Camping around Mudgee

Submitted: Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:09
ThreadID: 67805 Views:8055 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Planning a trip for in a month or so,(after Barrington Tops, break out in a sweat if I don't have a couple of trips in the planning) have looked at the archived stuff on camping around Mudgee, but was wondering if anyone has anything to say about Burrendong Lake?
Any other suggestions appreciated, have been to Windemere and Turon, won't go to Newnes, like so many places, not what it used to be...is the pub in the river yet?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:13

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:13
Goulburn River National Park was nice. Turn off at Wollar and there was good clear camping, but take your own wood.
AnswerID: 359429

Follow Up By: Smokee - Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:33

Monday, Apr 13, 2009 at 22:33
Thanks for that John, have had a look on the decc website, can I ask, did you camp at Big River or Spring Gully? How far up Mogo Road do you reckon?
FollowupID: 627410

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:22

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 14:22
Smokee, had a look at both and camped at Big River. The suggestion is 20kms and I guess that was about right. Low caravans as distinct to Karavans wouldn't like the water diversions a lot though ;-))
FollowupID: 627453

Reply By: Fiona & Paul - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:35

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:35
Lake Burrendong is great although the water levels arearound 20% at the moment with the full range of powered, unpowerd sites. You can elect to camp in many areas around the dam with good hot water showers.

At the other end ot eh dam is Mookerawa, you get there by going through Stuart Town.

Lake Windermere is OK and the water is up around 25% now, some good fishing, as there is at Burrendong.

Haven't stayed at Turon as we haven't checked it out properly, itmay be a bit pricey, but I am unsure about that.

Our intention is to have a look at Newnes to check it out directly as sometimes misinformation gets around, I've been a bit slow off the blocks with that one.

A place called Windeyer is about 40km out of Mudgee towards Bathurst is quiet with a pub next door and plenty of room for the kids to play around, if you have them, but there is no mobile communications. Ownership has reverted back to previous owner and I cannot sy what his attitude is either.

There are photos in places.

Paul & Fi
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359445

Follow Up By: Smokee - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:01

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:01
Thanks for the info, haven't been to Newnes in years but has some great walks up in the surrounding hills with remains of the old settlement, used to pack out and amentities were basic, it may have changed.
If your're talking about Turon Gates, that's a nice spot, camping along the creek, kids loved the horses wandering about etc.
FollowupID: 627477

Reply By: matske - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:06

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:06
i been to windeyer get it in to ya!
my family own property near the windeyer pub. not much to do out there but goto the pub and maybe go down the river for a gold pan try ya luck
AnswerID: 359469

Reply By: bockstar1 - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:59

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:59
Turon River National Park has 2 designated campspots; The Diggings and Woolshed Flat. The Diggings has a pit toilet, Woolshed Flat doesn't. Between the 2, The Diggings is the pick. A large area that would support many people and right on the River

You access it from Lochaber Rd, just north of Capertee. At about 1 km into the park proper, there's a Y junction. Take the right fork. This decends into the valley. There's a couple of creek crossings.

I'd advise against a 2WD takling this track. A softroader could do it with care. For a legit 4WD in high range, it would be fine.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 359492

Follow Up By: Smokee - Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:04

Tuesday, Apr 14, 2009 at 18:04
Thanks, have heard the road in is a bit rough, not sure which of our vehicles we'd take on this trip so will bear your advice in mind.
FollowupID: 627480

Sponsored Links