Mission Impossible???????

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:27
ThreadID: 67223 Views:3063 Replies:18 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
Ok tell me if im MAD.

Heading from Broome to Tassie and return in June, taking a month off work as thats all thats possible. Going to see folks in Tassie and hope to spend about 10 days with them.

On way over i plan to head from Broome to Perth, then across the Nullabor to Melbourne where we will jump on the ferry and head over. I plan around 10 days for this.

Then on way back will head up to Brisbane and then to Longreach and back across through Mt Isa, Daly Waters, Katherine Kununurra and then Broome. Plan about 10 days for this also.

See all i want this trip to be is a scout trip, to try and see a bit of australia while im young and so i can plan a better trip in a couple of years. I know its pretty rushed but it cant be helped. I have to drive over there and dont wanna come back the same way i went, nor do i wanna come back up the middle.

I would like to spend a day in some places and plan to travel around 700-1000kms a day when travelling. I really wish i could take months to this trip too, but its not possible. Im 25 and i just wanna get a quick taste for the country, as i've havent further then Albany in the South and never been past Katherine in the NT. I dont wanna see anything in WA as i can do that another time and have seen heaps of WA already. Dont wanna see anything in the Nt either at this stage.

I know its going to be a very quick and expensive holiday but its what i wanna do and how i wanna do it. Would rather do this then go overseas, plus it will give me a much better idea of how to plan a bigger and better trip. Plus i get to see my folks and my grandfather who i aint seen in a long time.

Many people say that you wont see anything, but ask any truckie what they love about there job and its, ''Get to see some amazing country''. So i would rather give it a shot now and see if its my cup of tea, rather then waiting till im retired to find out that its too late.

I am fine i have holidays for at least 6 weeks, just the missus can only take 4 weeks. But we have already started planning another trip over for Xmas so that could be the big one, quit the jobs and just travel, picking up work when we need to. I reckon i could handle that. Soon see i guess.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: gamesweplay - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:33

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:33
You'll have one hell of an arse groove in ya seat after that trip!

good luck with the planning :)
AnswerID: 356333

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:39

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:39
OK you are mad... (: lol.

Hello Kimberly Born & Bred,
I reckon good luck to you; yes it is a lot of k's, but providing you schedule in some rest days you will be fine. A lot of people can't handle driving up the centre, but I love it. The country is constantly changing; sometimes very subtly.

So where ever you go, you will see some great things; enjoy it. Stop to view the scenery etc and have fun.
All the best.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356335

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:35

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:35
When you say alot of people cant handle drivng up the centre, what are there reasons for it? Heaps of people say they cant stand the Nullabor too, but my folks loved it. Its got me very curious.
FollowupID: 624379

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:19

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:19
Complaints I have heard:
It's boring!
It's too far!
There's nothing there!
Too hot!
Too cold!
There's nothing to see!
There's nothing to do!

Too me, none of those are valid. I always find or see something different every time.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624424

Reply By: Moose - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:40

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:40
G'day Kroozer
Mate - that's a lot of kms each day. Are you planning on sharing the driving? If so then probably OK. If not, then to answer your question "Ok tell me if im MAD" I'll vote YES :-)
Cheers from The Moose
AnswerID: 356336

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:42

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:42
Gidday!!

We have been travelling now for 4 mths and at first it was a little hard as there is SO MUCH to see in this big country!!!! Matt and I have discussed it and we have decided that you could do this for 10yrs and still not see it all!!!

Just see what you want to see, if thats all the time you have then so be it. I am just concerned about the amount of k's you want to cover in a day (its the mother coming out in me......)

Drive safe and don't drive tired.

You don't have to wait till you are retired to do the trip - I am only 39 Matt is 37yrs we are doing it with the kids and to be honest we were going to wait till we retired, then decided to hell with it lets just do it and we are SO glad we did, we have met many grey nomads that wished they had done this when they were younger - as some get stuck in certain places due to medical issues and are awaiting tests ect - I feel for them cause they have worked their butts off most their lives. Food for thought.

