Noise Pollution by Harley Davidsons

Submitted: Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:21
ThreadID: 67581 Views:5193 Replies:17 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Our place is on a hill near a main road. This is a country road 100k limit and we're about 120m from the road.

We get a country rush hour at about 5am and then again at about 6pm. During the night there is very rarely a vehicle.
The thing that wakes me most mornings at 5am is a bloke on a Harley I can hear him from several K's away and then he passes and I hear him for a further 5k's.

There are several caravan parks nearby and I wonder how the people staying there enjoy this, after all they come to a peaceful quiet area for their holiday and are woken by this every morning

His bike is worse than most, but of all the traffic that goes past, cars, trucks, buses, cane haul out rigs, other bikes, Harleys are by far the loudest.

There has been a move to progressively silence trucks and they are much quieter these days.
I've been pulled over for a car that was noisy and given a canary and that was back in the late 70's

What's going on, how do they get away with it?
Are Harleys exempt from noise rules?
Does nobody care?
Can nobody be bothered to enforce the rules. Are there rules for bikes?
Has anyone else noticed the same thing?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:30

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:30
You could be treading on thin Ice there GoneTroppo.

I was sneaking up on a deer the other week, then I heard ticky ticky ticky as a mate in a diesel came up behind me and while still 50m away its noise over rodet hat of my petrol powered Nissan Patrol.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 358284

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:43

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:43
No they're not exempt from the noise regulations. The secret is to run two sets of pipes. If you get a canary on the Screamin' Eagles, you simple swap the shotgun mufflers for the factory stock, get your tick and then once presented, swap back to the shotguns again. I think that with the majority of Harley's being ridden by "Angry Accountants" on sunny days and weekends, the coppers really concetrate on the more important issues connected to road safety like speed, drink, and obvious hoons (Unless it's some hairy mother wearing colours overtly advertising that he's running 2 kgs of meth over the border).

I'm not saying you don't have a legitimate gripe anymore than I do with the hoons doing circle work in the carpark near my place at 2 a.m. but in the scheme of all things road safety, it's relaytivelyyminor. (Besides, he's probably paid between $30-50K for the bike so he's gotta let everyone know he is the baddest mother with a midlife crisis on the block lol).

Cheers Mick

(P.S. Owned two noisy ones myself over the years before common sense got the better of me Ha)
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358287

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:53

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 08:53
Couldn't agree more Mick,

I've ridden bikes for 39 years, lots of jap bikes a couple of euro's & five Harley's. A well tuned Harley or V8 with loud pipes is music not noise, but if it is just loud for the sake of being loud then it is just irritating noise!

I'd rather listen to a nice exhaust note than the doofdoof music coming from some cars these days!

FollowupID: 626414

Reply By: austastar - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:10

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:10
Ditto re the 'Note' vs 'duff-duff' cacophony, but then again being a motorcyclist, I may be a little biased.
cheers
AnswerID: 358295

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:24

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:24
i am not sure the police would want to stop him anyway. just look at all the news now here in nsw re bikie gangs and new laws to try get the police to take control of them. our useless premier now has police protection in case the bikies retaliate against the new laws. what next. (he may need more protection from the public soon if the power keeps going out in sydney)

anyway you could try something a guy i once worked with did. its slightly different circumstances but result maybe same, dependant on whether the noise gets less if he is travelling slower (that i dont know not ever owning one) anyway tony from work was sick of never getting a park at work (regents park in sydney) due to workers from nearby businesses taking up all space. so being a maintenance chippy he made up a replica timber bus stop sign pole and painted it to match others and placed it right out front of work. from then on no one parked there except tony as they thought they would get fined. he always got his spot for several more years until he retired and was never fined for parking there. maybe you can fit a couple road closed signs or grooved road - not suitable for motorbikes signs each side of your property and get him to find a new way??? probably wont work there but as tony showed a liitle inginuity goes a long way to solving some of lifes dramas ....( last time i went up that road tony's bus stop pole was still there and no one parking in front of it - about 15 years after he put it in)
AnswerID: 358299

Reply By: wildbill05 - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:31

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 09:31
We have a neighbour???? who does the same thing outside my house most afternoons - I keep threatening to back a truck outside in front of him but my wife is worried about the manslaughter charge.
As we are 50m from the intersection where he turns to roar past my house i figure that no court would convict me as he is going so fast that by the time I can walk outside from my house he is out of sight so this is my defence.
All this in a suburb in Cairns and he has been doing it for years - the noise is so loud you cant hear a TV in your own house and they wonder why people get upset.
AnswerID: 358301

Follow Up By: austastar - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:06

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:06
If he is speeding,and it is regular times, your local constabulary may be interested in an 'easy catch'.
cheers
FollowupID: 626430

Follow Up By: Voxson - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:48

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 10:48
well well wildbill you have gone and ruined it now...
all of a sudden it has gone from manslaughter charge to a murder rap...
sometimes keep things to yourself... lol....

this loud harley will get done for noise,, it is just a matter of when..

i am waiting for the day i get done for mine,, (not a harley) but a v-twin with loud pipes.. termigoni's...
it's just a once a month sunday ride..

