cable beach closure

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:18
ThreadID: 66950 Views:2124 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Broome Shire Council meeting tonight to discuss (and pass ????) closure of Cable Beach to vehicle traffic. At this stage the closure is apparently to occur November - March sunset to sunrise. Closure to protect nesting turtles. just the thin bit of the wedge before it is rammed home or am I just a bit paranoid? rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 19:22

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 19:22
Nah, the close needs to happen though. As with everything mate the minority wreck it for the majority. The turtles need to be helped along. After all this oil and gas crap goes ahead mate Broome wont be worth visiting anyway. Will ruin everything.
AnswerID: 354754

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:39

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 20:39
Paranoid.
AnswerID: 354765

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 22:31

Wednesday, Mar 18, 2009 at 22:31
OK Maverick. You seem to know the beach pretty well. Do you think nesting turtles are at risk? If so, do you think they need protecting? You raise the point but don't answer it. Last month I had the opportunity to dive with turtles. Wonderful experience. If turtles are at risk (and I don't know whether they are or not) then I would support protecting them.
AnswerID: 354788

Follow Up By: MAVERICK(WA) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:56

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 18:56
Know the beach very well - have rescued and photos of many morons bogged and washed away on Cable Beach over the years. And even after all this time I still have trouble getting a handle around why anyone needs to do >80kph along the beach. I have no problem with the closure as it is during the Wet and tidal. However - there has been movement in Broome for many years to get the whole lot closed all year round. This may be just the foothold needed. As for turtles - I regularly dive and tag and babysit and other stuff with turtles. A good time and the look on some of the volunteers who see them for the first time is priceless. Similar to the look when they see their first shark - and tagging them is fun. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 623040

Sponsored Links