Oh I remember 25......................................

Cheers
Caroline
AnswerID: 356338

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:47

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 14:47
Hi Kroozer, just a bit left field here, I haven't done the distances or anything, just a thought. From Broome would it be quicker/ closer down the Great Northern Highway accross to Leanora, Kalgoorlie, Norseman and Nullabor, somewhere through there I think it should be all bitumen these days. It's been quite some time since we were out that area.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 356340

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:32

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:32
Yeah thats definitely an option mate.
Cheers
FollowupID: 624378

Reply By: Member - Footloose - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:01

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:01
Too easy.
20 years ago we took the kids around the block in 4 weeks doing exactly the same kind of trip. Lots we didn't see, but we were able to come back later and check out what we liked.
It was a very rushed trip, but we did it when we were still young and able to. Five years later on we did the tip at a more leisurely pace, but the places had changed so much. Backpackers everywhere, tar all around etc. And it was far more expensive.

As I said to my kids; "we're going to see Australia before they put a 6 lane highway across the Simpson Desert".

Well it's not quite a 6 lane highway....yet LOL
AnswerID: 356345

Reply By: Kanga1 - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:20

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 15:20
Hi Kroozer, if you don't need to go to Perth, you could save time and kms taking the Tanami road to Alice then head south from there, sometimes quickest way between 2 points straightish line! A mate of mine used to own the roadhouse at Paynes Find, every couple of months he'd be taking sars to Perth where people had fallen asleep driving sometimes they lived to buy another car, sometimes not. Happy trails, Kanga1.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 356347

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:43

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:43
Yeah i would love to do the Tanami but other half wont. Yeah falling asleep at the wheel not a problem, cover heaps of k's all the time. Have to travel 1100km's in a day fairly often myself in a 75 series Trayback, and this trip will be done in a Prado so the level of comfort and ease is a thousand times better. Plus will have company on this trip. But thanks for the advice, always good to keep yourself focused. Im honestly always on peoples case when there driving on the open road. Some people dont realise its not always driver error that causes an incident. But driver response can almost always minimise the result. Best to stay alert and cautious of hazards and possible risks.
FollowupID: 624384

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:07

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:07
G'day Kroozer,

Not trying to be smart but have you worked out the actual kilometeres? We did a trip via Darwin to the Kimberley and it was a tad under 15,000K and my gut tells me that your trip could be this or more. I do a regular to Sydney from Brisbane which is 1010 K one way and takes 12.5 hours and it is a big day.

Anyway best of luck whatever you choose.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 356352

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:47

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:47
How come it takes that long from Sydney to Brisbane? i do 1100kms in around 9 hours up here. Is it the traffic and stuff ? Its funny cause the family think the trip from Albany to Perth is a huge trip, only 400kms. Up here we drive 170kms one way to go fishing for the day. 350 km round trip.
FollowupID: 624385

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:17

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:17
Kroozer..thats an average of 122k/hr without any stops or slowing down for towns, traffic etc.....if you really do do it in that time and assuming you do stop for breaks etc....your an idiot and should have your licence suspended...:))))
FollowupID: 624552

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:39

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:39
Dual tanks and fridge in front with me, why would i stop for breaks. I probably stop a maximum of 2 times for a stretch and check over the car. And i said around 9 hours, sitting between 115 and 120km/h. When it has to be done in a day your not going to stick to 110km/h, take too bloody long. When i have time i usually sit on around 90km/h for a while and stop often. Then i usually do around 110km/h for remainder of trip to get home before dark. Makes for a long day but very comfortable day. Believe me when the only towns you are travelling through happen to be Fitzroy Crossing, Halls Creek and Warmun you wouldnt be going slow either. honestly now that the grog has been stopped in Fitzroy, the amount of cars and people broken down on the road to Broome and Halls Creek is pathetic. Doing grog runs in pieces of bleep with a full car with babies and kids with now water or food and most of the time without even checking the fuel gauge. Every trip i have been flagged down and had to help. One trip i was flagged down 4 times, 3 was no fuel and other was flat battery. All with no water or food. Now i dont stop, cruel but i am sick of it. Delayed me by 2 hours that trip, which meant i had to travel 2 hours at night.
FollowupID: 624612

