The Big One

Submitted: Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:53
ThreadID: 6752 Views:1852 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Just like to say what a great site. My husband and I have been reading the forum over the last couple of weeks and have finally been able to logon as a visitor and hopefully become a member very shortly.

Well we have decided to travel through and around Australia. This trip was initially planned to be done in about 4 years. However we have bought it forward due to a number of issues. We have no set time as to when we are to return however we have a seven year old and we thought it best for her to attend high school. So we have a few years up our sleeves. We also have a 3 year old both girls.

We will be leaving after christmas and what my question is at this stage. (There will be plenty more to follow no doubt). Is which direction would be best to head in first taken into account that we will probably be leaving in February when the school holidays have finished.

We have heaps more questions to ask you lot but this one for starters.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wombat (Vic) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 14:38

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 14:38
Welcome Sara,

You neglected to mention where your starting point is. Unless you are staring out from the top end I would initially head towards the southern most parts to escape the wet season and stifling temperatures. Are you planning on seeing Tasmania?"Live today as if there may be no tomorrow"

Wombat
AnswerID: 28742

Reply By: Williewags- Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:39
Hi Sara&Mark,

Having travelled extensively throughout this country my advice to you would be to travel in an anti-clockwise direction. And keep going that way. The reason for this is that in winter in the southern part of Australia the winds are prevailing westerlies. In the south east and up the eastern seaboard the winds are prevailing south east. In the north of the country the winds are easterlies and in the far north(NT) and far northwest(WA) thr winds are Northerlies and Northwesterlies.

If you travel clock wise around Australia then you are most likely to be driving into the wind a lot and believe me, if you are towing a van, it is a real pain, and you will experience excessive fuel consumption.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 28752

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:46

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 15:46
Williewags,We just spent 3 weeks up the Gulf & winds were Sth Easterlies so must have been unussual weather.Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 19995

Follow Up By: Williewags- Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 16:12

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 16:12
Not unusual weather at all BJ. The South Easterlies reach up right in to the NT and the Cape. That is what keeps the weather liveable in the Top End during the winter months.

I was trying to generalise the weather patterns in Australia and from travelling hundreds of thousands of kilometres through this vast country and inevitably having to drive into the wind dragging a 27ft caravan.

If you are picking on me.... you won't succeed.

Cheers,

WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 19997

Follow Up By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:18

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:18
I am not picking on you just stating what we encountered. have i ever picked on anyone i my replys?Regards Bob
Where to next
FollowupID: 20012

Follow Up By: Williewags- Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:52

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:52
That's OK Bob...I accept what you say. Must have interpreted your post incorrectly.

It is not what one says in print but how you write it.

Cheers,

WillieNever a dull moment
FollowupID: 20019

Follow Up By: ToyMotor - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:12

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:12
Williewags writes:

Having travelled extensively throughout this country my advice to you would be to travel in an anti-clockwise direction.

I definitely agree, because it's shorter!

Cheers ;-)
FollowupID: 20171

Follow Up By: Willie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:12

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:12
Hi ToyMotor,
Yes, by about 10km or something trivial like that...or is it 10 metres?
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20237

Reply By: andy - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:37

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 19:37
Mark you are mad travelling with 3 girls. I lived with 3 girls for 2 years and it was hell. You may want to reconsider your travelling partners so as you make it back with all of your marbles. Seriously though, have fun I am sure that it will be a great adventure. I am planning to do the same in a couple of years with my 2 boys (wife as well). Cheers Andy
AnswerID: 28774

Follow Up By: Sara&Mark - Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 22:04

Friday, Aug 22, 2003 at 22:04
Thanks guys by the way we are leaving from Sydney.

And Andy it was Mark's idea not mine.
FollowupID: 20038

Reply By: haze - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:03

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:03
Basically agree with Williwag, however I note you are leaving mid summer when the prevailing is N/E on just about the whole E coast.
If you type weatherzone au on your search engine you will have access to an excellent weather site, satellite info. jet streams, etc. etc.
With so many internet facilities now available in the country (libraries,shire offices etc.) by logging on to weatherzone you have a constant update of weather patterns anywhere in oz.
cheers haze
AnswerID: 28870

Reply By: crowie - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 15:13

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 15:13
I agree on going south west first specially if you intend leaving leaving in February. Even then it's going to be hot which ever way you go. The south will still be cooler than the tropical north or inland. At this time of the years there is also a lot of rain around and the possibility of cyclones in the north east. It will depend on how much time you have. Try to delay going too far north until April/May. Apart from the top end near the coast, inland temperature are cold at night and very nice during the day during our winter months.

Considering the the number and ages of people you are taking you will have to be careful about provisions and particularly water, so cimate is something you will have to consider carefully.

Not knowing how you intend travelling it's difficult to help any further. As you say you will be asking more later, so good luck with your plannning.
AnswerID: 28911

Sponsored Links