Long Range Fuel Tank

I have a 100 series Landcruiser Petrol V8 and thinking about puting in a long range fuel tank, to get a better range when pulling the Van................Whats the best one to get, how much are they fitted, and do they cause any problems (coming loose, braking etc)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:17

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:17
Get a Longranger but remember the more fuel you carry the less you can carry as a load.

By the time you and mum get in at say 160kg plus 145 lites of fuel plus the towball weight of the van you are looking already at over 425kg of the allowable 640kg?????????..

Thats before you put a bigger tank in that weighs more

Something to think about on how to stay legal
AnswerID: 358033

Reply By: Falco80 - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:57

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 17:57
I put a 170L sub tank in my petrol 80 series last year. Got it from K&N 4WD in Perth for around $1200 fitted i think. When it was full you could really notice the extra weight hanging out over the rear axle. Not sure how much the tank weighed empty but it was a massive thing! It gave me good range but it used to hurt the old credit card filling it up from empty...especially the way Perth ULP was priced!
I've got a multivalve TD 80 series now and the fuel economy is awesome, so i'm not really in need to get another LR tank. Nowadays i'd rather keep the weight of the cruiser down as much as possible anyway.

Cheers,
Dan
AnswerID: 358038

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:36

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:36
Hi there Dan, could you please send me an email at stephenkelly@optusnet.com.au need to ask you a question that has nothing to do with this post so dont want to chit chat on exploroz. I cant send you a member message obviously. Just put exploroz in the subject line.....Regards Steve
FollowupID: 626376

Reply By: Member - Jezza (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 20:45

Saturday, Apr 04, 2009 at 20:45
Hello all,

Not wanting to steal this thread, but I was after some opinions on one of the manufacturers/suppliers of long range fuel tanks - 4WD Systems of Adelaide.

I have been doing some searching through the archives and have found good and bad comments about the companies products - however these posts are a little old.

Has anyone had recent experience with 4WD Systems products, particularly the long range tanks and snorkels, and any comments on their after-sales service?

Thanks in advance,
Jezza.
AnswerID: 358068

Reply By: Member - Michael C (WA) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 04:57

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 04:57
Hi Cobber,
I also have a 100 series petrol V8 and have just put in a long Ranger tank which I bought from ARB. I fit the tank myself. It is made well and fit in with no problems. With tank full (180 lt) and the spare wheel in the back. The back dropped 20mm and the front lifted 15mm. This was not too bad. I had a Kaymar carrier fitted and put the spare wheel on and went up to the next heavier spring without going to a 50mm lift. Even with the heavier spring,placing the spare wheel way out there, has caused the back to drop 15mm more. My problem is if I go heavier springs I have to go for a 50mm lift and if I do this when the tank is empty I will hit my garage door. So be aware that chances of keeping your cruiser at standard height with a tank and a wheel carrier are minimal.
So far the Long Ranger tank has been functioning good. It cost me $1192.80 and one day to install. I think their price to install was $380.00.
Good Luck and Enjoy. By the way we will be doing our first long trip 3 months at the end of April, that will be the real test.
AnswerID: 358115

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:34

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:34
After you put all this on how much does it weigh as you have probably added over 175kg out of your allowable load.

Am interested as i was going to do the same but with a towball weight of 305kg i would have to leave the wife at home to stay legal.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626239

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:13

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 09:13
Michael, we have not long owned a 100series V8 petrol, and was wondering what fuel consumption was like with van on ?.

Have been thru hell with it mechanically, may have been a castrol oil thing , not sure yet.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 626243

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:41

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:41
Hi there Michael, have you thought about puting airbags on the rear to help out with the balancing act ?? That way you can increase/decrease the height depending on the weight you are carrying.......WHG
FollowupID: 626378

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:47

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:47
Hi Axle
We have a 2002 V8 LC and on a recent trip to WA consisting of over 20,000 ks we averaged 4.46 kpl. When we left home the van weight was 2620 kilos and the LC came in at 3300kilos.
Cheers
Baz
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626413

Follow Up By: Member - Michael C (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:36

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:36
Hi Graham,
My wife, myself and the mods, extra fuel and the gear we are going to put in the cruiser and a towball weight of 250kg comes in at 700kg. At this point in time this is pretty close, but I will confirm this. As per my calculations this makes us 60kg less than max. weight. I have added extras and do intend to bring this weight down.

Hi Wherehegon,
Yeah, that is probably that next best step, Thnks for your input.

Hi Axle,
We have only done short trips, so we have not been fully loaded.
Our van is a 21ft and we have got 19 lt per 100km. I thought this was pretty good, but have been told to expect more on our big trip coming up as we will have a lot more weight. This trip will give us a clearer indication.
FollowupID: 626764

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:52

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:52
we used to own a sixty series petrol landcruiser and we fitted a longrange fuel tank to it .BIG MISTAKE .It was specificly fitted for our christmas holiday trip to Western Australia accross the plenty highway and down the great central road which is aboriginal land and the dont sell petrol.The tank is very thin ,only 1.5 mm and the front support brackets were not welded properly and the tank cracked along the top of the bracket.We then spent a week in Kalgoolie trying to get it fixed.
these may be alright if you are travelling on the bitumen but as a serious far as rough dirt road or the simpson desert it is not a good sollution.
Since then we have bought a new 2005 turbo deisel troopcarrier with a 180 standard feul capacity.This is the only real touring 4 X 4 left in australia and any thing else is a compromise.
AnswerID: 358137

Follow Up By: Member - Mark E (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:42

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 10:42
I agree with yo to a point, but even the troopy is a compromise.........it has a computerised fuel delivery system. Try getting that fixed in the baclk of beyond.... :-)

All things are a compromise and there is no one perfect touring vehicle. There is always something that could be better... gearboxes, diffs, front suspensions, fuel capacity, simplicity..... I'm stuffed is I know what I'll buy when the 105 dies or needs updating? Maybe have to rebuild an older vehicle to my own specs to get something decent! ;-)

Cheers,

Mark
FollowupID: 626260

Follow Up By: troopy 2005 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:29

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 13:29
very true .the day they build a faultless motor car .But there is a lot out there, as in all the mines .so the chances of getting it repair are usually not to bad in my experience.
FollowupID: 626294

Reply By: troopy 2005 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:58

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 08:58
we used to own a sixty series petrol landcruiser and we fitted a longrange fuel tank to it .BIG MISTAKE .It was specificly fitted for our christmas holiday trip to Western Australia accross the plenty highway and down the great central road which is aboriginal land and they dont sell petrol.The tank is very thin ,only 1.5 mm and the front support brackets were not welded properly and the tank cracked along the top of the bracket.We then spent a week in Kalgoolie trying to get it fixed.
These may be alright if you are travelling on the bitumen but as a far as rough dirt road or the simpson desert it is not a good sollution.
Since then we have bought a new 2005 turbo deisel troopcarrier with a 180 standard feul capacity.This is the only real touring 4 X 4 left in australia and any thing else is a compromise.
AnswerID: 358138

Sponsored Links