Tools to take on a trip?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 17:26
ThreadID: 67651 Views:3398 Replies:15 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all ,I have been hanging on to about $300 worth of Bunnings vouchers from my Bday and I thought I could buy myself a new sidchrome socket set ,but I was thinking if I can buy things for the big trip around OZ that we are doing soon ,then it got me thinking does anyone have any nifty tricks they would like to share IE: cable ties ,length of wire for odd patch jobs ,multi metrer,anthing really that way if I dont have it I might buy it ?

Regards John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:29

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:29
Hi John,
One thing that I have found very Handy is a container with various glues, apoxies and fillers in it. Had a plastic filler I used to fill the crack in the radiator. Trim glue to glue a rubber seal on. Contact adhesive to glue carpet back on the self in the back and numerous other little jobs along the way. Very handy. I would also recommend one packet of huge cable ties (really big ones). Can be used to tie what ever on when whatever breaks of.
Just a couple of things of the top of my head.

Josh
AnswerID: 358633

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:55

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 18:55
Thanx Josh,thats what Im talking about you know its always good to be prepared ,I have got a heap of tools but I dont know what I would want to take and these glues are a good idea as I needed to buy an epoxy resin once on my way to fraser as the control switches for the electric windows went bung and its been good for 4 years so far LOL!

Cheers John.
FollowupID: 626698

Reply By: equinox - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:04

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:04
John,

Gaffa tape or mesh tape comes in handy....Can almost fix anything.

The most important tools I would take though are the shovel and tyre lever.

Cheers
Alan
Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

<<- CSR

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358639

Reply By: obee1212 - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:08

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:08
A good pair of fencing pliers made in the first world will set you back by maybe a hundred bucks. Long handles is what to look for.

A good first world shovel not too big. Number zero comes to mind.

Six inch, eight inch and 12 inch shifters but not chinese.

Vise grips

strong tape

Chinese sockets will do you cos you wont need them to do anything too heavy too many times.

Same for open enders and ringys

a sharp knife and sharpener ( knife heavy and one small)

small screwdrivers that will tighten your spectacles

scissors

Thats about as basic as I can think of

Owen

AnswerID: 358641

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:09

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:09
John

Click on My Profile below. Have a few things there which go with me...LOL

Cheers
AnswerID: 358643

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:56

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:56
Willem!! Where do you put all that stuff, i'm tired just reading it, let alone packing and unpacking it!!! :) Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

There's time to rest when you're dead,
Get out and do something instead!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 626713

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:07

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 20:07
Hi Michael

And my truck is under GVM fully loaded. There is some weight in the trailer. A lot of stuff is small stuff....just looks like a lot when you write it down...:-)

FollowupID: 626717

Reply By: Tenpounder - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:29

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:29
Hi there. In the last ten years, I have found the main need I've had is for electrical repairs, alterations,etc. For me, this has meant a multimeter; 12v soldering iron; heat sinks; solder; connectors; crimping tool; spare fuse holders; spare fuses, globes and various lengths of wire; oh yes, and a reel of solder and I carry a solder pump too. In my time, more use than a s**t load of mechanical tools, but then it may be different for you!
The funny thing, all this doesn't add up to much in dollars, but it sure beats the s**t out of sitting by the side of the road with a blown ciggy lighter plus and a hot fridge!!!
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 358648

Reply By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:40

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:40
After spending 4 mths out on a station working, one very handy piece of equipment we learned to carry is some No 8 fencing wire, and learn how to do a Cobb & Co twitch
We held rear ends & springs in on mustering buggies with it.!! Got us back to the homestead anyway.cheers unc.
AnswerID: 358652

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:12

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:12
Hi Uncle,
My late father told me to carry some fencing wire with me all the time. The ribbing I use cop from my mates, hmmm
It's amazing what you can do with it. I've used it tie in a engine block mount that once broke. Very handy for fixing a muffler rubber that breaks as well.

FollowupID: 626728

Follow Up By: Member - Uncle (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 06:00

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 06:00
Yeah Jon,

it's pretty versatile stuff I reckon. We also used it to tie up some of the bull pens whenever we ran out of the pins that go in the top rails. The boss at the station said he's never lost a bull in 30 yrs , and thy are very wild buggers too.cheers Unc.
FollowupID: 626765

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:51

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 19:51
Gidday

Angle grinder.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 358659

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:24
Kim,

Here's a suggestion:

I just bought a lurverly Ryobi - a Bunnings only brand nowadays - 18 V Angle Grinder for $ 98. Not hard core stuff, but useful home handyman gear. I think it spins at about 6500 rpm Vs 10,000 rpm for 240 volt.

I had to get batteries (yeah, each manufacturer uses his own connections/battery pack; what I had would not adapt to the Ryobi) so ended up with a pack which included: Impact drill, quick charge 240 V charger + 2 x 18 Volt batteries). That cost $ 139.
All up $ 237. All but the charger now sit in the tool drawer, up over the axle. Figured that if I go through 2 x 18 V batts I'm gunna be in deep doggy do anyway. Have to cut down on weight as much as possible, so the charger stays behind. My inverter won't drive it, anyway.

I has spied a battery driven angle grinder while out in the sticks last year. It was being used to good effect with a dodgy spring hanger etc. I have searched since then to find one; could not resist when I came across this 3 weeks ago.

