Trailertop Tinny ?????????

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 00:42
ThreadID: 66911 Views:4159 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Ok guys,, i need a little help with this one...
We have an 8 x 4 off road trailer which we are puting a boat rack on top of...

We dont really wanna cruise around the estuaries up north in a 10 or 11footer with a 9.9hp outboard,,, with tidal rivers, crocs and all the other cons of boating,,, even though i guess that size boat would be easy to handle on and off the trailer....

We are thinking more along the lines of 12.5 or 13 foot with a 15hp....

This boat is going to be upside down on top of the trailer...

Has anyone got some hints or ideas on the best way to use a larger tinny whilst still having it a simple removal etc of the rack...

It would be nice if it was a one man job,, maybe using a boat winch somewhere.. for example...

Who has used and manhandled a larger tinny up on a trailertop and lived to tell the tale??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John M (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 07:38

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 07:38
Hi Vowson

I use a 3.75 metre tinnie on top of my truck and use a Jamic Boat Loader. Have a look at my profile. It's a 1 man operation and takes about 2 minutes. My wife can put the boat up there by herself. Jamic are in WA and their lifters can handle 120kg SWL.
Anything else I can help with please contact me.
Regards John
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 354471

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:28

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:28
G'day Voxon,

A trailer will make life comfortable and I did notice the absense of one in your previous pics! I have tried the tinnie on the trailer and did survive long enough to make the next trip and have the tinnie on the car. Our tinnie weighs around 80 Kg and this is a lot of weight to move by yourself so an automatic boat loader for the tinnie on the car makes that task easier. I met several people with upmarket trailer and automated boat racks that had troubles keeping the rack off the side when not in use so they are also not without their problems.

I can handle the tinnie on my own now that's on the car but couldn't when it was on the trailer. Plus when it was on the trailer it had to come off even if we were not using the tinnie so I'm a fan of the car option these days.

I guess you didn't mention if your trailer was a camper trailer and this may change things - if not it could be less of a problem.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 354475

Follow Up By: Voxson - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:30

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:30
It is just an offroad trailer... Not camper...
Thanks for your info.
FollowupID: 622629

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:38

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 08:38
On several occasions I did do the job myself because my trailer rack was high enough (about 1.5 m) to lean the tinnie against and lift/slide it on. This wasn't the difficult part - it is moving it out of the way and tinnie wheels help. If the tinnie lives on the trailer most times it probably isn't a huge issue (not sure of you physical ability - I take it those big spares on the rear would be just as hard to move!).

Just another though for you, I bolted the tinnie to the rack (no tie downs) and it remained rock solid for the trip. Just some holes in the gunnel and through the rack. The only issue with that was lining up the holes and loosing the wingnuts (not along the way but while camped).

Kind regards
FollowupID: 622633

Reply By: Bushed-Tracker - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:57

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 14:57
An alternative you may consider is a Zodiac much lighter than a tinnie, requires less power and therefore pretty quick. They offer a range of extra's one of which is permanently fitted retractable wheels.

You have the choice of travelling inflated or packed in its bag. I have had a 2.85 m Zodiac Fast Roller for nearly four years. It is powered with a 5 hp two stroke and with 'one-up' will do 23-24 kph.

Mine, plus motor live in the back of the LC. And, to respond the the usual question "What about the crocs?" An agressive croc will have you out of a 12 tinnie just as quick as the Zodiac. I have lived in croc country for 25 years

Just an alternative idea. I think you will find they are cheaper and lighter than a tinnie. I have spent several years around the coral bommies fishing. Never had a problem.

B-T

AnswerID: 354530

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 17:30

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 17:30
We carted our old 3.6m / 12ft Clark tinny on our 80 series , home made ally roof rack with 4 rollers per side , tinny weight was 85kg [false floor included] was easy as to load /unload with SWMBO ,pain in the by lonesome , transom at vehicle rear /stand tinny up onto transom ,easy as from there,,
AnswerID: 354547

Follow Up By: Voxson - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:12

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:12
The Clark tinny..... High sides??
FollowupID: 622977

Follow Up By: Axel [ the real one ] - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:27

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 21:27
Yep , fairly high sides , had to put a sticker on the dash of the 80 series to remind me that I needed a minimum of 2.9 m clearance when had the boat on top , lol.
FollowupID: 623080

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:43

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 19:43
I sometimes carry my 3.4 meter tinnine inverted on my 7 x 5 trailer.

I made some angle iron brackets which bolt to the rear sides of the trailer and have a standard U-bracket with rollers on each side.

I don't need a winch as the boat is light enough to flip, lay the front sides against the rollers and lift the back while pushing forward.

The rollers contain the side gunwales of the boat.
A couple of sturdy straps hold the boat on without a problem.

I travelled with this setup from Adelaide to Darwin and back without dramas.

I can take a photo of the setup if required.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 354573

Follow Up By: Voxson - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:12

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 14:12
Bill,, A photo would be nice... Thanks...

gqpatrolatbigponddotnetdotau
FollowupID: 622978

Reply By: Voxson - Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:26

Tuesday, Mar 17, 2009 at 23:26
Thanks for the answers guys....
The zodiac answer is interesting,,,,,,
I will look through all the answers again
AnswerID: 354625

Sponsored Links