Old Strzelecki Track

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:28
ThreadID: 67193 Views:2612 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Heading up the Strzelecki Track in May.

I can see on an old map and on Google Earth that there is a track that that leaves the Strzelecki just before the Strzelecki Crossing (almost opposite the Yaningurie Waterhole) and heads north-easterly until it reaches the track between Merty Merty and Bollards Lagoon. I think it goes for about a total length of 26 kms.

I thought we might use this track for a bit of fun on the way to the Old Strzelecki Track.

Does anyone know if this track is ok to use?
It's not on the Desert Parks maps so may not be a public road?

Appreciate your advice.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:56

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 19:56
That track was bulldozed through in the mid 1980's and was a shortcut to Cameron's Corner from the southern end of the Strezlecki Track, bypassing Merti Merti. It was actively promoted by SA tourism at the time.

But nobody maintained it. We travelled most of its length in about 1991 and there were a lot of washed out sections and some largish dunes with sharp lips at the north east end.

Not worth the effort in my opinion.
AnswerID: 356158

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 21:11

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 21:11
No, that road is overgrown and has access has been closed by Merty Merty Station.

There was some research done by Mikee5 on this last year and posted on this forum. Do an archive search and you might find the thread.

AnswerID: 356189

Follow Up By: HDHunter - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 22:46

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 22:46
Thanks Willem

I found Mikee5's thread of 02Sep08 and as you recall, the track has not been maintained for a long time and Merty Merty station don't want anyone using it by the sound of it.
Oh well.
Thanks for the advice guys.
HDHunter

FollowupID: 624221

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 22:53

Wednesday, Mar 25, 2009 at 22:53
Gday Willem,
Below is a digital photo of the 1991 Westprint map that had the track in question (marked with 24k on it). The 1989 Westprint map didn't have it. I think they closed the one following the creek back to the homestead as well.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 624222

Reply By: Mikee5 (Logan QLD) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40
Hi HD,

Willem beat me to it. I made the enquiries and Merty Merty told me the track was not open. However, on our run down the Strzelecki we did turn north onto this track (marked with 43km on Phil’s photo above). The first couple of Kays is open and used by road works, there is a big cutting with water in it off to the west of the creek bed and we camped near there. The track looks like it continued but we didn’t go any further. I also looked on Google Earth and it seems to go through but I don’t reckon the guys at Merty Merty would be happy if you came through their back yard.
AnswerID: 356295

Sponsored Links