buying a defender xtreme

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 13:31
ThreadID: 6771 Views:3998 Replies:13 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying a defender xtreme (new) being used as a second car and would like to hear from other people who have bought one
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jim - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 20:00

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 20:00
Don't hold your breathe !!!!
AnswerID: 28845

Reply By: Edward from Off Road Safaris - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 21:08

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 21:08
Be ready to hear all the moans!! All products from that stable give grief more frequently than other makes.
AnswerID: 28855

Follow Up By: Slunnie - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 22:41

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 22:41
LOL!

Not from my experience with products from "that" stable.
FollowupID: 20110

Reply By: Member - Timothy - Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 23:34

Saturday, Aug 23, 2003 at 23:34
Just back from a 8,500 trip in our extreme 02 year. Our second biggish trip and now having clocked up 40,000 ks. Have not had a single problem.

You can fit a huge amount of gear in the back, the comfort and ride is great, and you get to drive a truck with lots of character.

Downsides.. the turning circle is atrocious, and you get stopped everywhere by people telling you how great it looks and telling you about the LR's they used to own

You'll hear a lot of drivel about land rovers on this forum (search the archive), my best advice is to connect up with a LR club, go for a ride, talk to plenty of owners and make up your own mind.

Timothy Hyde

Defender Extreme
AnswerID: 28862

Follow Up By: Edward from Off Road Safaris - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:47

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:47
Timothy the key words in your post are "used to own". They used to be considered great vehicles but most people have moved on to far more refined and reliable vehicles. They have nostalgic appeal as they still look like they did in the sixties. I travelled many miles of high country in a 1959 model in the early sixties. I've moved on.
FollowupID: 20115

Follow Up By: landie - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:57

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:57
They might look the same as your old 1959 model, but that's about all.

Whilst they are more "refined" since earlier models, Landrover are to be congratulated for not "softening" up their product to widen their appeal to the supermarket set.

They remain a serious alternative for off-road travel, but you got to love em!

Landie (diehard)

FollowupID: 20118

Reply By: landie - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:04

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 08:04
Glenno

We own a 2001 model, had it since new, and have had 60,000 klm of trouble free outback travel, including twice across the Simpson in the past 12 months, plus other trips.

We have modified suspension and a few other generic changes, goes like a treat.

If you are Sydney based the Land Rover Owners Club meets this Tuesday 26th at 134 Queens Road Fivedock, come along.
AnswerID: 28871

Reply By: Peter - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:45

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 09:45
Land Rover owners get very tired of ignorant people who have either never owned a Land Rover or haven't done so since the Series models of the fifties, sixties and seventies, offering their opinion on the reliability or otherwise of late model Rovers. My experience is at odds with their opinions.

I purchased my Defender new in October1998 and since then has travelled 145,000km. This Defender has crossed the Simpson seven times including the Madigan Line. The Canning, Gunbarrel Hwy, Anne Beadell Hwy, Gary Highway, Gibb River Rd, Plenty Hwy, and is going back for more.

Total problems to date: 1 flat tyre, 1 broken rear spring (Lovell's), cracked fuel tank bracket, 1 rear diff seal.

I don't think that is much to complain about. Can any other make match that record.

The reasons peple buy Defenders are: Aluminium body, large cargo area with square sides, minimal easily scratched plastic panels, simple easy to repair design, retro looks, fuel ecomomy, good cabin visibility and an ability to take the rough going.

Having said that a Land Rover is an enthusiasts vehicle, it is not the sort of vehicle you can just book into the garage a couple of times a year for services. Preventative maintenance is a way of life with a Defender, you will or should get to know every nut and bolt on it. If you don't have a liking for applying plenty of TLC to your wheels, go and buy a plastic shrouded shopping trolley, there are dozens of choices out there.

