Day trip close to melbourne.

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 17:17
ThreadID: 6734 Views:1809 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone point in the direction of some good fourwheel driveday trips close to melbourne? Not looking for anything too remote or extreme. Just wanting to make sure low four works and maybe make use of some recovery gear.
cheers,
Justin
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: LkPatrol - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:23

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:23
Justin,

My first few daytrips close to Melb were at Bunyip State Park, near Gembrook. I still enjoy trips there, as there are always different tracks to explore, from easy - like the tracks that follow the powerlines, or Reids Track - to more adventurous - eg Lawless track etc.
Bear in mind that a lot of tracks all over Victoria, are still closed for the winter - not reopening until October.
Other areas not too far away include Yarra Ranges, Toolangi, Black Range etc.
Let me know if you're after any more details -

Cheers, Les
AnswerID: 28631

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:35

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:35
gday justin.
every few weeks or so a few of us from the site go and do day/weekend trips.
keep an eye out on the posts i think theres a day trip coming up soon.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 28635

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:57

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 19:57
Where in Melbourne do you live that helps..

Theres a book you can get DAY TRIPS OUT OF MELBOURNE>

Gembrook, Toolangi, Walhalla, Woods Point etc, all have good basic 4wding.
AnswerID: 28638

Follow Up By: Browny - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:22

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:22
I also recomend this book, it has some great easy to follow trips of varying difficulty. I bought my edition from a map shop, but I'm pretty sure I've also seen it in newsagents.

Browny
FollowupID: 19912

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:25

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:25
you can also buy the book through this site—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 19925

Reply By: Member - Russell - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:07

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:07
Tallarook is quite good, as is the Pyrenees at Avoca. I'm taking a group to Avoca again this weekend (Saturday) - weather appears to be holding off but we'll go anyway and adjust if the tracks are slippery. Doesn't sound like you've been out much. What sort of 4wd do you have, and have you got company? Which side of town are you on? I'm sure I could scare (read challenge) you without hurting you or the truck..... Let me know.Russell S
Prado RV6
AnswerID: 28640

Follow Up By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:24

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 22:24
gday russell.
how did you go last sat at avoca.
i couldnt make it kids had to go to melb—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
FollowupID: 19924

Follow Up By: Justin - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:04

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:04
Yep, definately a newbie, i'm 21 and I have a 60 series landcruiser that is as close to stock as i've ever seen. I picked it up as more of a tow vehicle for an offroad buggy. I'm in burwood. I was planning on heading off with a mate who has a hilux A trip out that way sounds like fun. only problem is I'm tied up for part of this weekend and possibly the next. The missus will be keen for it and I was thinking of heading out with a mate in a hilux but i'm starting to think it's not the greatest plan (see russel coight!). Let me know next time you're going. My email address is jwakeling@eqt.com.au or you can call 0425 72 33 71.
Cheers,
Justin
FollowupID: 19954

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39
Diamond,
We were listening for you, but heard nothing so thought you must have been held up. Had another cracker of a day, and found some much more interesting tracks than that other day I was out with you. Kim (from this site) came with us, and I think had a good day. This weekend we've got a GU, Land Rover County, a HJ60 cruiser, a petrol Jeep Grand Cherokee (with G/Year MT/Rs!), my Prado and maybe an old 45 shorty (if it's fixed in time!) and an older petrol Pajero. Guaranteed to get at least some of them stuck, and a few of them outside their comfort zone!

Justin,
Will take note of your email address and phone number, and keep you in the loop in case you want to join in sometime.Russell S
Prado RV6
FollowupID: 19993

Reply By: Eric ( Melb.) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:56

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:56
Justin would be more than happy to take you on a day trip to Gembrook . Email me on wholesalecars@optusnet.com.au . we dont really do soft tracks , but we do take the girls out every so often ( no offence intended ) . Most of our wifes ( and I AM talking of my group lol ) dont like thge rough stuff either .

We all start somewhere , so get out there and have fun
AnswerID: 28700

Follow Up By: Member - Glenn(VIC) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:30

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:30
Eric,

Gembrook has some fantastic tracks. Great for day trips (close to Rowville). My email is glennamarshall@iprimus.com.au, please keep my in the loop for any trips up that way. I am on A/L from 12th Sept to 12 Oct, but after that I could certainly join yourself and any others.

Justin,

My mate and I used to get out the back of Warburton a fair bit to play. There are a lot of log tracks, but it is not an area where you can get lost very easily. A few books have tracks up that way, just try some side tracks for fun.Just Do It!

FollowupID: 19957

Sponsored Links