Ferndale - Chicester Dam NSW

Submitted: Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:21
ThreadID: 67791 Views:6012 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Am planning a trip to Ferndale camp ground near Dungog, has anyone been there and can give me their opinions or comments?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozboc - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:42

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:42
HI there , i have not been there - as its a pay site - and for me camping is free, away from hordes of other people ( when able to ) so cant comment on that facility

Last time i was out that way Chichester dam was closed to the public - there was no indication as to why - so if your planning on adding that to your itinerary - you should perhaps ring them and ask if they are open for viewing ....

with that said --- there are some really nice spots inside the chichester state forest you can camp at for free and by the river - if you have a GPS i would be happy to send you some co ordinates ....
AnswerID: 359362

Follow Up By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:10

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 12:10
Hi Ozboc,
Thanks for the tip re Chicester Dam being closed your last visit.
I do agree with you about getting away from the hordes (hence me being at home at my pc Easter weekend).
We are going with another mob who have an aversion to going anywhere without a flush toilet.
Friends have been to Telegherry campground in the SF and had favourable things to say.
Thanks for the offer of GPS co-ords, I don't have one, people keep threatening to buy me one but I'm a 'mapoholic'...call me old fashioned.
FollowupID: 627365

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 17:35

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 17:35
NP - last time i went Telegherry camp ground was also closed ( gate locked ) no sign saying why - took a wonder in and everything looked fine .... so ended up going to coachwood instead

does anyone know if its open ? thinking about going again soon

Boc
FollowupID: 627386

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 13:25

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 13:25
Smokee, being a mapóholic you could still use the gps co-ords to find the location on your map??? Even portapotties flush.... lol.
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359370

Follow Up By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:44

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:44
Fred, I've just not felt the need to date for a GPS...or to carry my own toilet. As in all things, each to their own.
FollowupID: 627377

Reply By: didiaust - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 13:41

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 13:41
G'day Smokee

We went there last June long weekend. Love the spot but without much fishing opportunity hubby gets a little bored. The river runs through the park there are powered sites but they are situated in the very middle of the park so we opted for the fringe sites without power. There had been a coinsiderable amount of rain before we went and the grounds stood up well. AQ young fellow cam through selling wood but we had already been out gathering. The amenities are basic but do the job. I hated the narrow steep road into the property and towing a van was a bit worrying if you struck another going in the opposite direction - someone would have to back up in some sections.
We are certainly going to return. Give Hunter Water a ring re the Dam being open- perhaps their Dungog oppice.

If you have any other specific questions then fire away

I could only stay there a max of 3 or 4 days

Di
AnswerID: 359372

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 14:53

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 14:53
Hi Smokee, I've been going there a few times a year for the last few years. A beautiful spot to camp, some bushwalking, nice running river, but thats about it. Basic amenities, but we are self sufficient, and go as far away on the property as possible, to get peace and quiet. The owner is a great bloke, and we have had a quiet chat over a drink when the crowds go home, (we try to stay a day longer than the average long weekend holidaymakers). It is pay for use only because it is private property,,, cattle walk around your campsite morning and evening. Plenty of birds, the odd wallaby, a few goannas, good place for kids too, with grassy playing areas. Watch for leeches in the damp grass, and we did see one red bellied black snake last year in summer. We go there for the solitude, not far from home, but not a huge amount of activities other than a bit of bushwalking. I didn't think the track in was bad, but then I only tow a c/t. 2wd access for the main section of the property, and though I have seen 2wd vehicles further along the track, I would prefer going there in 4wd. My camping mate drives a Rav4,, absolutely no probs. No motor bikes allowed, so that helps keep things quiet too. We love the place, but it depends what you are after, like I said, we love the bush, and the peacefulness. Have a great time if you go, cheers, Dave
AnswerID: 359381