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:18

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 08:18
G'day Kroozer,

A few decades ago we did the trip in 10.5 hours which was hiking but we were young then (didn't lose my licence either - thanks MN1). Life seemed less complicated back then but now we stick to the speed limit and have regular 5 minute breaks which has added a couple of hours to the trip. The road has not changed a lot in all that time but the way speeds are enforced makes it just too risky. We probably only stop 4 or 5 times and I can relate to the no stopping part as we drove without stopping on a couple of occassions - thermos in the car, loud music and snacks.

Hope you have a good trip.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 625067

Reply By: austastar - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:18

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 16:18
Waaayy too rushed for me.
Would suggest at least checking the $ options offered by fly drive, even if your change over point is Adelaide.
Compare $ cost and time saved vs $ fuel, $ wear 'n tear, and days of non-stop driving.
It's your call, drive safe - remember, shiny side up, rubber bits down.
cheers
AnswerID: 356356

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:30

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:30
Yeah cheers all, kilometres and hours behind wheel not a problem. Will be sharing a little of the driving, but i regularly drive 1100klms in a day myself so there is no problem there. Very lonely but i enjoy it. I think it works out to be around 13000 kms, but can be cut down a little if we take a few shortcuts. Would fly if i wanted to see Australia from 30,000 feet, but what what am i going to accomplish then. Money aint a drama, paying for the experience really, only going to bleep it up against the wall. Like i said its a scout trip, i have a few places i want to see, dont wanna see everything but just a few places here and there that i like the sound of. NT and WA will be travelled straight through only stopping to sleep.

I do agree with everyone though that it will be big days and long hours behind wheel with rarely any time for enjoying it. I dont wanna cut the visit to Tasmania any shorter though and the better half doesnt wanna travel the Tanami, so maybe straight down the guts might be better and come back via Queensland. That sounds better, will try my hardest to get her to take at least another week off too. Though i have tried hard enough already. Its just that i wanted to save the trip down the guts for another time when we could visit the Rock and enjoy it. Thanks for all the advice though it helps heaps.

Keep it coming
Cheers
AnswerID: 356366

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:51

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:51
Hi Kroozer.
I do a trip from Sydney to Perth and return every couple of years. Usually do 10K-12K total in either 3 weeks or 4 weeks. The extra kms come from a few side trips.
To achieve that we tend to have a couple of big travel days where we might go 800-1000Kms, followed by a day or two around a location we want to see. If we have a really big day we'll stop at a motel to take the pressure off arriving early.
Over the years I have cut down the days I spend with mum - there is too much to see! :-)
Cheers

Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356374

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:55

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:55
You would be better to fly and then hire a campervan or something. that way you would get to see more than the white line. That is what I did during my working life as I could only get 2 weeks at a time Maximum. Now retired and will use the next 20 years filling in the gaps.
everyone to their own thing though. No one can tell you what is best for you.
Neil
AnswerID: 356377

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:10

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 18:10
I have just entered the travel route and it is 130000 Klms
FollowupID: 624395

Follow Up By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:00

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:00
130,000kms! He's not going via the moon!
FollowupID: 624418

Follow Up By: Member No 1- Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:19

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:19
at the speed he travels he'll have the time
FollowupID: 624553

Follow Up By: Neil & Pauline - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:29
Whoops, one too many zero's.
FollowupID: 624589

Reply By: Member - AJB (VIC) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:56

