know just how the water will taste. We have one dedicated drinking water tank and use that for drinking if the water we pick up is horrid. It lasts us a long time, as most water we get is just normal town water supply and fine for everything including drinking. We also carry a couple of jerry cans of good drinking water in the tow vehicle for emergency supplies. If you want good water - head for Kununurra!

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 353521

Follow Up By: Kroozer - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:17

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 04:17
Honestly, are you serious? Kununurra water is the worst water ever and im sure many Kimberley folk can second that. Its bore water, they have the biggest water supply in Australia yet they drink bore water, which is sitting beneath an old dumping ground. How baxk to front is that. Wyndham has the best water, Mt Franklin and Wyndham water is identical. Pure rain water, Even Broome water is better then Kununurra. Believe me, not even cordial could make KNX water taste right. No offence Motherhen but on sporting carnivals as a kid in KNX we would go without water for 2 days as it was too horrible. And its still the same.
Mate works for the Water Corp so he lets me in on some secrets also. Not mush good in it i tell ya know.
FollowupID: 621670

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 20:01

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 20:01
Hi Kroozer

We stayed three weeks in a CP at Kununurra and had no problems with drinking the water - it was fresh and nice and i thought from the lake. Then we stayed two weeks with friends on Lake Kununurra. They pumped straight out of the lake to a pressure tank for the house. The water was beautiful and we filled our tanks and water canisters. Unfortunately stone damage on the Duncan Road broke a tap on the water tanks and we lost 160 litres - we had to fill up with awful calcium water from Halls Creek.

Throughout the Kimberley the water was good. The best water of the trip was from our stay at Charnley River Station. I understand it was bore water - but it was the freshest tasting water of the whole trip.

At home we use rain water (soak water in dry years), so are not used to the additives in town water. When we go to Perth we find it undrinkable fresh, but tolerable in a cup of tea or by adding cordial.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621818

Follow Up By: Member - John W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:36

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:36
End of last year knx water was good,nothing unusual about it,
BBBut the water from Mt Barnet would have to be the strongest
odour and smell that I can remember for a long while.
Even 4 months later my tank has its treatment smell,even my .2micron only just managed to to make it drinkable,woaa.
FollowupID: 621855

Reply By: disco driver - Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:45

Wednesday, Mar 11, 2009 at 23:45
George,
I'll agree that some of the SW towns have crap tasting water but it is potable, and as such, won't cause any problems except taste.

Denmark water was particularly bad but I found that boiling it and allowing it to cool makes a big difference and you won't notice it in cooking or showers. (After we had some serious rain which replenished the town dam here, the water quality improved big time, previously the water was taken from the Denmark river and then treated as per the usual way.)

If you find it is too bad, take the easy option and consider buying plastic 10 or15 litre bottles and use them for tea,coffee,drinking and diluting whisky (if that's your choice of tipple).

The locals have acclimatised to the taste or as in my case, have solved the problem by using Mr Rudds Xmas bonus and installing a rain watertank.

(Before any health concious idealists tells me that is only for the garden because of the health risks, let me assure them that I am aware of the risks but choose to ignore them, as I have been doing for the last 40+ years.)

Hope this helps

Disco.
AnswerID: 353522

Follow Up By: Twintrail(W.A.) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:20

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 00:20
problem solved drink beer.regards
FollowupID: 621657

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:59

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:59
I honestly don't understand the kafuffel about drinking rainwater. All I have heard is that you are not supposed to drink it; but why?On the farm, that was all we had. If you didn't drink the rainwater from the tank, then you didn't get any water, because there wasn't anything else. same went at school, sports events, church etc.

Once a year we would clean the tanks ready for the coming rains, and you didn't waste any either; it was too precious. It always tasted better than town water supplies that had water treatment plants. In other places I have lived, untreated water was pumped from the river or bore; surely rain water tanks can't be worse than that?

Is there a site that explains why you can't drink rainwater; or is that for cities with pollution from asbestos brake dust and exhaust fumes etc?
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621683

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:23

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 13:23
Fred,

It is purely a risk thing, with Authorities not vouching for the quality of the rainwater, especially in built-up areas and/or industrial areas.

It "may" not meet the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines for certain parameters in ALL cases, hence the risk is too great for many Councils to ratify the use of rainwater.

Frog poop and eucalytpus leaves never killed me. :-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 621754

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:08
Thanks for that response Andrew. Can understand where they are coming from. But I reckon that if every city, rural town, village, station etc tested their water every week (according to Aus Standards), there wouldn't be too many places that would have suitable water to drink.

