Coral Coast & Dogs

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 18:07
ThreadID: 67785 Views:8925 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy,
We are planning a holiday to Coral Bay / Exmouth and have a 10 month old staffy coming along with us. I know that there are some caravan parks around those areas that will allow dogs, and that there is overnight type stays at boarding kennels in Exmouth, however we would like to do the 4WD track from yardie creek to coral bay with her along the way, is this possible?

I'm not happy leaving her in a kennel overnight or for a few days, and she is part of the family so a holiday without her wont be the same, she's been away with us a few time already and is well behaved and never let of the leash.

Hope to hear some good news

Ryan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 18:42

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 18:42
Hi Ryan.
We were there in mid-2008. Yes, there are short term kennelling options (the Council pound, to be precise). I don't recall any others.
There is a firm ban on dogs between Exmouth and Coral Bay becasue of the national park (I don't think there is any other route between the two), unless you keep your dog between the national park and the marine park, which is probably just the distance between high and low tide lines!!! Seriously, we fund it quite hard with the dog, although there were no problems at the caravan park (Yardi Homestead). Also, there are big areas of 1080 baiting around Exmouth. Almost all the good spots are no-dog, and my wife and I had to take it in turns to dog-sit. This includes glass-bottomed boat trips, where you can't take your dog.
But at least we didn't feel as ostracised as we did in Broome!!
Not an easy answer, which is probably why Yardie Homestead caravan park was heavily dog-populated!
Hope this helps.
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 359322

Reply By: Dunco (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 23:29

Sunday, Apr 12, 2009 at 23:29
To go from Yardie Creek to Coral Bay you have to first go through Cape Range national Park. NO DOGS...although there were plenty of feral cats when I was there last July

AnswerID: 359335

Reply By: Member - Mark - Exmouth WA - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:26

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:26
Ryan, as a local i can tell you that taking a dog through Cape Range National Park is fine as long as you dont stop in the park, i take my dogs through there all the time when going camping south of the park, if you are coming from the Coral Bay side when doing the west coast track there is no one to stop you, if doing the same track coming from Exmouth you have to stop at the front gate to the park, tell them you are going to Coral Bay and they will let you through.

I cam tell you at Easter 2007 there was a family camped at Yardie Creek with a staffie how they got away with it is beyond me, when crossing Yardie Creek be extra careful, i have had to tow several people out of there as they did not use their brains and walk across it first, can be dangerous.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 359348

Reply By: Dave Thomson - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:23

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:23
Ryan when we were there last year there was a woman in the tourist shop at the caravan park who dog minds for $25.00 a night (most of which goes to the RSPCA) think her name was dawn, but she was brilliant, our dog didn't want to go when we picked her up, and she's pretty spoiled mate,
regards,
Dave
AnswerID: 359384

Sponsored Links