Fraser Is Eastern Beach Blocked at Poyungan Rocks

Submitted: Friday, Mar 13, 2009 at 23:05
ThreadID: 66815 Views:2531 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Heard on ABC radio this morning that the Fraser Is eastern beach is blocked at Poyungan Rocks due to exposed coffee rock following the cyclone (which washed all the sand away). They said that the only way around is via the inland tracks- Cornwall's Break road (a long slow rough trip). This was backed up by comments posted today on the EPA Qld website.
http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/publications/p01663aa.pdf/Fraser_Island_conditions_report_last_updated_13_march_2009.pdf

The radio report went on to say that there would be an emergency meeting today of rangers, residents etc. to plan a solution.
My question- does anyone know what happened at the meeting, and if there will be a way through ?
Got a trip there planned for Easter, and wouldn't get my Windsor Rapid around the Cornwall's Break road. Then again, they must be running short of supplies (fuel, rubbish and supply trucks, etc, which can't get through the inland road either).
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:21

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 08:21
i copied this reply of Daves' on the same subject from Overlander forum. hopefully he might be able to keep us updated over the next week or so what's happening over there.

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:34 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard yesterday that 'some' vehicles were getting across the coffee rock at Poyungan.

The Cornwalls Break detour is a long one, taking you to the Northern Road, then to Postans Road and into Happy Valley through Garrawongera, easily 3 hours.

Chard rocks became exposed an impassable a few years ago, and within two weeks of normal weather the sand had deposited enough to be able to go over them, and within a year they were lost from sight again.

As for heavy vehicles, I think that any heading to Happy Valley and beyond will be using the Moon Point barge for the next little while

AnswerID: 353917

Reply By: rumpig - Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 21:16

Saturday, Mar 14, 2009 at 21:16
another update from Dave on Overlander

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have it on good authority that regular sized vehicles are travelling through the affected area without any trouble at all. Larger vehicles cannot get through however.

(I have no idea if these people are driving past barriers of signs, just that they are not having any difficulty. One described the closure as a "joke".)

Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:46 pm Post subject:

DionM wrote:
chopper wrote:
I have it on good authority that regular sized vehicles are travelling through the affected area without any trouble at all. Larger vehicles cannot get through however.

What does that mean, though?

Quote:

(I have no idea if these people are driving past barriers of signs, just that they are not having any difficulty. One described the closure as a "joke".)

Interesting.

It means that the gap that they are driving through is too narrow for a bus or truck... (I believe)

AnswerID: 354031

Sponsored Links