I guess if you are thinking about tag-alongs, you should make sure the outfit is Rover friendly, otherwise you will be subjected to all sorts of uninformed campfire crap. By the sound of it don't go with Off Road Safaris, they have already made their mind up. Remember they have abundant Land Rover experience, a 1959 model they owned 40 years ago!!!
AnswerID: 28881

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:33

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 21:33
I think your own words put the case very well ....."Having said that a Land Rover is an enthusiasts vehicle,," ...... which i trust means that you might as well/ must be a fully fledged mechanic to keep it on the road?
Fortunately I have one of those dastardly effective LandCruisers ... with 196k's and have had to replace a weeping oil gasket on the osr hub... cost a noble sum of $3 to procure from my local (o what a feeling ) dealer and just replaced the wiper blades on the rear and front screens ...but to be fair,.... i dont reckon i will keep it for 40 or so more years ...
FollowupID: 20175

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:36

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:36
mmm, a cheap Toyota part...that's gotta be a novelty...
FollowupID: 20217

Follow Up By: landie - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:52

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 15:52
Steve

I'm not a mechanic, but I ensure my vehicle is well prepared and this means more than just sending it to the local garage for a service.

Anyone who does serious off-roading would understand the need for a well prepared vehicle, whether that be a Toyota, Nissan, Landrover, or whatever.

In fact, I doubt that there is any off the shelf product that is suitable for the rigours of our off road requirements in Australia, that is why there is a thriving after market industry.

FollowupID: 20249

Reply By: lindsay - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:43

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 11:43
I have had 3 defenders since .92 and have had no major problems, worst one was a water pump bearing at 72,000 clicks. Done Simpson 3 times, Canning , Anne Beadell twice Connie Sue, Plenty, Kimberlys and numerous other fornight trips. I also put up with the uninformed rot that the great uneducated/unwashed sling at you. Now happily own an Extreme and apart from a few niggles eg. front springs sagged(steel bullbar & 10,000 lb winch) were repaced under warranty & a ABS sensor also replaced.It has the best load capacity in volume and Kilograms of any of the wagons. A real practical vehicle for those who are not yuppies and don't want an icemaker and some of the mod cons. It would be the most fuel efficient large 4X4 available as I have been away with everything from Hiluxes to Patrols and Tojos.
Read some of their fuel economies in the trip section. Probly the worst feature is the resale value if you change them over on a regualar basis as we do .
AnswerID: 28893

Follow Up By: haze - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:38

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 14:38
how refreshing to read some thumbs up for the so often maligned Landie. I mentioned in another post I have maintained continuous ownership of the breed since 1954 (s1 swb) The present stable is a 76 s3 2.25 diesel tray, and a 97 Tdi disco. As slow as any wet week, the old 76 ultimately gets into places my 97 tojo trayback competely baulks at. (and then comes home again!) The disco, same chassis etc. as defender simply has a more creature comfort orientated shed on top. Never given a moments problem, still even running the original battery (but they do come with a decent calcium one) And I can say that since '54 I have never been broken down on the road in any one of them. Knock them they may, but the proof is well and truly there
LLTL
FollowupID: 20137

Reply By: Fred - Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:50

Sunday, Aug 24, 2003 at 22:50
Don't you just have to love LR owners? Just have a look at the problems listed in the posts so far and still they seem to think that's OK - sagging suspension, cracked brackets and of course OIL LEAKS! Have a friend with a 98 Disco TD and his engine bay is as oily as a can of sardines - he thought it was meant to be till he saw oil less Cruiser!
AnswerID: 28980

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:35

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:35
yep, cracked brackets coz Defenders, Discos and Patrols actually get off-road now and again as opposed to the getting to the supermarket and school like most Prados and 100 series cruisers...and oil's a lot cheaper than Toyota spares ;)
FollowupID: 20216

Reply By: Alan H - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:20

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:20
I've had a Defender Td5 wagon for approx. 4 months and the only complaint I have is the sloppy way it was put together.
It's going back for the 4th time this week to have the rear section window seals replaced, an ongoing prob. This has been mostly I think because of the so called service manager at the main dealers, who advises that a prob. has been fixed when nothing has beed done!
He's now been replaced so maybe service will pick ...... fingers crossed and the attitude of them this morning was much better, and they'll supply a vehicle to cover the time it's off the road.
No other troubles with it, the gearbox is beginning to free up as changes were very tight, but 7000klms later it's much easier.
Pulls the van at 1.5 tonnes much better that the 300 Tdi Disco and it's very comfortable (after you 've been twisted to fit!) and great in the rough. Economy good too.
And the cook likes it so at least I haven't got her beating my ears to death with complaints when we're on the move.!!!!!
AnswerID: 29019