Reply By: sfletch - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:13

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 15:13
Its not that exspensive,bout $7 ,Great spot ,can be a bit more quiet than Telegherey camping although Telegherey is agreat place too,can get some riff raff on the very odd accasion,Ferndale tho showers/flushuing toilet, nice deep pool in river to swim in,walk to dam from campground,can catch the odd Bass if lucky,have seen Eel Tail Catties there,you can drive to state forest and surrounds no prob, i have camped lots of places in the bush for free but dont mind paying to camp at Ferndale. Best part is you can take your dog if you have one.
AnswerID: 359383

Follow Up By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 16:04

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 16:04
Hi to sfletch, didiaust & Bushwhacker,
Thanks to all for your input, sounds like just the ticket to suit all going on this particular trip.
I don't mind paying to camp from time to time either sfletch.
If I can do a bit of bushwalking, a bit of driving in the SF and have a fire (break out the camp oven!) I'll be happy.
Not worried about rough roads and won't be towing but thanks for mentioning it Di.
Speaking of rough roads, have friends towing a jayco swan into Wollondilly River this weekend, if you're familiar with this one you'll know why I suggested they go in from Taralga.
FollowupID: 627379

Reply By: Bushwhacker - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 17:46

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 17:46
Hey Smokee, just a bit O/T, but could you let us all know about Wolondilly please... been thinking of going there. I have checked their website, looks good. Thanks, Bushwhacker
AnswerID: 359396

Follow Up By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 18:30

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 18:30
Hi Bushwhacker,we haven't stayed at Wollondilly personally, driven through from Mittagong to get to Wombeyan Caves.
Friends and family that have like it though.
The road on the Mittagong side is narrow and ungraded in many parts but spectacular.
There's a sandstone tunnel cutting you have to go through but can't remember the height clearance, this may be a problem if you're towing something large.
Having said that we wouldn't want to tow anything down that road. Someone else may have a better memory of this route.
Road out through Taralga and Goulburn is quicker and easier.
Wombeyan is well worth a look, nice campground and the caves are interesting.
FollowupID: 627390

Follow Up By: Smokee - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:11

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:11
Hi Bushwhacker,
More info via friends just returned from Wollondilly, the road in from Mittagong side has been graded and they had no probs. Said it was quite busy with a couple of large, slighty rowdy groups, said they'd go back though. Chemical toilets were cleared on a regular basis, very little water in the river at the moment but that's the story in most South East locales lately.
FollowupID: 627483

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 20:48
Hi Smokee, thanks for that. I met the lady from the station at Maitland 4wd & Camping show a couple years ago, bought a book on camp oven cooking from her, damn she makes good biscuits! Been meaning to get there since then, hopefully not too much longer to wait. Cheers, Dave
FollowupID: 627529

Reply By: Bluemetaldaisy - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:34

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 13:34
G'day Smokee.
We camp there regularly as it's our favourite camping spot. The rates are amongst the cheapest and the owner and his wife are great! It's just past Bandon Grove, exactly 1km before the end of the road at Chichester Dam with the entrance (on the right) directly opposite The Barringtons Country retreat. We love the flat area for camping and the amenities block is handy. The Chichester River is more of a creek really, but nice to swim in and a short walk after crossing the weir brings you to the waterhole complete with Tarzan rope. The owner can sell you firewood or you can bring it in. Dogs are allowed. Let me know if you want more info, as I've got pics and can look up my GPS for the co-ords if you want. I can also give you better detail about the drive to ferndale Park.
AnswerID: 359502

Follow Up By: Smokee - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:17

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:17
Hi Bluemetaldaisy,
I'm sold on Ferndale, haven't had a negative comment really on this thread. Thanks for the offer of more info but have the location sorted and it is always nice to have things to discover when going somewhere new...
FollowupID: 627486

Reply By: Bluemetaldaisy - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:49

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:49
Smokee
I know you'll definitely enjoy yourself! We're planning to go to Ferndale Park next week, poss. Monday arvo or Tues morning until Thursday lunchtime depending on the weather. If the BOM says rain, we'll pull the pin on the idea. Otherwise we'll be there.
AnswerID: 359676

Sponsored Links