Fishing at Robe

Submitted: Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 18:12
ThreadID: 67494 Views:9203 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
A mate & I are going away to Robe the week after Easter with our sons. We plan to do a bit of 4wd'ing, camping and fishing. I've never fished at Robe & we won't have a boat. What is the fishing like and where are the good spots?

Thanks all.

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 19:02

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 19:02
Louie,

Take a drive out to Little Dip Conservation Park and drive down onto the Beach at the first turn off.
There is a small area where the track joins the beach which has a parking area.

Walk down to the waters edge and try your luck for King George Whiting, or other species which may be in the area.

You can get a "mud map" showing 4WD drives along the coast from the Tourist Centre for $1.00.

One big tip, not stressed enough in the documentation.
DO NOT attempt to drive down onto the beach unless you see other vehicles down there. Two particular beach drives have very soft sand and you need to keep to the track up along the base of the dunes.

How do I know???
I tempted fate and became bogged in the very coarse and soft sand at the high water mark:-(

Witnessed a fisherman landing a KG Whiting at the Robe end of the beach after I had been extracted and while paying the "extractor" $250 for the privilege.

I suspect there are several good fishing spots around Robe and I'm sure if you ventured into a local fishing tackle shop, you would get some good local advice.

Bill

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 357915

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 19:09

Friday, Apr 03, 2009 at 19:09
Thanks for that Bill. I learned years ago when at the Coorong my first time not to drive down on the beach there after seeing some joker get his Suzuki stuck. Not sure if the beach down further is similar but he looked worried. Took 2 patrols to extract him.

I think we are camping at Little Dip so will give it a try, and also the tackle shop (why didn't I think of that).

Must remember to take the tempura flour.

Louie
FollowupID: 626010

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:51

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:51
dumb question but do I necessarily need a surf rod? I was going to buy one anyway but not sure if it is really needed.

louie
FollowupID: 626261

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:47

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 17:47
The bloke I saw landing the Whiting was using a standard spinning rod of about 6 foot or so.

The only advantage of a surf rod is when you need to cast way out.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626336

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:21

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 02:21
Gidday Louie,

Basically exactly what you have already been told is the go. The only beach that is bad is the beach Sth of Little Dip Conservation Shacks and Boat Ramp. Mind you this is one of the best fishing beaches. You can drive left of the shacks about 150mtrs over some really rocky track to the headland of the beach an d walk down if you don't have the confidence to drive down onto it and fish there. Mallaway, Salmon, Shark, Flat-head are common all along here.

Anywhere north of the Boat ramp is fine to drive on, very firm and easy stuff if tyres set right.Check out Thread: 66878
and check points mentioned.

Cheers
AnswerID: 358114

Sponsored Links