Will I need it?? - hope not!

But it does give some peace of mind & independence. I certainly would not hesitate to use it on the 4 x 4, even if it disfigured it a tad..............the end may justify the means.

Cheers
FollowupID: 626732

Follow Up By: Rick (S.A.) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:27

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:27
OoooPs, that should have been a suggestion for Johnny Boy.
FollowupID: 626733

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:07

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:07
Hi,
You could also add to your list,
2 meters of 8 gauge fencing wire,
A magnet on a telescopic arm about 700mmmin length, that retracts down to about a biro length, ver handy for when you drop nuts, bolts in the engine bay and they get stuck somewhere.
600mm x 20mm gal water pipe, very handy for lifting wheels on to the studs, and for undoing tight wheel nuts. Extra leverage.
Tyre levers, and a puncture repair kit. Small rechargeable LED light stick.
One of them little clear see through boxes with dividers filled with three or four of each fuse you use.
Most of this stuff I carry with us all the time.

AnswerID: 358680

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:47

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:47
Thank you all so much this is what I needed a heap of brain storming that ends up building a great tool kit and yes I have written it all down and tomorrow morning Im going through the garage to put together a kit and buy what I have not got.
Thanks again eveyone!!

Kind Regards John.
FollowupID: 626737

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:47

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:47
And a box of assorted nuts and bolts, preferably the same thread form as your vehicle. What size???? Depends on what you intend to break.

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 626748

Reply By: Member - Richard H (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:10

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 09:10
John,

A quality hydraulic jack, heave the rubbish thing that comes with the vehicle, again a quality wheel nut brace, and 5-6 wheel nut studs, plus spare nuts to fit.

Check the wheel nuts on your vehicle to ensure that you can undo them as the idiots who work in tyre places sometimes take delight in doing them up so tight with a rattle gun, that you cannot undo them and sheer the stud.

I recall a bloke in the Simpson having to make a 200 km run into Birdsville to get new studs for a vehicle in his group, that had new tyres fitted in Alice Springs.

Always buy 1st world tools, & keep away from Chinese rubbish. I know they are expensive, but you can't expect your sons or sons inlaw, to use anything else, can you (tongue in cheek).
AnswerID: 358750

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:02

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 10:02
One of those electrical impact wrenches. Shentia or similar. Plus a good set of impact sockets. Sockets are dual purpose, can be used with an ordinary t'bar or ratchet handle. The impact wrench is good for undoing all sorts of stubborn nuts.
AnswerID: 358759

Reply By: stevesub - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:31

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 14:31
We carry a basic socket set, set of ring and open ended spanners, screw driver set, misc small tools such as vice grips, pliers, cutters, hammer, wheel brace, tyre levers, 2 good jacks, duct tape, cable ties, a roll of small dia wire and have very rarely have to use them.

We do spend a lot of money on getting the vehicle serviced on a regular basis and at every second service, everything is checked incl dismantling, checking and repacking all wheel bearings and brakes. Costs us a lot, but we have never been let down by the vehicle.

Our tools range from good quality to Chinese rubbish, depending when i bought them but I only expect one use out of the cheapies whereas the good quality ones last a lifetime of constant use.

Stevesub
AnswerID: 358793

Reply By: TassieD - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 15:49

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 15:49
Add to all that an assortment of o-rings, tap washers, plumbers tape, fuses and spare automotive globes.
AnswerID: 358811

Reply By: farmer112 - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 00:19

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 00:19
Hi John,

until now, I repaired most small stuff with gaffa tape. I also always carry some wire, as well as a tool kit and of course typical spares (like belts, radiator hoses).

When considering what to take with you, consider typical mechanical trouble with your type of vehicle. For instance, I have heard about problems with fuses, concerning my preferred car, the Toyota Troopy. There are some main fuses which are directly connected to the battery. Bad thing if one of those gives up. So make sure to carry some spare fuses. Jumper leads are also a good idea.

But in my eyes, number one breakdowns are tyre problems. I always carry not only tyre levers and a puncture repair kit and enough spare tubes, but also a bead breaker. This became especially handy on the Gary Highway, when I helped some nice Aussies change the bloody tube on their Hino truck tyre.

What about safety equipment?
On many tracks it makes sense not only to have a fire extinguisher, but also a 5 or 8 litre garden spray, which can be used in case of a spinnifex fire under your car. An advanced first aid kit would also be a good idea if you only have a basic one until now. A second fire extinguisher also makes sense.

The most handy tool that I regularly use during my outback tours is my Leatherman tool. Can really recommend this stuff. Always have it with me on my belt.

For handling the barbecue gear and the camp fire I use special high temperature gloves which are usually used for welding.

LED headlights may be another idea if you do not already own them. There is a great lamp available from German manufacturer LED Lenser (Zweibrueder), named the H 7. Bright as hell.

Bunnings also have a range of camping equipment. Just for in case that you don't know what to spend the rest of your bucks on.

Cheers from bloody boring Dortmund/Germany,

Juergen
AnswerID: 358889

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 07:43

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 07:43
Oh, and some of this stuff..

Rescue Tape.

Available from boating chandlery's etc.
AnswerID: 358904

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:18

Thursday, Apr 09, 2009 at 09:18
Self amalgamating tape ,1001 uses ,almost as many uses as 8# fencing wire,,