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 17:56
You are not mad. It can be done. I'd head down the Tanami and into SA from there. I've done Gippsalnd to Broome in 4 days solo so its pretty easy (would have been 3.5 but the Sturt was 5ft so a detour out through Mulan was required). Big days in the saddle but some of us love that. Being WA born and bred you will handle the distances easy its just when you get to the East Coast you have to slow down for all the towns all the time. Also the roads are far worse and more congested than WA roads.
I wouldn't head to Brisbane, unless you wanna hit the surf on the way home, just go straight to Matilda Way and Longreach.
If you love the driving and the missus doesn't, send her on a plane and meet her there. Anyway have a great trip.
AnswerID: 356378

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:13

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 19:13
Cheers AJB. Yeah might bypass Brissie i think, good thinking. Longreach is a definite but, have to go see The Stockmans Hall of Fame. Love the old stocman and what they did for this country. True blue legends.

And as for the follow up above, i will be going via the moon if i can pull this trip off mate. I'll be over the moon. Cant wait to givbe it a go
FollowupID: 624420

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:31

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:31
I agree

Send her on the plane and enjoy the drive.
FollowupID: 624519

Reply By: chisel - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:09

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:09
If it is just you or just a couple of you, I suspect it would be cheaper to fly and obviously a lot quicker. Every day of 1000kms would be 100L+ of fuel (say $110-150) ... multiplied by 20-odd days of driving...

You don't see anything on the way when flying ... but if you're doing 1000km/day you won't see anything either.
AnswerID: 356474

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:35

Thursday, Mar 26, 2009 at 23:35
Yeah, read what Chisel said..again..

If money is no object then go for it but when you way up your time, petrol, accommodation etc...what's really the point of driving when flying would be a far more relaxing and cost effective way to go. Not that driving isn't relaxing, I love it but, you know what I mean.

Have you also taken into account how any breakdowns might effect you also? time time time.... just a thought....

Your planning a trip on the knifes edge and if everything falls into place well and good. Any hick-up could just mean driving in a hurry to get home by a dead line.

Either way...good luck and have a good trip. We're off to Tassie ourselves next year.
AnswerID: 356479

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:46

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 01:46
Like your motto says mate, Just Do It. Live life on the edge, be spontaneous. But great advice, cheers. Breakdowns really will be a big factor.
FollowupID: 624535

Reply By: HGMonaro - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:56

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:56
We really enjoyed the Nullarbor, nothing to see but changing all the time! Minimal to stop at so matches a drive and drive some more trip anyway.

According to google...

Broome to Melbourne v(rough... I didn't put the markers in the main street!)
via Katherine 4529kms
via Norseman 4900kms
via Longreach 5016kms

not at lot in it!

However, you won't avg 122kph, more like 80-90 so work out your days based on that.

Cheers, Nige
AnswerID: 356527

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:39

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 14:39
Truckies regularly drive from Innisfail to perth in 5 days, one driver, legally, the trip from Broome to Melb and return is about the same distance and you are giving yourself twice that time, so it won't be a problem.
The travelling bit you are doing on the mainland isn't the 'holiday' it's just a recon trip, and even though you will be driving most of the time you can still plan on a few hrs every day to stop and sightsee, and take it from an ex interstate driver, you will still see more of Australia from the road than from 30,000 ft up.

Go for it.

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 356586

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:54

Friday, Mar 27, 2009 at 20:54
as the last 2 replies say its quite doable (even at legal speeds )
5000km at 80 kph average over 10 days is only 6 1/2 hours every 24 behind the wheel that allows a fair bit of time for sleep say 8 hours per day and that leaves another 9 1/2 hours a day to look at and see things.
we did Canberra to broome in 10 days via ayres rock( including the climb) and the gunbarrel . we spent nearly 24 hours at carniegie doing repairs on one of the vehicles. i think longest run was 1000km on the tar day 1 to mildura.
put in the hard yards on the black top and you will have lots of time to see things as you go.
make the most of your time and spend as little of it as possible "camped"
people who say you cannot cover large distances in short periods are those who are still packing up at 10 am and want to be set up for the night at 2pm
this puts the cybosh on covering any distance.
enjoy uour trip hope it goes well
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 356655

Sponsored Links