Owen Springs

Submitted: Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:37
ThreadID: 67353 Views:2249 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone camped off the Stuart Highway on the Owen Springs road 66 Km south of Alice springs at Redbank Waterhole ? If so is it suitable for an Off Road Caravan, it looks like it is only 16km off highway, better option than staying in Alice Springs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:57

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 21:57
I wrote this Trek Note for ExplorOz a few years ago

Owen Springs Reserve

AnswerID: 357137

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:16

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:16
Hi Osters

We took the 4wd drive through Owen Springs reserve last year, but did not camp. There was nice camping opportunities along the sandy river bed in the cutting through the hills (Lawrence Gorge) - a very sandy section to drive through in the centre of the reserve. We did not notice the turn off to the Redbank Waterhole. No facilities at any campsite.

If you are looking for a campsite close to Alice Springs but not in town, and don't want top notch amenities, consider Temple Bar CP 8 kms from the Stuart Highway on the south side of Alice.Check it out on Badgers if you are interested.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 357146

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:19

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:19
Camped at Redbank waterfall about 2 years ago, had the place all to ourselves. Its a lovely spot but showed signs of getting a fair bit of use. Not much firewood around. No facilities and only a tiny pool of water where the red tailed black cockies came in for their evening drink. The road in was very corrugated but with normal precautions should be OK to take a van in.

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357149

Follow Up By: Willem - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:24

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 22:24
G'day Val

Redbank at Owen Springs or Redbank in the West Macdonnel Ranges?

Cheers
FollowupID: 625234

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:43

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:43
Ooops - how did that waterfall get in there!!! Meant waterhole of course.
Willem, its a bit confusing having 2 Redbank spots in close proximity but they are separate places.

The camping area is up on the bank, not down in the riverbed, so loose sand is not an issue, at least if coming in from the southern end off the Stuart Hway. Although of course some people just have to get their vehicles down there.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625319

Reply By: Member - Rick P (NT) - Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:36

Monday, Mar 30, 2009 at 23:36
We were there August last year and found camp spots at Owens Springs and Redbank Water hole but they were in the creek beds and I wouldn't recommend you try to drive into any of them with your off road caravan, They were very soft, the track is fine and you could ask the rangers near the old homestead where to camp but that is closer to the Hermannsberg Road.
AnswerID: 357166

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:44

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 00:44
Check out

http://www.nt.gov.au/nreta/parks/find/owensprings.html

You can download the fact sheet and the self drive .pdf files for further information about the reserve.

Rick P has pointed out that Redbank Waterhole is also very sandy. We would not have got through the loose sand of the Lawrence Gorge part of the track is we have been towing.

The Ranger station at the northern end of the reserve specifies for emergency contact only, however you could telephone the Parks and Wildlife office in Alice Springs - the contact details are on the .pdf documents from the link above.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 357177

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:55

Tuesday, Mar 31, 2009 at 09:55
I've camped there three times in recent years for the reasons you mention.

No problems with an offroad caravan. Its only about 8km off the Highway to where the camps start. Nice place. Do it.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 357215

Sponsored Links