both 60"s off to Darwin

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 668 Views:2245 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
can do with help from persons having been to Darwin via Maree . wife and i intend to go next june and have a disco plus windsor poptop.
andy help and where to stay and what to see most appreciated. we usually cover around 500 k per day and have two months. regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
Peter just back from top end and Qld gulf and Borraloola...Don,t miss the following:
camp at Elsey NP Mataranka very nice and just 17 km out of Mataranka go to Bitter Springs for a swim it's great and much nicer than mataranka pool.
Another must see do is the pool and top walk at Edith Springs about 40km north of Katherine it is also a Npark with good camp sites.
Must see and swim at Litchfield with various falls and pools.
Go to Kakadu and stay in the NP campgrounds rather than Cooinda.Too many tourists and a bit dirty. Try to go to walks early to beat heat and tourist buses. Must see Nourlangie and Obirr ,great.
Dont stay in Caravan parks too close to darwin too noisy from airport.
try fish and chips on Darwin Wharf it is a must also.
Hope it helps you a bit these are just some of the places which we thought were good this was our 4th trip to the NT.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 1805

Reply By: Ray - Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2002 at 01:00
Peter just back from top end and Qld gulf and Borraloola...Don,t miss the following:
camp at Elsey NP Mataranka very nice and just 17 km out of Mataranka go to Bitter Springs for a swim it's great and much nicer than mataranka pool.
Another must see do is the pool and top walk at Edith Springs about 40km north of Katherine it is also a Npark with good camp sites.
Must see and swim at Litchfield with various falls and pools.
Go to Kakadu and stay in the NP campgrounds rather than Cooinda.Too many tourists and a bit dirty. Try to go to walks early to beat heat and tourist buses. Must see Nourlangie and Obirr ,great.
Dont stay in Caravan parks too close to darwin too noisy from airport.
try fish and chips on Darwin Wharf it is a must also.
Hope it helps you a bit these are just some of the places which we thought were good this was our 4th trip to the NT.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 1806

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00
Road from william creek to coober pedy is ok for vans. On the oodnadatta track, there are too many vehicles in a hurry so watch out for your windscreen.
Get your fuel from big brand names like mobil. I have had bad fuel but found cadnee station, alice, tennant, elliot, mataranka katherine all ok for Mobil.
AnswerID: 1821

Reply By: Neil - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00
Peter Sean's right about the fuel.......don't always get the cheapest. Most of the spots you'll want to see have been mentioned, but for a fun freebie call into Copperfield Dam, sth of Darwin near Pine Creek. you can stay for max. 3 days safe swimming, great crowd when we stayed, we had a ball. We stayed at Lee Point in Darwin nice park big park, good ammen,s....and had no probs with plane noise. Have a great trip !
AnswerID: 1825

Reply By: Phil - Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 08, 2002 at 01:00
I live in Alice and have doubts about travelling the back roads with a van. It can be done but you may damage your trailer. All the tourist brouchures here advise that trailers not be taken on most out back roads as they are just too rough.I am not speaking with my own experience.
AnswerID: 2020

Sponsored Links