Ularu To Chambers Pillar

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 12:40
ThreadID: 67403 Views:2560 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

we will be at Uluru in mid July and will be heading back with a few others across the Simpson from the west.
I would like to get an approx idea of how long it would take to drive from Uluru to Chambers Pillar and what is the best route to take.
We are planning on spending the night there before heading down to Mt Dare to meet up with another of our group.

cheers,

Dobbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:05

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:05
Hi Dobbo
You will be able to make a BIG LOOP of it. From Yulara, back to the Stuart Highway, then head north and take the Hugh River Stock Route track to the East. At the end of this, you follow the signs and head south past Maryvale Station then out to Chambers Pillar. After your enjoyable visit to the Pillar, head north again, then take the old Ghan Line road south to Finke. From there, down to Mount Dare and then out to the Simpson.

Have a great time and enjoy the great outback.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357419

Follow Up By: farmer112 - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:28

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 22:28
Hi,

it's a pleasant drive to Chambers Pillar as Stephen has described it. Just be aware of the fact that there is a steep jump-up at the rear of a ridge, at about two thirds of the drive in from Maryvale Station. Go slowly and take the detour which is located to the right. You really don't want to crash into this jump-up (I nearly managed to do so when going there for the first time). The last few kilometres in are a little bit sandy, one lane track only. UHF channel is sign posted at entry into this area.

Chambers Pillar is expecially magic at sunset and sunrise, it's really worth staying there over night (bush camping; if I remember it right it was less than 5,- AUD per vehicle).

I have not myself gone via the Old Ghan Heritage Trail to Finke, as I was warned that there are still lots of nails on the old railway dam. A guy from Germany who has gone there complained about flat tyres. However, other guys from Oz told me that the nails are quite round at the end and seldom pose a problem.

Maybe some of the guys here in the forum can answer the question about the nails and the danger for the tyres.

If you're not in a hurry, why not do a big loop? You could drive the Ernest Giles Road if you prefer to go through the dirt rather than going over the bitumen (have a look at Henbury meteorite crater reserve), then enter via Hugh River Stock Route (prepare to open and close lots of gates), go down to Maryvale and on to Chambers Pillar, then to Alice Springs via Old South Road. It's always nice to stay in Alice during a trip for fresh supplies and a mighty big steak at the Overlander steakhose. From Alice you could go down the beautiful Old Andado Track via Old Andado Homestead. Very picturesque drive, which would bring you to Mt. Dare.

I did the Simpson in late May last year, all over the French line. Was quite hard for us Gerries, but we met a nice Aussie couple who showed us how to play in the sand properly. In my opinion, a pair of MaxTrax will be a good idea for the Simpson. The sand was really soft on top of the dunes.

Enjoy!

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen

German by Birth, but Aussie by Heart!
FollowupID: 625654

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:30

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:30
Dobbo

It is an easy day run. Just a tad over 400km.

Cheers
AnswerID: 357424

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:50

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 13:50
When you leave Chambers Pillar and return to Maryvale, ask permission at the store and you can take a direct track through the Titjkala village to the old Ghan line without having to head north again. It's a nice sand track and meets the Ghan track just north of Bundooma ruin and saves a bit of time. There are no road signs - just follow your nose :-))

AnswerID: 357425

Reply By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:24

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 16:24
As a matter of interest, here is an illustration of Chamber's Pillar from the frontispiece of my great-grandfather's book published in 1884.

Judging from Stephen's photo it seems to have shrunk a bit with time!

Cheers
Allan

Image Could Not Be Found

Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 357463

Reply By: ozwasp - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:30

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 17:30
Why is it that people will use the Aboriginal name for Ayers Rock, yet do not for others sites such as Chamber's Pillar and The Olgas?
AnswerID: 357485

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:22

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 18:22
Hi ozwasp

Uluru - Kata Tjuta is the name of the NP, which is under is under joint management. These are the names the rocks are now known by. The Chambers Pillar historical reserve is managed by NT parks. Although they make reference to the Aboriginal Dreaming, they do not even have the original name for it on the Parks brochure - it seems it officially is named Chambers Pillar. Can you enlighten us?

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 625607

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:03

Wednesday, Apr 01, 2009 at 20:03
Hi Ozwasp
The official name for Chambers Pillar is "Chambers Pillars"
As of June last year when we were last there here is the official sign as you enter the reserve, put in place by the NT Government.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 625618

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 22:42

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 22:42
Hi ozwasp

You still haven't told us the Aboriginal name for Chambers Pillar.

Motherhen

Waiting
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627316

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 09:33

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 09:33
The aboriginals had no written language - as such i find it amusing the written names of these places have been changed back to there original names ---- which obviosly was never the case
FollowupID: 627343

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 14:08

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 14:08
Hi get outmore

But it has all been passed down by word of mouth. The "Aboriginal University" (forgot what it is called), at Alice Springs has developed it as a written language using our alphabet, but they are not pronounced as they are spelt, which to me seems silly. Eg the local people are Arrernte which they pronounce Arunda. Why didn't they just spell in Arunda?

At least in southern WA most towns have been called a shortened version of the original name, rather than using something like the name of a town in the UK. Aboriginal names are often very long, so the spelling has been simplified. I rather like seeing the Aboriginal names used.

Mh

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627373

Reply By: Mandrake - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:25

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:25
I'm heading that way in Late Aug / Sept - Would that track require me to lower my tyre pressures ? Or is it a normal run through at 30 psi ?

Cheers

Mandrake
AnswerID: 357647

Follow Up By: Mandrake - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:26

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 11:26
One more thing -- Can you get a light weight camper trailer in there OK ?

Cheers

Mandrake
FollowupID: 625746

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:47

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 21:47
So long as it can stand up to the corrugated roads Mandrake. It is not only the road from Maryvale to Chambers Pillar, but the Finke Road all the way from Alice if you go that way. As said before, we met people who had broken a spring on their camper trailer on the Mereenie Loop - not an easy task to get them to Kings Canyon, where they had to wait for some time for a new spring to be sent to them. These roads certainly take their toll.

The day we were at Chambers Pillar, we shared the camping area with two Kimberley Karavans, two camper trailers, and we towed our Bushtracker caravan in.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 627534

Reply By: DOBBO60 - Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:02

Thursday, Apr 02, 2009 at 12:02
Thanks for all the replies guys.
We are heading up to Alice and surrounds as part of the Pradopoint group get together in early July so we'll get to see quite a few of the attractions the Red Centre has to offer during the week and then combine it with the Simpson crossing and Inaminka on the way home .
Judging by some of the replies I should allow about 6 hours to get to Chambers Pillar from Yulara?
AnswerID: 357655

Sponsored Links