Best way to Mungo NP

HI,
I am thinking of going to Mungo NP next month and was wandering what is the best/easiest way to get there. I will be towing a camper with a pajero.

I believe you can go north from Balaranald or go from Mildura way. Most of the doco and/or trip directions I have found take you via Mildura (or there abouts)

I am from Canberra so want go to Mildura if I don't have to - I may go out that way though.

What are the roads like - is there a need to air down?

Also - I have a couple of weeks so not sure where to go from there - any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Richard

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Tony C - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:18

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:18
Hi Richard,
You can take the Ivanhoe Rd north of Ballranald and turn to the left or west about 10k north of Homebush Pub. Its well worth a stop at Homebush and a chat to Phil. Past the turn off the road is dirt but good going and about 70k. You could drop tyre pressures a bit but I wouldnt go to far considering it is a relatively good road and your speed will probably be around 70/80kph.

Going out to Pooncarie,Menindee,Broken Hill and up and across to Mootwingee(Mutawintji) National Pk is a great trip and one you could do before returning to Canberra.

Cheers
Tony
AnswerID: 358470

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:34

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 10:34
Yes this is route the locals I met last fortnight want us to promote and I've done the research but just awaiting a plot file from the shire or balranald cp people. I met the owner of the Homebush pub - and am fascinated by what he has to say about the place - I would love to have had the chance to get there and learn some more. I am due to give him a call in the next few days - they will be thrilled to know that people are planning to come via their route.
MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626608

Follow Up By: richard - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:53
Hi,
I had a look at their website - looks like nice friendly place to stop.

If I get there I will mention it was recommended on the site,

Richard
FollowupID: 626740

Reply By: Member - Netnut (VIC) - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:39
Hello Richard,
The route as described by Tony C is good gravel.

I suggest you drive carefully as there are many roos in the area. From my recent visit to Mungo I can attest to their lack of road sense.

The road from Mungo to Mildura has been upgraded and makes for a pleasant journey.

If you haven't been to Mutawinji NP, it's a great place to go camping with kids and very camper trailer friendly. You could go home via White Cliffs.

Cheers,
Netnut
AnswerID: 358478

Reply By: richard - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:53

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 21:53
Tony,Netnut,
Thanks for the replies.

I had been looking at that root but there is a few turn offs after Balaranald.

The Homebush pub is at Pernairie. It sounds like an interesting place to stop.

Is the turn off you are referring to go through Tin Tin

The next one is after Box creek - the way I had thought you would go.

There is also one further up the track

I have Oziexplorer - do you have of a track for this trip or know where one is.

Richard
AnswerID: 358485

Follow Up By: ruafrood - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 15:04

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 15:04
I have added a Oziexplorer track file in the "plot" section. Balranald to Mungo NP camp ground.

Points taken every 30 sec so there is a few spots where we stoped hence multiple points.

Hope it helps.

Ron
FollowupID: 626655

Follow Up By: richard - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:51

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:51
Ron,
Where can I find the plot - I have looked every where but can't find that one

Thanks again,

Richard
FollowupID: 626739

Follow Up By: richard - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:16

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:16
Found it - many thanks - looks like the one I was thinking of.

Now I hope I make it :)

Richard
FollowupID: 626743

Reply By: richard - Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 23:03

Monday, Apr 06, 2009 at 23:03
Hi,
I got this from the Web site

From Mildura, cross the bridge to Buronga and follow the Silver City Highway towards Broken Hill. As you leave Buronga you'll see Arumpo Road with a sign indicating Mungo National Park. Follow this road to its end.
Road quality: unpaved sections

From Balranald, follow the signs to Ivanhoe (Ivanhoe Road) for 53 kilometres. Turn left 3 kilometres after Box Creek Bridge (signposted), and follow the road until you get to the park.

From Wentworth, cross the bridge and turn left, following signage to Pooncarie. 20 kilometres before Pooncarie you'll see Top Hut Road with a sign indicating Mungo National Park. Follow this road to its end and turn right at the T-junction.
AnswerID: 358498

Reply By: Member - Ros-Ross (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:15

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:15
Hi Richard,
We did that trip last August from near Canberra. Travelled to Narrandra day 1. Then Narrandra to Balranald next day arriving lunch time. Picked up info and update on road conditions at the Balranald Tourist Info centre. Stayed at Balranald as left caravan there for trip out to Mungo. Drove to Mungo via the Ivanhoe Rd and followed signs turning off to Mungo. Good gravel Road. After looking around the Nat Parks Info Centre and doing the loop walk we headed off on the loop drive to view & explore the magnificent lunettes. We set up camp at the Belah camp site (had it all to ourselves). When we left Mungo we drove back to Balranald. It rained that night and we heard next day access to Mungo Nat Park had been closed so important to check road conditions if wet or recent rains. We drove from Balranald to Broken Hill (didn't actually go into Mildura this time). Always enjoy Broken Hill with lots to look at. At Info centre picked up info on Mutawintji guided tour so headed out there (without van) They have a great little camp site. We met the aboriginal guide at camp site and joined a tag along historic tour which was excellent - the walk, aboriginal art, dreamtime stories and info on flora and fauna. Spent a few days in Broken Hill then headed to White Cliffs via Wilcannia. White Cliffs has a great Nat Parks Office. We drove out to the Paroo Darling Nat Park and Lake Peery which was very nice and wonderful birdlife. After 2 nights in White Cliffs we drove to Cobar. Next Cobar to Lake Cargelligo. Then Lake Cargelligo to Forbes via Condobolin. From Forbes we were to stop over in Cowra but ended up driving home via backroads to Crookwell and Goulburn. Trip took us 14 days. We used $1000 worth of fuel and accommodation at van parks cost us $276.00 for 2 persons.
Enjoy your trip.
AnswerID: 358535

Reply By: DIO - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:26

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 09:26
BE WARNED - if there has been any rain in the area check with the National Parks office at Buronga (across the Murray River from Mildura) before proceeding onto dirt roads. Most of the roads in the area that are unsealed are clay based and become impassable when wet. Here's some contact details for you:

Street address: Corner of Sturt Highway and Melaleuca Street, Buronga NSW
Postal address: PO Box 318, Buronga NSW 2739
Phone: (03) 5021 8900
Fax: (03) 5022 2037
Email: buronga.office@environment.nsw.gov.au
AnswerID: 358540

Reply By: richard - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:30

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:30
To ,
Many thanks for the great advice,

Just have to do it now - just hope it doesn't rain

I will check the plot out