A couple of years ago some uni down south (inconjunction with an independant lab) took (from memory) around 3000 water samples from around Aus. Something like 85% failed to meet the standard. There was a lot of kafuffle at the time in the media, but apart from one remote community in the NT and one in SA, I don't think anything much was done. Both the above communities had bores put in by their respective governments. Would be very interesting to see how (clean) water tanks measured up against those tested by the uni???
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621758

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:30

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:30
The ADWG contain 2 sets of criteria, one for health and one for aesthetics. Whilst i would suggest that most public water supplies meet health criteria, they "may" not meet the water aesthetics criteria. With over 300 parameters, odds are that they will breach one of them! :-)

In terms of the health criteria, micro-organisms are a significant component of these, and given that there is no control over the disinfection of rainwater, there is a risk that potentially harmful micro-organism can exist in the rainwater system.

In most cases, chlorine kills these organisms, however we all know that most people who drink rainwater don't disinfect (chlorinate etc) their system for obvious reasons (taste mainly).

We did basic testing of our rainwater at our old home, and found that they grew heaps of colonies on the petrie dishes. :-)

Andrew
FollowupID: 621761

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 20:04

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 20:04
Builds up the immune system and your kids grow up healthy.

When i was working in town, i used to take rainwater in for my colleagues to drink as they preferred it to town water (which in Bridgetown is quite good). My daughter fills up water jerry cans from our place for drinking water for her family.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621821

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:37

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 01:37
I grew up on rainwater, I don't like town water so we have had a rainwater tank for some years now (just for drinking), when we were transferring around the State we use to take the tank with us from place to place, now that we are retired we have one which has a "filter" on it which collects all the dirt and dust from the roof before the water goes into the tank, BTW I still have my own teeth LOL.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 621860

Reply By: fisho64 - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:58

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 01:58
boil the kettle 3 or 4 times
AnswerID: 353530

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:18

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:18
If the taste is due to bore water, then it is more than likely due to the dissolved salts.

The problems with bore water inherantly is dissolved "salts", iron and manganese (also a dissolved mineral but can be treated easily compared to other dissolved minerals), and hardness, but the taste component usually comes from the salts.

If the taste is from the dissolved salts, then the only effective form of treatment is desalination, through either reverse-osmosis or distillation (boiling and condensing etc).

A portable RO system would help, though these aren't that cheap. Boiling the water and condensing the steam (AKA Malcom Doulgas style) would also work.

Hope that helps.

Andrew
AnswerID: 353571

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:40

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:40
ay thanks to everyone for your suggestions/replies. It seem that we could try the 1 micron carbon filter, failing that, carry a seperate drinking water only supply in a plastic jerry can. Any other filtration system is going to be too expensive, I think. Cheers
AnswerID: 353574

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:14

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:14
Seriously, don't waste your money trying to using micro-filtration (0.1 to 10 microns) technology if you are talking salts dissolved in bore water.

My engineer wife designs these systems for a living (water treatment plants, desalination systems, Reverse-osmosis systems, town water supplies etc), and what you are suggesting may not have adequate results IMO.

If you want to buy a filtration system, make sure you take a sample of the water and test it before commiting your money. Unfortunately there are those types of salespeople that do not understand what they are selling eg Reverse osmosis is not just another fine filter.

Andrew
FollowupID: 621742

Reply By: slammin - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:44

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:44
Carbon Filters ain't carbon filters and oils ain't oils. LOL

I have lived with different bores throughout the NT and the only solution is a superfine filter. they come in ratings of microns. The jobby you want is a 0.05 which is abig difference to the standard fine filter of 0.5 filter.

0.05 will remove lot's of the taste and odour - not all but a big difference none the less. The only problem is the do require a bit more pressure. Nothing ridiulous and you should be fine but to cover my a$$ it would be sensible to check what you have and what it will need.

The big advantage of the 0.05 is that it will remove 99.9% of bacterias and cysts etc etc

regards,

Sam.
AnswerID: 353575

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:08

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 18:08
Here in Adelaide we have enjoyed cod ordinary water (and worse) since settlement it would seem. But on our 11 week trip around WA last year it was hoot to see all the orange stains on buildings, road signs, kerbing and anything that ever gets watered splashed on regularly - even right up the coast around Shark Bay and beyond - talk about minerals - maybe that water could be refined for $$ :-o).......... as for drinking...... we just take 120L of rainwater when we leave home (camper's belly tank), top it up with the best water we can find as we go and pray that it will see us out..... I try and remember in each town camp to top up continually .....that way, we always seem to have enough decent water in those Bremer type towns.... oh .... and we use one of the Brita jugs with the disposable cartridges.
AnswerID: 353633

Reply By: Member - John W (WA) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:27

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:27
Use a carbon cartridge.
I use a .5 micron aqua pure at home
and for travel .2micron ceramic/carbon
that takes out all crappy flavours,may need a pre filter if water is dodgy quality,but town water wont have too much in the free
bacteria area,so should be ok.
AnswerID: 353716

Sponsored Links