Starting oil pressure Jackeroo TD

Submitted: Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 20:29
ThreadID: 6740 Views:6938 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. Am currently having problems with my 2001 Jackeroo 3.0L Turbo diesel (4JX1) engine.

Oil pressure fails to come up after starting without revving the engine repeatedly.
This is only an intermittant problem, happening roughly every second time i start the engine from cold.

I have checked the oil pressure gauge, which seems ok. I know oil is critical in the Jackeroo's, and i am currently running Castrol R 5W-30.

Has anyone had any similar problems? Or does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Sorry if this has been metioned before, but i couldn't find anything in archive that matched exactly.

Thanks,

Sam.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:37

Thursday, Aug 21, 2003 at 21:37
gday sam.
not sure about the jackaroo.
but we bought a new ford festiva and from new it would give a little rattle at start up. ford said it was ok dont worry about it(as they would).
i changed oil i started using magnatec and rattle went away.—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 28653

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 04:05

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 04:05
My 99 Jack TD at 70000 km is still running sweetly (not just "touching wood" though - permanently carrying wood around with me - who wants to repair a high tech diesel? ). I take it your pressure indication is only transient - jumps up once she is warmed up and rolling. Could it be a consequence of your relatively light oil grade. If you are not in particularly cold circumstances, could you try 10W-40 ? I'm on Castrol Magnatec - was on their Dynamax fully synthetic. Keep in mind you have two oil pumps - one probably runs the injector system - the other the engine in general. Maybe the second is playing up - might benefit from the 10W. Let us know how you go.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 28695

Reply By: Steve - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:42

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 07:42
Hi sam
I have a late 2000 SE 3.0 TD and it had a similar problem. I have only had the car for 2 months but it has 116000 km and seems to be going well. The oil pressure would take quite awhile to come up in mine on the cold Sydney mornings. After much reading on this forum I decided to change the oil and both filters even though it had just been serviced (according to the book). Went to Holded and got their 10W-30 oil (and the most expensive oil filters on earth). Seems to have solved my problem though. Hope this helps

Steve
AnswerID: 28698

Reply By: Member - Geoff - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:03

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 10:03
Sam,
Has this condition of you having to rev the engine to get the pressure to come up only occurred with the current oil filter? If it has, go and install a new one.
As most filter have an anti drain back valve yours might be faulty.
Also not being familiar with your truck does it have an indicator light or a gauge?
If it is an idiot light it is possible that the oil pressure sender switch is a bit dicky.
The other possibility is that the pressure relief valve on the engine oil pump is sticking. If the relief valve is accessible undo it and give the valve and its bore a clean make sure there is no debris stuck in the bore. Also check that the valve isnt worn and sticking.
Hope this helps.

Cheers Geoff
AnswerID: 28707

Reply By: Mulga Bill - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 17:23

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 17:23
Forgot to say - Ryco have a Z600 out now for the main filter - their Z79a has been on line for some time as the minor oil filter - I do the big one each 5000 and the minor one each 10000 - I get a trade price through a distributor - big saving compared to street price for Isuzu parts. Strangely the Isuzu fuel filter for the Jack is quite cheap (about $14 - $15)....hard to fathom the logic of rip off merchants.Get me outa these suburbs !
AnswerID: 28764

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 17:40

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 17:40
Bill,
just a thought, have you been using the z79a or the original Isuzu filter, having looked at both together the z79a is not the same filter, of course it fits. From memory this filter is to the injection oil system. which requires good filtration

The Z600 (main engine) though looks just as good as the genuine Isuzu, the local guys buy the OEM filters for me at the correct price, i do carry a Z79a in the spares box in case of a miss hap.

yep OEM fuel filters are reasonably priced, fit a number of Isuzu trucks apparently.

my ex work 2000 model has been excellant! mind you they don't like as others have put on here heavy oil in cold weather. running 10w-40w it's a bit cranky to start on cold mormings. 0w-30w, 0w-40 /5w-40w oils are the way to go. shop around and it's supprising how good a price you can get if for in 20 drums!

If you live in a warm climate then 10w40w should be fine!

FollowupID: 20151

Sponsored Links