Perth to Norseman via Hyden with a van

Submitted: Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:12
ThreadID: 67296 Views:9557 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
We are looking at travelling this way pulling a 21' caravan next week.

Has anyone travelled this recently and if so how long did it take. Is the road okay for a van? Would it take as long or longer, as via Coolgardie?

We would like to take this way as we haven't done it before and have done the Coolgardie route about 8 times in the past couple of years. However we don't want to go this way if it's a couple of days long as we have a time limit to be in Sydney.

Would appreciate any advise on this route.

Cheers

Dian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:28

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:28
It's not a couple of days Dian, but it is certainly longer. If time is the issue why not do it on the way back?

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 356853

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:42

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:42
Thanks - how much longer do you think? Looking at Google Maps its 632ks from Forrestdale as opposed to 754ks via Coolgardie from our place.

What time do you think it would take? Generally we get to Southern Cross the first day and then somewhere near Balladonia the second.

I am so over the Nullabore crossing that I'd like something new - the worst bit is from Southern Cross to Norseman so thought this would be better.

We can't do it on the way back as we intend heading north to Cape York then over the "Top".

Cheers

Dian
FollowupID: 624944

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:50

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 13:50
I think your speed would be at least half your highway speed. I think it's about 270kays. Every time we do it I end up thinking "are we there yet?" because of the lower speeds. I've also avoided it and made better time.

If you are free camping there is a beaut place on the left of the highway (north side) about 80 ks past Norseman. Plenty of room to spread out. Drop toilets near the road but go in past them and there are some quiet areas.

Balladonia is the most expensive for fuel.

Another good campsite, again go further in than everyone else for the good spots, is Jilal Rockhole, 13ks west of Mundrabilla.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624946

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:09

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 14:09
Thanks - How far past Hyden does the bitumen run? Google says 253ks on the Hyden/Norseman Rd.

Do you think if we left home at 9am we'd be able to camp overnight at the Breakaways? Around 4pm ish?

Never heard of Jilal Rockhole - is the turnoff on the coast side or inland side? How far in do you go?

FollowupID: 624949

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:32
Dian, nick into your nearest Dymocks, Angus & Robertson, newsagent etc and pick up a copy of the new Camps 5 book. Invaluable. The EO shop sells it but as your are leaving tomorrow that's not an option.

I think there's only about 40ks of bitumen past Hyden.

Both of those roadside camps I mentioned, you only need to go in about 150 metres to be well clear of other people. They all seem to camp as close to the road as possible.

As an indication, last time across we left Mandurah at 6am and got to camp east of Norseman after dark. And we weren't towing.

So, yes you would probably get to the Breakaways OK but I would leave a little earlier if possible.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624962

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:24

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:24
Thanks for all your advice - it's really appreciated.

We've got the Book 4 so will look them up.

I can't see us leaving before Wednesday now as we still have finished the boat modifications - hey but the car is nearly ready!!

Cheers

Dian
FollowupID: 624970

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:22

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 16:22
Hi Dian

So long as there has not been recent heavy rain, i think it is easily doable.

We have found the Norseman Hyden road a good wide well maintained road. You need to be alert for the Mining Co road trains. I read a report on another forum of someone who went through in January and found it bad - all good reports since then though. Breakaways is a wonderful spot to camp.

Just checking my diary - we came home that way with the caravan in February 2005 to go somewhere different (the Norseman Lake King road is our normal short cut). We had bush camped around 140 kms east of Norseman and left normal time. We at first started out on the wrong road from Norseman - our map showed the old Norseman Hyden Road not the new one, and we soon got to signage that we were on an unmaintained road so backed out and returned to Norseman to find the right road. Stopping at lots of the signed features and doing walks (rocks etc) we turned south on the Forrestania Marvel Lock Road, and toured through rural back roads around Newdegate to Lake Grace. Kept going until we got to our farm at Dinninup in the south west that evening.

All being well, you should make it to the Breakaways to camp, which are only 50 kms from the Forrestania Road junction. I'm not sure how far the bitumen goes between Hyden and this junction - it may be all the way. After the Breakaways, you've only got about 250 kms to Norseman. Easy.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 356880

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:21

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:21
THANKS I think we'll probably give it a go.

I imagine the road will be sig posted well enough now. Are the mines nearer to Norseman?

Di
FollowupID: 624969

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 17:32
Hi Di

The road is well signed. I don't know how much mining is going on now since the down turn. Mines all through the region, but you don't meet lots of trucks - just the few that you do know that they own the road, but it is a wide road. The odd mining co Cruiser can zip around you out of nowhere too.

Perhaps check with Main Roads on their 1800 number (sorry, i have lost the card) the day before you leave for an update on conditions.

As said previously, always reports have given it as in good condition except the one i read in January. It may have had rain damage, or it may have been that person's perception due to their experience (or lack of) on dirt roads.

Letting tyres down a bit if corrugated will help - we didn't need to.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 624972

Reply By: obee1212 - Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:35

Sunday, Mar 29, 2009 at 20:35
It's one of my favourite roads. There are mines working out that way and they keep the road in good nik. Mudh better than sharing the tarmac with all the heavy trucks/traffic.

There is a nice place to stop by the dry (mostly) lake where it is wooded and, you know, out there. The caravan park at Hyden is good with a better than average ablutions and you can check out the Wave Rock without paying the national park fee if you stay.

Do it man

Owen
AnswerID: 356923

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:51

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:51
Thanks for all the info - much appreciated.

Dian
FollowupID: 625080

Reply By: Wayne's 60 - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:51

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:51
Hi Dian,
We haven't been on that road for awhile, though I hope this info helps.
Yes, there are mining sites along the road and the road is in very good condition near their sites, unless the road has been graded recently there is a nicely corrugated road to travel. I agree that if you are on a time line to Sydney, then use this route for your return trip ... and as a wind down. A very nice camping location is the Breakaways, we were informed about this location on EO and it is very nice.

While the blacktop run may be boring, depending on the current condition of the road ... the Hyden Norseman road may take far longer to travel a similar distance.

Cheers,
Wayne & Sally.

AnswerID: 356973

Follow Up By: Custom Boat Loaders- Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:52

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 09:52
Thanks for all the advice and info - much appreciated.

Dian
FollowupID: 625081

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:00

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:00
Hi
I did this road just after Boxing Day 2008 and found it to be a good road there was one section that was corrugated, just adjust speed to suit. We passed a Falcon sedan on this section and it was bouncing abit more than we were. Travel time we left Kelmscott (Perth) at 8.00am and arrived in Norseman early afternoon (~2pm)the same day, and made bush camp just west of Balladonia .
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 357018

Sponsored Links