If i had a bike i had to ride everyday i would have the common decency to have it muffled....
FollowupID: 626434

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:04

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:04
I've heard also that many Hog owners must have alternate muffler kits, because there's no way that some of them could be at legal noise levels. I'm happy to let them have their fun, but that happiness falls short of having my hearing damaged if they pull out to pass me when my window is down. That isn't right !
AnswerID: 358314

Reply By: Isuzumu - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:19

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:19
Sitting in a quite park one day on one of our trips and along comes a mob of Harley's, I said to the Missus "wish the cops would pick them up for the bloody noise they make" she says "you want to hear your MU when you take off".......... so I shut up hahahahahaha
AnswerID: 358315

Reply By: Rolly - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:43

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 11:43
Unholy Hog noise is an ongoing irritant which contributes considerably to my misanthropy.
So do trail bikes with inadequate silencing; hovering News helicopters; illegal low flying aircraft; "hotted" utes with noisy exhausts and tyres that are specifically chosen because of the fine "music" they make when cornering, doing do-nuts etc.; a neighbour in a block of flats who brought home his nightclub DJ gear to 'practice' for a couple of hours each night etc.etc.etc.

Gotta go bush, and plurry soon!!!
AnswerID: 358321

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:48

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 14:48
just wait on the side of the road one morning and pull him over . Ask the rider politely if they wouldnt mind getting quieter mufflers as it is waking you up in the morning .
AnswerID: 358362

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:03

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:03
I like the sound of a Harley, there is nothing better, just wait and flag him down one morning and ask him politely to tone it down a bit, maybe he will and maybe he won't, at least you will have tried, you never know he might be all noise, and then again he might pay you a visit with his mates, so flag him down in front of some one elses place lol lol.

Cheers
Daza
AnswerID: 358366

Reply By: Ozboc - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:15

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 15:15
And its funny that no matter how loud your muffler is -- cage drivers ( car drivers ) still do not see or hear us ........

Boc

AnswerID: 358368

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:05

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:05
Your not related to Harold Scrubby are you? LOL
AnswerID: 358401

Follow Up By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:15

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 17:15
Yerrr.....I didn't want to say anything, but I'm his brother actually.
FollowupID: 626497

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:10

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:10
Aw c'mon, Harley's are not loud.

How can you compare the note of a Harley Exhaust to that of a 2 litre Rice Burner with a megafone exhaust and an exit "hole" one could crawl up if you desired.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 358467

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:14

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:14
Damn, I'm gonna have to put some mufflers on my old girl for when I go to FNQ. Nothing sweeter than the sound of a flathead with open pipes.

Louie
AnswerID: 358468

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:21

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:21
GT

Are they not just Air Compressors on wheels.. LOL

I live across the road from the Club Deroes MC club house, had to go out a buy a 4 stroke lawn mower so just not to bleep them off..

Cheers

Richard
AnswerID: 358472

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:24

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 07:24
Gee more HD enthusiasts here than one would have thought. (can't call 'em bikers anymore because that might risk them being declared a subversive organization:-))

I never meant to sound like a wowser.... It's just that I get up at 5.45am and that last hours or so of sleep in the morning is the best bit, so i get p.....d off at being woken at 5am.

On another note note I have just started building up a 292 Chevvy inline six for the Bedford and I understand that with the right headers and pipes you can get quite a unique rasp when you back of the throttle.

Would it be a good idea to get up a bit earlier, say on a Sunday, and go for a drive at about 5am??
AnswerID: 358515

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:33

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:33
Hahahahaha.....
Think yourself lucky, the biggest thing you have to complain about is some poor bugger who has to go to work earlier than you!
LOL
Cheers
FollowupID: 626723

Follow Up By: Steve - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:37

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:37
ding-dong.............

I think we have the root cause - he's a bit pi$$ed off at having to go to work at 5am

:)
FollowupID: 626736

Reply By: Shaker - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:32

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:32
The rule that doesn't seem to apply to motor cycles, is to keep within double white lines!
AnswerID: 358541

Follow Up By: Hairy (NT) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:58

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 20:58
LOL.... Its a bit like the look left, look right, look bike rule for car drivers hey?
Looking where your going only applies to bikes.
Hahaha.............
FollowupID: 626872

Sponsored Links