Older Pjaero vs Jackaroo

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 21:41
ThreadID: 67665 Views:3802 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Am looking to upgrade to an actual 4WD in a few months (currently cruising around with a 2000 Rav4. Works fine but restricts our range of exploration somewhat).

Given it will be primarily used in the city and we won't be going too remote (yet...) am thinking of an older Pajero or Jackaroo, preferably under $10K. Have an Allwest c/t (steel chassis, aluminium body, weight no more than 550kg fully loaded), so don't need huge amount of power.

Searching in the archives, the V6 petrol Jackaroo seems to be a very popular choice (sorry to thoser TD fans out there - got two young kids so won't want to risk getting stuck anywhere). Not many discussions on the older Pajeros (diesel or petrol), and not sure of that's considered a good or bad thing (are they both good and no problems? Or does no one have them...).

Has anyone put the petrol versions of these on LPG? We've done this to our Rav and (obviously) great to run and doubles our range between filling up.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Tristan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:07

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:07
Love my Jackaroo,not that I have had it very long, but petrol engine seems a better choice...lol, if you want a sob story, read my,, 'The old Jackaroo 3.0TD' thread.
My son in law has a similar age (1999) Pajero, they have 3 kids, and it is perfect. Petrol engine, not sure of the size, but plenty of power, and goes pretty much anywhere,,, well maybe not rock-hopping :) I have been pulling my Tylemyer CT with Oztrail 9 tent with a 1992 Hilux 2.4 petrol,,,, ( the move to the Jackaroo was for comfort), no probs, and I think it would weigh much more than your Allwest. So I cant see any probs with either Jack or Paj. Good luck, hope you find a good one, just find what you like and can afford, and check it out well. Bushie
AnswerID: 358700

Reply By: Mick W - Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:17

Tuesday, Apr 07, 2009 at 22:17
IF you like the look of the jackaroos, why not consider one of the earlier 3.1L turbo diesels (4JG1-t). Not as many electronics as the 3L, but just as economical, a little lower on the power than the 3L, but still very good.. It is essentially a 2.8L rodeo motor (4JBI-t) that has been bored that little bit more and is fitted with an intercooler.Same stylings and looks as the later 3L.

About 95 they brought out a SE version and ran them to some where around 97. Bullet proof and very reliable.
AnswerID: 358704

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:14

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 01:14
Own a Challenger now on dual fuel, have owned both a Triton 3ltr V6 and Paj V6 on duel fuel. Both with no problems, definately easier to get parts for as they have used the 3ltr motor for a decade now in Magnas, Tritons, Pajs and of course mu current Challenger. They even use the motors for speedway because they are so strong.

I know the local GMH mechanics, and they certainly dont like the Jacks, but to each their own.
AnswerID: 358725

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 15:38

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 15:38
While I find my Jack, 2000 V6, ideal for touring ,& like you, towing a light C/t, I'm not sure if it is the ideal daily city drive. Can be hard on fuel if driven hard. Early diesels may be better but hard to find with low ks. Gas is an option but restricts touring range. Cant
fault my Jack, but it is a holiday only car, as I use small cars for
other duties. It is a tough compromise finding a real 4wd that is
also suitable for city use. I find it much more economical to run
two vehicles......oldbaz.
AnswerID: 358804

Reply By: Member - RFLundgren (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 18:26

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 18:26
Hi Tristan

Although I have a Patrol now, I spent 7 years loving my 96 TD Pajero. In that 7 years I put over 420,000 kms on the clock, and besides a minor bottom end rebuild of the motor at around 400K it did not miss a beat at all.

4 trips outback with it and it was also my daily driver from Lake Macquarie near Newcastle down to Sydney. In some ways I do regret selling it, although I did need something a bit bigger with a bit more power to tow the camper.

Given the chance I would definitely own another as I found it to be a great vehicle and toitally underrated as a 4 x 4. As a member of the Central Coast 4 wheel drive club then, it went on all the trips, from easy to hard, and still followed the Cruisers and Patrols everywhere without any trouble.

I would highly recommend looking at one.Mine was a 96 model. The shape changed a little in 97 and then dramatically in 2000, so cant comment on the 2000 and newer models, but have heard some good things from people who own them.

Cheers

Richard

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 358847

Reply By: Madfisher - Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:25

Wednesday, Apr 08, 2009 at 22:25
We have had both Pajs and Jacks so can comment without bias. The 3.5 Jack motor is a ripper, 158kw but much smoother then our old 3lt Paj( wide angle v6 againest the narrow v6 Paj motor) Our old Paj was very reliable and gave no trouble over 3 years. If you want economy stay away from autos in both. The Diff is about 100ks per tank.
If I was in your shoes I would be more interested in the condition of a particular vehicle and its service history.But lots of low k Jacks and Pajs arround . We sold our old NH with 98000ks for $7400 only 2 months ago. Quite a few Pajs on car sales with less then 150000ks.
Lastly drive both and buy the one you like best. If you want to put it on gas a NL or later Paj is your best bet. Bit of a risk putting Jacks on gas.
Good luck Pete
AnswerID: 358877

Sponsored Links