Reply By: glenno - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:59

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:59
Thanks for the info. The more info i can get on these defenders the better.By the way i live in brizvagas(brisbane).I will be doing mostly sand driving as fraser island, moreton island,stradbroke island,cooloola coast,are all close by. Do those anti corrosion devices work ?.Checked out a price on a new defender xtreme today and i think i will be getting a second hand one ,that is if i can pick a descent one up for around $40000.
AnswerID: 29146

Reply By: mr fixit - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:43

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 21:43
I must be dreaming. . . .. people with defenders try to praise them just to justify the big mistake they made. . . .you dont hear much praise for defenders from people that dont own one. . . .. . . .. I would not own one, I like to spend my life in a vehicle not under it. . . . ..Dont buy a defender !!
AnswerID: 29263

Follow Up By: TonyY - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 00:02

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 00:02
mr fixit, the question was asking Defender owners for their opinions of the vehicle, not for uninformed rubbish.
FollowupID: 20383

Follow Up By: Simon - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:49

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:49
In the fifteen years that I have been into the 'four wheel drive' scene there has always been a bitter rivalry between Land Rover owners and the other Japanese brands - I have owned nothing but Land Rovers for that time and have no complaints at all. Almost all the stories I have heard from both sides are more often than not a complete load of *#$t formed from a string of stoties and based on some ignorant tosser's opinion.
In short, enjoy what you drive/own and before telling others what to do have a good hard think
FollowupID: 20414

Reply By: TonyY - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 00:10

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 00:10
I have a 2002 Extreme which has covered 50,000km and is a brilliant vehicle. Don't know why we have all the comments about oil leaks and unreliability from the uniformed masses; I have not heard of any problems with the Td5 (including hanging around overseas forums), apart from early teething hassles with the ECU.

I understand the comment about being an enthusiasts vehicle, there are some features which a lot of people would find hard to live with, such as the lack of noise insulation and the uncomfortable back seat.

It is a vehicle for those that want simply the most capable stock 4wd on the market.

I am also constantly approached by others with positive comments and so often hear the comment "I would love one but my wife won't let me" So not a vehicle for flatheads either.

Even attracted a "nice truck!" comment from a bikini clad beauty on the beach at Coral Bay.

I don't feel the need to bag other makes because I don't suffer from feelings of inferiority. ;)
AnswerID: 29275

Reply By: Member - Rohan K - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:45

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:45
Glenno, this'll be an interesting thread. I'm considering the same move when I up-size (note, I did not say up-grade) from the Pathy. The 3 options I see are a Patrol, Cruiser 80 or 100 series or the LR.

I've had a close look at the LR and it's got a lot going for it. Unfortunately ergonomics is not one of them and I might have trouble convincing the "other driver" of its merits. One undeniable fact is that it has significantly greater luggage space behind the rear seats. The Patrols and Cruisers are really quite pathetic by comparison. This is a real consideration for family treks into the deserts where the trailer can't go. Also, there's probably no-where you can go that you wouldn't find someone who knew how to fix a Landie - can't say the same for the new model Nissans and Tojos.
Smile, you're on ExplorOz
Rohan (Sydney - on the QLD side of the Harbour Bridge)
AnswerID: 29337

Reply By: glenno - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:10

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 21:10
I testdrove a second hand defender wagon 1998 model that was at a ford dealer and it had 25000kms on the clock.This was back in 1999 and they wanted $30,000 back then. Now i find that the same year defender that now has over 100,000 kms on the clock is still worth around $30,000. (in brizvagas anyway). It seems to me the dearer a new one gets is proportional to how much a second hand one goes up in price.
AnswerID: 29367

Sponsored Links