Camper trailer tyre choices

Submitted: Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:59
ThreadID: 67010 Views:2924 Replies:8 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, here's yet another tyre question from a virgin forum user. I will be picking up a new H/D offroad camper trailer in a few weeks and need to make a tyre choice. The standard tyre coming with the trailer is a cheap A/t that looks an awful lot like a H/T pattern. I will most probably go for BFG A/T on my dual cab when it needs new feet, but at around $300 a pop, 3 tyres for the trailer is a bit pricey when there may be a cheaper alternative. I would still like to use them as a spare for the ute if needed when out and about. Tyre size is 30x9.5 15 any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Krakka - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:03

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:03
Ideally go for the same size tyre, A/T is good, with a brand you are comfortable with. Remember your camper is going where your vehicle is going so tyres need to be up to the job.
KRAKKA
AnswerID: 355127

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:20

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:20
My camper is fitted with exactly the same wheels as the car (original Nissan steels).

I currently run the same tyres on the camper as I do on the car. This was a system I adopted while living in Broken Hill. THe car got a lot of off road use and I ran around on a pretty aggressive AT. At about half tyre life I swapped them to the camper. The idea is that I can rotate all 8 tyres/wheels around both vehicles.

However, I am now living in Sydney and am seriously considering a set of milder AT's maybe even an HT for day to day use on the car. I will keep a more aggressive tyre on the camper and for both spares, so that I can swap the more aggressive tyre to the car for the occasional trip or weekend play. Even in the most difficult terrain the camper does not need super aggressive tyres because it does not do any of the driving, it just follows like a faithful puppy.

Duncs

AnswerID: 355128

Reply By: jenorator - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:46

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:46
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. I have been considering Maxxis MA751 tyres for the trailer. They seem to be the same dimensions but from the pictures I can find on the net are a fairly tame looking A/T compared to the BFG.
AnswerID: 355133

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:50

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 13:50
Hello Jenerator,
I, to, suggest you try to have the same wheels and tyres allround (no pun intended here). This gives you the option of having a second spare wheel for when you go touring offroad without the camper.

I agree with you that tyres such as the BFG's will cost quite a lot initially. However, they will last well and therefore be quite cost effective and they will give you great peace of mind when you are touring rough roads.

My camper has 15"Sunraysia style wheels that the previous owner had fitted with cheaper Korean AT tyres. Thankfully, they fit my 2006 DC SR5 D4D Hilux.

Enjoy the camper experience.
Netnut
AnswerID: 355135

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:31

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 15:31
jenorator

You do not need new tyres for your CT. Get some of similar dimesions as the tug and buy second hand ones. As long as they have between 10 and 20% wear left they will be OK for years. Probably get 3 tyres for $100 of you scratch around
AnswerID: 355147

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:19

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 21:19
I believe your right Willem,
The reason behind me agreeing is the trailer is being towed, It doesn't have steer tyres, and it doesn't have tyres that are having power put to the ground through them(if that makes sense).
I have a work trailer that has tyres on it that are well over 10 years old on it. I keep thinking those tyres are needing to be replaced soon cause they look a bit close to being bald, that was 5 years ago. they still have more than enough tread depth.
I have the same stud pattern on both, But the Cruiser has 15", a higher side wall than the trailer 16", so the camper has it's own spare. To change mine I would have to modify the the mud guard on the camper

FollowupID: 623264

Follow Up By: Sigmund - Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:33

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:33
But it is worth checking over old tyres carefully for damage.
FollowupID: 623295

Reply By: nickb - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:43

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:43
Here in Adelaide I recently bought some secondhand tyres for my camper. I got some 245/75/16 BFG AT for $55ea fitted, 2 tyres about 80-90% and the spare about 70%. I couldn't justify paying for new tyres when it will only get used 5-10 times a year on shortish trips.

Just have to ask around as prices at some places were double that for lesser quality tyres with less tread! Also check the classifieds and other 4x4 forums as 2nd hand tyres come up quite frequently.
AnswerID: 355234

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:59

Friday, Mar 20, 2009 at 22:59
Firestone Firehawk RMT.
AnswerID: 355238

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 05:39

Saturday, Mar 21, 2009 at 05:39
Jenorator

Ideally the same type and size as your tow vehicle.
I had it set up that way when we had the Navara, but have since changed vehicles and have been caught with different size tyres on my camper.
Now I have to carry different spares, for each. I have lost that little bit of convenience, but all my tyres are off road.. BFG's on the Patrol and Cooper ST's ( a bit smaller ) on the camper.

Think of the logistics here. Do you really want to run the risk of a highway tyre on your camper, when and if you go off road ?
I know I would want the peace of mind knowing that " ALL " my tyres were in good nick, and would not let me down, when I go off road

The choice will ultimately be yours.

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 355259

Follow Up By: jenorator - Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 18:00

Sunday, Mar 22, 2009 at 18:00
Thanks for the input everyone, local tyre dealer might have some 2nd hand Mickey Thompson ATZ coming in soon that should do the job. Looks like I got lucky. Cheers.
FollowupID: 623527

Sponsored Links