Gemhunter off-road Caravans. Do you have any experiences or info about these ?

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:52
ThreadID: 66755 Views:8324 Replies:6 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking at their website and have sent them an email asking a few questions as I am thinking of downsizing my van and Bushtracker refuse to make a 14 footer for me.

Anybody know anything about them ?

Thanks,

Willie.

http://www.gemhunter.com.au/faq.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:17

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:17
AnswerID: 353581

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:08

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 14:08
G'day Willie,

Not the BT - that's a shame! I know that as a Gnomad you might want things a bit smaller.

I did see some writing on this van in the usual mags but that was a while ago.

Sorry I can't help.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 353600

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 15:26

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 15:26
Hi Theo,

Hobbits and Gnomads only need a small living space.

I would not swap the BT for anything unless it was really tough as nails.

Willie.
FollowupID: 621770

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:09

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:09
I've never heard of the them Willie. I'm sure when you were looking before the small Supreme off roader was mentioned. I have met a few people with the tiny one (i don't know if they even make it now), i think about 12' long, rear door, and width same as Cruiser for narrow tracks. Sideways bed - no good for tall people like my Rooster and small kitchen/living area. No bathroom. They people I've spoken too have been very pleased with their purchase, and one couple we met at Roxby Downs were living in theirs while looking for work in the mining areas as well as doing a bit of fossicking. They were on their second tow vehicle with the same van.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 353714

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:12

Thursday, Mar 12, 2009 at 23:12
Or if you really want small with high clearance and quick assembly - there is the Kimberley Karavan - but they cost a lot.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621850

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:04

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:04
Mrs Hen,

Thank you, but I am only interested in full height vans - no pop tops or wind ups to cause trouble, inconvenience and dust leaks.

Actually, I am not a fan of the K Karavan because it is sooo heavy for it's size and what it offers.

The Supreme is a bit basic for man of such obvious taste such as myself.

Cheers,

Willie.
FollowupID: 621901

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 13:37

Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 13:37
Yes, i can see you are a man of taste Willie, that is why you have a Bushtracker

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 621925

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:48

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 18:48
Hey, Willie, I remember what you said last time. LOL Then you made your BT weigh heaps more. hehehhe. Mutha, you did say they cost a lot, I think the BT qualifies that way too.

On the dust front, the Dometic a/c is a dust leaker with dust being sucked in or pressure being lost with four 8mm diameter holes in the section by the evaporator.
FollowupID: 622717

Reply By: Tonyqld - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:20

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:20
Just checking, haven't actually participated in this forum before, and post I thougn I made didn't show.
AnswerID: 355299

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:10

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 14:10
workin fine now tony. Talk away!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 623352

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:45

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:45
Hi Bonz,
No, he really has got a problem. He lodged a followup and I hit the GO TO button on the email notification to take me to the thread - I get here and there is no "follow up"here from Tony. I refreshed and still nothing. Very odd.
Cheers,
Willie.
FollowupID: 623374

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Thoughtfully- Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:07

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:07
Yer Willie I happen to know that the followup was removed by one of the moderators due to his request that why you cant see it.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 623383

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:52

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 18:52
OK . He must have had second thoughts about posting his phone number. Cheers.
FollowupID: 623392

Reply By: Tonyqld - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:47

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 11:47
Sorry I have tried twice to post but both times it has not posted. Am not going to write it out again.

They are great. We have done 40000 ks 25000 on dirt and are very happy.
Give John and Diann a call. They are good honest people who will look after you
AnswerID: 355301

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:00

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 12:00
Tony,

Thanks for trying. I contacted the company and received a nice email back.

I just asked a few basic questions about what sort of stuff they build ( ie dual axle, dustproof etc ).

I am not ready to buy the van yet, so I do not want to put this guy to a lot of trouble and then leave him disappointed.

To summarise, it appears that he is great quality, expensive and will do just about any design you want.

What did you have built and how has it performed on dirt roads - regarding dust proofing and damage on corrugations? Is yours a single axle and have you got air bag or spring suspension ?

Cheers,

Willie
FollowupID: 623334

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:48

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 16:48
Tony,

I rang at 4.45 - I have been out all afternoon. I have your number and I will try again later.

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 623375

Reply By: Tonyqld - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:09

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:09
Sorry, I don't spend much time on computer. Just at weekends to do my work.
We bought our Gemhunter at the Brisbane show in 2007. After years of looking, and not finding antything that suited our needs, from van to camper,we were first attracted by the layout. Ours has a fully external kitchen, which allows a full size ensuite with seperate shower, toilet and vanity, with also a two seater lounge with pull out table and a queen sized bed. Pretty interesting in 14'6".
The quality of components and build stood up to inspection. As we all know there are vans and there are vans.
After dragging the thing along all sorts of outback roads and tracks, dusty, corrugated and even some very wet on the way to Windorah from Blackall for last years Birdsville race week, we can say confidently that the thing is strong and user friendly.
It doesn't leak dust, the airbags really do give it a soft ride on very rough stuff, and they make levelling up an asolute breeze, so that you sleep level at night.
The construction from laminated panel gives both strength, I walk about on the roof to clean the solar panels, and insulation. It is comfortble enough to sleep in during the heat of day, in full sun, and at night has been warm enough to sleep in jocks, and one doona in -6, and go to the dunny without getting frozen.
The owners of the company are not only friendly and genuinely interested in getting a quality productto their customers, but they are honest. And no middlemen or salesmen.
AnswerID: 356703

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Sydney. - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:51

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:51
Hi Tony,

I have tried to ring you three times, but no answer. Thanks for this information. It sounds as though they make a great product.

Last week I emailed my ideas / plans for a new 14 foot van to John at Gemhunter. I will not be placing an order until about July, as I will be detecting around Laverton for five weeks from June. I have asked him to have quick look at the plan, tell me if it is "doable" and to give me a very vague ball park cost.

He is going to get back to me soon.

If you are interested, I can email my plans to you to look at. My email address is jigalongjigalong@gmail.com so just email me and I will send them back to you.

I have gone for a design with bunks to save space and to allow me to go camping with a mate and not have to have him swag it outside, as he does now. The Bushtracker has a queen-size bed which most people like, but I find it cuts down on my options.

Another thing on the plan, is a bench seat which looks towards the window, instead of at the bloody fridge !

Thanks,

Willie.
FollowupID: 624791

Sponsored Links