Roads into Cullyamurra Waterhole

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 16:25
ThreadID: 67185 Views:1801 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

we are getting ready to head up to Innamincka and onto the Cullyamurra waterhole in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know what the road conditions are like at the moment and if there has been any rain that we should be worried about. We will be taking an Xtrail with A/T's and a Crusier towing a camper trailer.

Cheers

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 17:07

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 17:07
The last Desert Parks Bulletin mailed to me on 16 March advises all roads open in Innamincka Reg. Reserve - open is open - but, there is no substitute for local knowledge in such places - a call to the N Park's office up there could be worthwhile (though....from experience in the past.... er... well.....) - my pick would be the Trading Post !
AnswerID: 356128

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 18:42

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 18:42
The roads can change on a daily basis so ring the ranger or the pub they will have the most up to date information. Usually that track can be quite sandy but OK for high clearance vehicles. An X-Trail with 18 psi in the tyes and lower in the trailer should be fine if that is the track condition when you get there

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 356144

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:12

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:12
The track into Cullyamurra Waterhole is "ordinary" at the best of times.

There are sections with considerable corrugations which you have to basically ignore if you want to limit paranoia.

When I was there last year in July, I was somewhat disappointed in the appearance of the section we had camped at before.
There was an "infestation" of water weed along the edge of the water which wasn't there on our previous visit.

We drove along Fifteen Mile Tack on the other side of Innamincka and was impressed with several camping spots at places like "Ski Beach", "Policeman's Point" and a couple of other spots whose names allude me at present.

Cullyamurra however is still a good spot, especially if you have a tinnie, providing you can find the "boat ramp" amongst the water weed.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356147

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:08

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 20:08
Sure the track can be little rough, but you'll have no problems getting through. Its suitable for 2wds. Despite all the rumours on this forum, Cooper Creek will not be flooding at Innamincka but it is flowing over the causeway.
AnswerID: 356162

Sponsored Links