Extractors and Unichip on a Pajero

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 22, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 673 Views:4165 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone fitted extractors and/or a unichip to a Pajero. I have an NK 3.5 DOHC auto and would be interested in any comments and facts on fitting extractors and a unichip. If anyone has fitted one to a 3 litre or 3.5 SOHC I would also like to hear from you please.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2002 at 01:00
Greg,

I asked the same question some time ago (I also run a DOHC 3.5 GLS) and the responses I received were enough to dissuade me from pursuing this path.

Apparently the unichip does make our engines run a little smoother and raises the peak power by (on one dyno example) 10kw, but the cost for this is around $1200.

My main reason for looking at this option was to allow me to run ordinary unleaded petrol instead of the premium that the truck normally insists upon. Unfortunately, the Unichip on its own can't help with this "problem".

As this Pajero engine is pretty powerful already (for a 4WD!) I didn't think that it was worth the expense.

Joe
AnswerID: 1822

Follow Up By: Greg - Thursday, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Joe. I assume the 10kw was a rear wheel figure. I have done a search of the forum database but cannot find your question. I follow the forum but don't remember seeing it. Do you have any further info? What is your opinion on extractors with a free flow exhaust. As far as the vehicle's power goes I changed from a 3 litre manual to 3.5 auto and find the difference a lot less than expected. The auto and the auto gearing being a lot higher than the manual seems to reduce the on road power considerably.
FollowupID: 621

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:00

Greg,

Hmmm - if it wasn't on this forum then it would have been on either the Overlander forum (http://forums.overlander.com.au ) or the Pajero club forum ( http://www.pajeroclub.com.au/disc2001 ).

Try searching both of those and you will come up with the goods.

BTW - the 10kw would have been rear wheel measured as the only dynos available are rolling road systems.
AnswerID: 1828

Reply By: Joe - Thursday, Jan 24, 2002 at 01:00

Greg - forgot to mention the extractors and free flow exhaust.

I am told that these work very well on all Pajeros and on our engines in particular. The supposed experts are North Shore Mits in Sydney.

Cheers

Joe
AnswerID: 1829

Sponsored Links