Rubbish

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:52
ThreadID: 67867 Views:2229 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Would every one who visits Rudall River Nat Pk please take your rubbish home with you. Its a very remote park and so nice to be able to access a park with no facilities and enjoy the peacefull ness, but when hiking into Desert Queen Baths and there are empty beer bottles and cans laying around it kind of spoils it. If you carry it in carry it out, reember take photos and leave ONLY footprints.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:57

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 12:57
Maybe you can send an email to Telfer Mine management because that is most likely where the rubbish is coming from. When we were there in 2005 someone has shot a Dingo and had strung it up in a tree at the campsite to rot. It went off like a rocket in the sun!!
AnswerID: 359665

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:39

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 15:39
highly unlikely - how would they get there?
FollowupID: 627645

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:06

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:06
Davoe, look at your map. Telfer to DQB just a short distance. Maybe my wording could have been better but I was alluding to local miners visiting the place on a regular basis including Exploration mobs in the area. But Mick O below reckons it could be a Kal mob of drinkers. So there you go
FollowupID: 627657

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:15

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:15
it may be a short distance but it may as well be 2000km away
there is no way to get there for the people of telfer - vehicles arnt made available for general use. Also there is no time to get there. Most of telfer staff do an 8/6 roster leaving no time to get out there after a 12 hour shift. some of the contracters do get a 24 hour break but as said there are no vehicles available to get out there

- trust me if it was do - able i would have done it
FollowupID: 627662

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:21

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 17:21
OK I take your point.
FollowupID: 627664

Follow Up By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 18:48
There are a lot of exploration outfits doing geophys and rock doctoring in the area. We ran into one such mob at the top water pump at Rudall last year who had taken the bore over and disconeccted the handpump. Barrack Gold are still in the area somewhere. A lot of work coming out of Nifty, Telfor and the Uranium mob. All of these mobs have plenty of freedom to look about the area when they're not out on a line somewhere. The guys at Nifty used to have functions at the4 Coolbro creek that ofgten they built a stone BBQ and tressel table there lol. I'd say the Kal boys would more than likely contributed.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 627687

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:26

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:26
When my daughter was in Telfer a few years back she went out for trips on their rostered days off, her company allocated her with a landcruiser to go, she would take her friends with her and they would have a lovely time going over Gorges. I don't think it was Rudall that they went to though.

Before anyone jumps the gun, she would be the last person to dirty the landscape out there and certainly would not let her friends do it either.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 627712

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 00:40

Thursday, Apr 16, 2009 at 00:40
Dunworkin - wasnt the case when i was there but good on her i would have loved the oportunity
FollowupID: 627730

Reply By: Member - Mick O (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:46

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 13:46
We found a hell of a lot of rubbish in the park on the last two years particularly along the main track where the locals had camped the night while travelling between communities.

We came across a big group (white fellas) from Kalgoorlie at DQB last year who go on a 4x4 drinkfest each year (they had a very noisy 5KVA generator to run the 15 car fridges). Most of them (20 blokes or so in 11 vehicles) staggered up the gorge over a two day period. I'm told they left a lot of rubbish behind them at the campsite also.

I'm with you GU4. To good a place to let get buried in rubbish.

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 359675

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:30

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 19:30
Image Could Not Be FoundG'day Mick ~ Willem and all adventurers.

Yes it is a blight that just can't be ignored, especially when it comes to remote areas, such as the Western Deserts including the Rudall River region.

Sadly, the various mining operations with their associated exploration drillers, geologists and mine workers etc do access these waterholes on their rostered days off, where some of them just ~ cut loose ~ and to an extent they don't give a rats because the place is remote enough for them not to be sprung ~ cutting loose ~ and leaving their garbage behind.

What's more of a bastard is that the ones "at one with the land" can and do, on a very regular basis trash pristine waterholes on their way back to their dry community !!!!Image Could Not Be Found

I am sorry, if my words and images offend the people who believe otherwise but good people can and at times do some increadibly objectionable things ~ when they are in remote places.

FollowupID: 627697

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:27

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 20:27
It always astounds me that people will go to great lengths to get to these places, carry in a heap of stuff without a thought but will not cart their empties out with them. On many a trip I've played garbo and cleaned up after these imbeciles.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 359728

Reply By: ctaplin - Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:48

Wednesday, Apr 15, 2009 at 21:48
Even here in Gove, NT we always comeback from camping trips with more of other peoples rubbish than our own. We have cleaned up several areas completely only to have the rubbish just as bad the following week.
When in an area with mining, you seem to have hopefully a small proportion of highly paid morons that throw their cans & bottles into the bush that think that is okay, even alongside pristine streams.
The people that do this have no place in the bush and don't belong there!!!
AnswerID: 359742

Reply By: Nic I - Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:44

Friday, Apr 17, 2009 at 13:44
I wrote a post here a few years ago, lamenting that places which were more difficult to get to often seemed to be treated the worst by some visitors, with rubbish and human excreta commonly left in plain view.

The places I wrote then about were within 500km of Sydney; since then I've found the same situations at most locations only accessible by 4WD, whilst those easier to get to are often left cleaner.

It's very sad to hear that this abysmal behaviour is inflicted on really remote spots like Rudall River, and makes one wonder whether the point above is correct - that people feel more free to rubbish places where they're not likely to be seen/caught.
AnswerID: 359984

Sponsored Links