Two nights or three?

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:06
ThreadID: 6685 Views:2088 Replies:11 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Fellow Adventurers,

I am in a dilemma. The wife and kids have me taking them to the Red Centre late Sept early Oct and I am having an issue with planning. I have a day/night up my sleeve between Glen Helen Resort and Ross River Resort. Which would be the better option IYHO.

I have the gorges covered in the planning, but not sure which is the better place to stay an extra day/night.

Help is required!

CheersJust Do It!

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:14

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:14
I'm no help to you - when I go out there the only resort I go near has Aussie Swag on the side..... :-))Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 28439

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:17

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:17
I should have said that I am only camping. Can't afford the luxury, especially at the prices charged in the Alice area.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 19707

Reply By: Member - Bill- Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:39

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:39
Glenn,

We were out that way last year. Ross River H/S has the better campground in our opinion. We did the look-around at Glen Helen and kept going to the Alice. Regds

Bill
AnswerID: 28441

Follow Up By: jules - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:48

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:48
Hi - check that Ross River homestead is open - son was out there in May this year and all closed up - Glen Helen is pretty good - had lunch there earlier this year - great atmosphere and people - and scenery!
jules
FollowupID: 19711

Reply By: jules - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:49

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 15:49
By the way - stay at G'day Mate in Alice - very reasonable, small park - terrific people - say hello to Pete and Deb
Jules
AnswerID: 28443

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:07

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:07
Glenn,
Ross River was closed last month. No indication it will open. I am not a "caravan park" person by choice, but I think Glen Helen Resort is an awful place to stay. As far as caravan parks go, it is probably the worst in Central Oz. There are hundreds of great places to camp safely in the bush.
Ian
AnswerID: 28445

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:59

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 16:59
Hi Ian,

Why do you give it such a bad rating? Is it the facilities? The people? Too crowded? No grass?Just Do It!

FollowupID: 19718

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:13

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:13
Glenn,

The camp area at Glen Helen Resort is like a large car park next to the petrol pumps. It will be warm to very warm when you go and you will need shade...not much at Glen Helen. It will be busy and dusty with vehicles (like me) coming for fuel or supplies. It is not a place to relax, or to let kids run around. (there is a bar though if that is what you want). Overall, I think you would be disappointed.

If you want to state your email I will contact you direct about the best places.

Ian
AnswerID: 28450

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:18

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 17:18
Glenn we were at glen hellen a few years back and it was not real special the scenery was great but the so called resort was a joke the camp ground was just as bad. if i were to stay some were it would be at Ellerys Big hole from memory there were long drop toilets. But not mutch else.
All the best Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
4wd Tag Along AdventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 28451

Reply By: Williewags- Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 18:20

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 18:20
Glenn,

Both of the Resorts that you mentioned are misnamed. They are just horrible camps with alcolhol outlets and overpriced everything. But if you need a commercial camping ground then that is where you have to stay.

If you want a good bush camp between the points that you mention then there is one at Ellery Creek. Not the NP camp. Driving east from Glen Helen turn off into Ellery Creek itself and drive for 5km to Red Cliffs. Nice campsite there and there may even be some water for a swim. From this campsite you can walk along the hills to the east. At the first gully on your left walk through the range. You are now in the Horn Valley. Here you may find sea fossils dating back to the Ordovician oeriod some 500 million years ago..............this campsite has no facilities and you will most likely be the only campers there.

There are lots of bush camps in Central Australia...you just have to look for them.

Cheers,

Willie

Fitzmaurice River NT
AnswerID: 28459

Reply By: bruce.h (WA) - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 19:02

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 19:02
Glen
my advise would be dont over plan it keep that day up your sleave & use when you come across a place where you think sh*t wish we had more time here.
I spent 5 weeks traveling the nt & was greatful for the fact that we never set to ridged an it itinery ,as it aloud us so much freedom to do as the sceenery dictated
hope this is usefull you will love the NT
Regarsd Bruce
AnswerID: 28466

Reply By: Slammin - Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 22:31

Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003 at 22:31
This is a good site, eh.
All the above is correct, Ross R. is closed till further, Glen Helen camping has only three attributes, the bar and restaurant (which is doing good food finally), and they also have live music Wed-Sun which is excellent and well worth staying for. IMHO if staying I'd rather pay $20 for a bunk (never drink drive) or there is bush camping on the river at G.H. ask at the desk, very helpful. Set up camp and go to the Homestead for the show.
Basically get back on to Namitjira head W towards the R and look for a track on N of Rd about 300m from G.H. turnoff. More spots than you can point the proverbial at. Also good bush camping at Serpentine.
On the East Trephina Gorge NP has a couple of options or for commercial stay at Arltunga, avge campground, but a shower can be vital for some, the pub is rumoured to be open V. soon.
As to which is the best, Trephina is pretty awesome. For bush camping check out all the above posts and if it looks good, do it. You can always come back again!
AnswerID: 28505

Reply By: haze - Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:25

Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003 at 21:25
Mate, if I may say so you are following to the tee all the rules of "rip bust and tear" Going too far, too quick, and going to miss the bloody lot.
Settle down to a bit of logical planning, its still going to be there next time.
I dont want you to be the bloke belting home at 120k,s busting my windscreen as you go past whilst I amble along!
Take it easy, have a good one.
haze
AnswerID: 28565

Reply By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:33

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 09:33
Thankyou all for your advice and replies.

I have decided to stay longer in Alice and do more day trips from there. I may camp one night near Glen Helen before doing the Meneenie Loop to Kings Canyon.

Haze,

You will have no problem with having me coming towards you @ 120 kmh. I prefer to travel slowly so that I can not only smell the serenity, but also see the serenity. If you are going to be up that way at the same time, let me know and we can have a nice cold one or two.

CheersJust Do It!

AnswerID: 28590

Sponsored Links