2nd spare

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:14
ThreadID: 67555 Views:3353 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi all,

Soon we starting our trip through Australia. We're planning to drive to the Flinders Range, Oodnadatta Track, Great Central Road, Gibb River Road and maybe the Gulf Trek.
We're driving a '96 Toyota Landcruiser Bushcamper (Troopy).

The Question: We didn't have a good possibility to carry a 2nd spare tyre. How needfully is it to have one?

Same Question is about UHF CB-Radio?

Greetings,
Alexander
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:31

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:31
Alexander

As long as you drive according to conditions then a 2nd spare is not critical. If your Troopy is fitted with splir rims then take a couple of spare tubes with you and a puncture repair kit. It is also advisable to get bead breakers and tyres levers and most of all a good air compressor.

UHF radio is essential (CB Radio no longer used here)

Cheers
AnswerID: 358200

Follow Up By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:31

split rims
FollowupID: 626321

Reply By: farouk - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 16:31

Hi Alexander,
Unless you are very lucky on the roads that you are quoting you have a good chance of tyre damage especially if you are using widee's so carrying an extra spare is good insurance unless you are capable of repairing a tyre with a fracure in the bush. If this is the case do not worry about carrying the extra weight of a rim but do carry a extra tyre and a couple of tubes + gaiters, patches glue etc, even if you are not really proficient in doing this there is a good chance somebody will come along and if you have made provision for punctures etc most fellow travellers are only too happy to help you out.
Re the UHF, do fit one, you will find that they could get you help in the outback from other travellers and all station properties have them in their vehicles and if you leave it on scan you will eventually pick up someone talking and you can break in to the conversation and get help.
Have a great trip Colin
AnswerID: 358201

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:44

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 18:44
alexander .
hi . don,y go anywhere in that country without a 2nd spare I had seen it happen on a couple of occasions .
mechpete
AnswerID: 358214

Reply By: obee1212 - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:52

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 20:52
I carry an extra spare tyre sans rim. I have the gear to change a tyre and the tyre can be tied down on the roof if there is no room inside. there is not much weight in a tyre only. I carry spare tubes too. easier to to patch up when I get home.

I met a bloke once who was stuck and I swapped my spare so he could get going. He complained that his flat was better than my spare. I would have shot him but he had a family on board. We did the swap and his tyre was irrepairable when I got to the next stop. But at least his wife and kids got home I suppose.

Owen
AnswerID: 358242

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:19

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:19
Hi Alexander

Murphy's law - take it and you won't need it; don't take it and you will. We did 15,000 kms last year and never changed a tyre - until we got home. Next morning the caravan had a flat (first ever on the caravan) - must have picked up a nail on the track.

Some years ago, we went to Exmouth, Mt Augustus and a few station tracks. Nothing really adventurous. A tyre on the Cruiser blew when we were back on the highway, and we only had one spare. It too went slowly flat. It had a nail in it, although i had it repaired just before we left. We pumped it up a few times to get us to Geraldton. (When we got home we discovered the young man who did the job no longer working at the tyre service - for good reason!) We called to see someone in Geraldton, and told him we'd just purchased a tyre and why. He said recently he was on a station track and three tyres blew within a very short difference (Government work vehicle).

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358256

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:22

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:22
I should have added we heard of people doing three tyres on a number of occasions. At Palm Valley we camped next to a young couple with a camper on the back of a Cruiser and they had done in (needing replacement) three tyres on the Great Central in the vicinity of Warburton.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 626372

Reply By: ian - Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:53

Sunday, Apr 05, 2009 at 22:53
I drove over a small metal stake on the Gibb River rd. 2 tyres gone in a flash.
I had 2 spares and didn't miss a beat.
UHF is not so important on those roads if you are travelling solo. I never need to talk to anyone except those I travel with
Ian
AnswerID: 358261

Sponsored Links