Natmap into oziexplorer

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:34
ThreadID: 66998 Views:3129 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everybody,
This is Mrs George here hoping someone can help with my problem.
We have a new VistaPremium os Laptop .
I want to copy my Natmap file into Oziexplorer file --so far I have gone from Local Disc C
to Program Files
to Natmap
to Natmap Raster Viewer
to 1.6
to Map
to 250k Mosaic
to Natmap DVD 1
TO 250k.ECW

THEN I AM STUCK

Willem has helped me thus far but has never worked with Vista before so has come to a screaming halt !!

Help!
Cheers - thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:46

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:46
I have had a few issues myself..but here is what I have done..using Vista and the 2008 Natmaps...earlier versions no difference except you wont get the raster viewer to work on Vista

When you insert the CD it will most likely auto run into its own NATMAP directory...you can allow that but then go into the file menu of oziexplorer and "change image file name path and drive" and change the path that is set as default (oziexplorer/maps) to the appropriate Natmap directory

this will instruct oziexplorer to look there instead of the default (oziexplorer/ maps)

alternatively over ride the auto run function when loading the natmaps and use custom settings and instruct the instilation to plcae the maps into oziexplorer / maps

By the way Oziexplorer will not show up in program files it will stand alone on the C drive

hope that is of some help

Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355037

Follow Up By: George (NT) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:11

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:11
Thanks heaps will let you know how I get on
Mrs George
FollowupID: 623103

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:49

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:49
OK, I am just booting up my laptop so that i can give you the steps. But you need to close the Natmap viewer and open Oziexplorer and import the .ecw files from the Natmap DVD. There are several ways to copy the maps into the directory where you need them. Just give me a minute and I'll get back you if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 355039

Follow Up By: George (NT) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:12

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:12
Thanks Fred
Mrs George
FollowupID: 623104

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:52

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:52
Mrs George

Ripped this off Ozie site..

Using the NATMAP Digital Maps 2008 images from your Hard Disk.

Instructions for previous versions of the maps

Natmap 2005 - click on this link here)
Natmap 2003 and before - click on this link here)
Step 1. - Install the Natmap Viewer from the Natmap DVD and install the maps to the hard disk.

The Natmap Digital Maps 2008 installation software allows the maps to be copied to the hard disk during the installation of the Raster Viewer Software (The DVD will not be required to be in the DVD-ROM drive to load the maps). To do this select the "Complete" install option, the other option, "Typical", will only install the Raster Viewer.

(Note: The other install option "Custom" allows you to select the folder where the maps are copied to if you wish to change the location from the default. If you do change the location they are installed, OziExplorer will NOT automatically find and load the image from your hard disk.)

Step 2. - Install the (.map) files from the table in the Natmap Section on the Australian webpage.

Install the calibration files for OziExplorer (.map files) by running the self-installing file from the download link on the Australian webpage. The (.map) files for the Natmap maps will be installed under the OziExplorer Maps folder.

"C:\OziExplorer\Maps\Natmap Digital Maps 2008\DVD1" (and DVD2)
Step 3. - Loading a map.

You should now be able to load a Natmap map from the hard disk without having to insert the DVD by loading a map file from the folders above.

Note: If the image is not found and loaded, the images may not have been installed from the DVD or they may have been installed to a different drive or folder than the Natmap default. If this occurs, the map does not load and the "Warning" message is displayed that the image cannot be found. Click the "Find" button on the warning dialog and Browse the hard disk. If the image is found a message will be displayed, click OK to load the image. Save the (.map) file to make the change permanent.

Things to check if the maps are cannot be loaded

The correct (.map) files have been loaded for the version of the Natmap DVD that you have.
You have installed the map images to your hard drive using the "Complete" install option when you install the Natmap Software.
Check the version of OziExplorer you are running using the About option on the Help Menu, you may need to upgrade OziExplorer from the download link on the OziExplorer webpage.
Also see the Using the maps with OziExplorer page.

Hope it helps

Richard

OziExplorer

AnswerID: 355041

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:56

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 22:56
Thanks Richard, I forgot about the Oz web site had instructions.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623101

Reply By: George (NT) - Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:13

Thursday, Mar 19, 2009 at 23:13
Thanks Richard,
I will read the instructions a few times till it all sinks in then will give it a go......
Mrs George
AnswerID: 355046

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 07:43

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 07:43
George,

If you allow the default setting to install the NATMAP series of maps, you will need to specify DVD2 not DVD1.
DVD2 is where the 250k detailed maps are located.

Below is the settings within OziExplorer configuration, indicating the map path on my PC.

c:\program files\natmap\natmap raster viewer\1.6\maps\250k-maps\natmap-dvd2

Bill
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355065

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 07:59

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 07:59
Morning Bill

You are the closest to solving the problem but Mrs George is trying to install 250-Mosaic which is DVD1

But thats not the problem. The problem is that they have the latest version of Vista and cannot go from where the 250K.ecw file is. I cannot help them over the phone as I do not know what the Vista page looks like.

What I did with mine is to copy that 250K.ecw file to Maps in Ozi and then Import ECW Maps from there. It might not have been the correct process but it worked. I did this recently as I had to load Ozi into my old desktop and my new Netbook.

Cheers
FollowupID: 623120

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:15

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:15
Willem,
In Vista open up "Computer" which was formerly called "My Computer"
Then right click on the DVD drive (usually drive D)
Then click on "Explore"
and you can find the files you want, copy them, then paste into the C;\oziexplorer\maps folder
FollowupID: 623202

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:22

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:22
Thanks Phil but methinks you need to address this to Mrs George. I am still running dinosaur XP system. Mrs George is in Darwin and you know where I live....LOL

FollowupID: 623203

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:29

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:29
Couldn't you also use the "Img to ozf " program to place the files in the directory you want them. This will convert them to ozf3 format.

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 355100

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:12
Hi - I think they are talking about the 250K ecw mosaic. This file is too big to convert to OZF.

Not sure why they cant just cut and paste the ecw file from the DVD into a folder on the PC and then use "File - Import Map - ECW maps" to create calibration file (*.map). Why isnt this possible?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623161

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:26

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:26
Hello Greg

Mrs George is very sweet and a good friend for many years but she struggles with computer stuff. So I try to help and you know what I know...hahahaha

We live 3000km apart and converse by phone and I do not know what a Vista screen looks like. So therein lies the problem.

Cheers

FollowupID: 623204

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:43

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:43
Gidday
Yes it is always a challenge from a distance - I dont have the latest Natmap DVD or Vista - so like you cannot provide any help based on direct experience. My only suggestion is that above - use windows explorer to find the ecw file in the DVD, copy the file and paste to a folder on the PC and then import calibration data from the ecw file using OziExplorer "File - Import Map - ECW maps".

Maybe someone should start an OziExplorer training course road show while travelling around :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 623207

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:49

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:49
Hello again Greg

Thats is the problem

Vista does not seem to have 'Copy' icon in a dialog box. Right click on the 250K.ecw file and 'Copy' comes up but nothing happens. According to Mts G there is nothing on the left side of the page which may be helpful. Will ring again tonite. Maybe this perpelxing question has been solved by then....LOL

Me with my limited knowledge had to show an old fella(boy, he must be old!!) on the Wapet Road how his GPS works :-)

Cheers
FollowupID: 623209

Sponsored Links