Tibooburra to Innamincka

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:25
ThreadID: 67281 Views:2200 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
So, house is sold and settlement took place yesterday........
Booked on the Spirit today for our three month "wind down" (or wind up..$1250 return) trip.
Heading up to Mungo NP, Kinchega NP and then up to Tibooburra.Want to take in Sturt NP and Camerons corner but from here to Innamincka is undecided.
We want to travel the most scenic route, not worried about roughness(you have to rough it to see the best spots)...so
Which way is the most scenic from Camerons corner to Innamincka?
Also we want to head into Coongie Lake while in the area for a few days and I noticed on the map it said no generators past Kudriemitchie Outstation.We carry a genny but seldom use it and wouldnt use it in there but will we get "done" just for having one on board.Couple of weekends ago while camping in NP down here, bloke next to us got done for having a chainsaw in the back of his ute, never used it or even got it out but got fined for having it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:54

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:54
Nick. Drive the Bore track from camerons corner to innamincka.. its a a little different, huge clay pans and smaller sand dunes. And i dont think the Np's search vehicles or have the authority, just dont display or use the generator where you are asked not to use it.. you will be ok.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356746

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:55

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:55
Nick

I’d recommend the Bore track from Bollards Lagoon to Innamincka if there is’nt too much water around.

The advice provided by your map is indeed true. Don't attempt to use a generator past the Out Station.

There use to be a couple of shirla rangers up there who made our life a misery, not because we used a generator, but the fact we had one.

Have a good trip.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 356747

Reply By: blue one - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:56

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:56
Nick,
Coongie is ok though Cullymurra waterhole is better and there is a lot more to explore with out the place being National Parked too much.

The rangers around Innaminka were laid back, though very professional when they need to be. They do have a certain amount of common sense which is unique.

Cheers
AnswerID: 356748

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:59

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 19:59
Oh and thanks for the tip on King William NP.

Fantastic
FollowupID: 624840

Follow Up By: blue one - Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 20:02

Saturday, Mar 28, 2009 at 20:02
Mt William NP !!!!!
FollowupID: 624841

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:18

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:18
If you decide on the Bore Track, here are some trek notes I put together a couple of years ago. They are the files under "attachments" at the bottom of the page.

Bore Track Notes

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 356824

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:03

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:03
Nick

The Bore Track is an easy run but not that all exciting. If you drive up the Old Strzelecki Track you will see the oil and gas fields at work.

I think the No Generators and No Chainsaw Rules may not enforceable by Law. It depends on the circumstances. It may be a bluff thing and certainly worth seeing it through in court. But I carry neither so it doesn't worry me. If you have your gennie stowed away where it cannot be seen you should be OK. Parks Rangers do not have Search Powers, methinks. Anyway if a Ranger asked to search my vehicle I would tell him/her where to go.

Cheers

AnswerID: 356840

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:24

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 12:24
Hi Willem.
NSW Parks & Wildlife are formulating new regulations for 2009 to replace the 2002 regulations.
The proposed new regulations can be found on the NSW gov website & make very interesting reading.(Heaven help us if these regulations are adopted).
www.environment.nsw.gov.au/legislation/DraftNationalParksandWildlifeRegulation:htm
Cheers,
Vince

FollowupID: 624932

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:24

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:24
Yeah Vince...I see what you mean.

Luckily I have a dog with me so NP's are off limits.

Cheers
FollowupID: 624940

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:09

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 15:09
Thanks all for the replies.Will wait and see how the water levels are up there and decide then.
AnswerID: 356868

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:21

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:21
Nick, there are some nice places to see around Innamincka.

Go out to the Dig Tree then take an anticlockwise loop back to Innamincka. You will pass through a beautiful valley. Here are some pictures:

Image Could Not Be Found

Image Could Not Be Found

If you go past the Moomba gas field, as suggested, there's a good view from a public lookout. Nice place to stop for a cuppa.

Image Could Not Be Found

The Bore Track is a great alternative too. If dry it's an easy run. There are a couple of large claypans to go through. They would not be much fun if they were wet.

Image Could Not Be Found

Have a good trip.
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356879

Sponsored Links