re Camping in SA

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 10:47
ThreadID: 67965 Views:1867 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Thankyou everyone for your ideas and suggestions.
We actually have a porta-potti for those middle-of- night times, but need a toilet at others?
We have travelled throught Aus quite a lot, but now it is time to see this state & what it has.
Thanks again!
Nari
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 14:38

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 14:38
Hi Nari,

If you have a porta-potti then that is all you need for comfort.
When a porta-potti is used with the correct chemicals to assist solids breakdown, it can be used anytime during the day by enclosing it in a collapsible toilet/shower tent.

Depending on the capacity, you should get two to three days use for two of you, before the holding tank needs empying.

The chemicals that are normally sold with the porta-potti are OK, but not all that environmentally friendly. The green stuff contains formaldehyde.

A better product is something like Biomagic. a small amount is added to both the flushing tank and the holding tank, with about 50mm added to each. This produces an oxygen enriched environment which speeds up decomposition and eliminates odour.

Comments on this forum have indicated that Napysan does a similar job, but I cannot vouch for this. Biomagic comes in a 1 litre container with a built-in measuring reservor so no undue wastage occurs and this suits our needs.

When the holding tank is full and you are "out bush" you can safely dig a hole and bury the contents, ensuring it is well covered over with dirt. There is no "nasties" to harm the environment and the waste will soon decompose, leaving behind no harmful residues or chemicals.

Happy Camping!

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360157

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 14:44

Saturday, Apr 18, 2009 at 14:44
SandMan and Nari,

Woolworths Home Branded nappy powder actually has more of the same active constituent in it than BioMagic and works better and is vastly cheaper. Sodium Percarbonate I believe.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 628028

Reply By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:32

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:32
Gave the Napi woolies treatment a workout over Easter.Very pleased indeed-did what's reqd and as I am the one to do the disposal bit I was pleasantly surprised by the nice clean nappy smell.
Best i've tried so far,
Cheers,
mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 360599

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:46

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:46
Would like to try this.
What amount do you put in a 20 litre holding tank.
Presumably you mix it with water and pour it in.
A post above says add 50mm?????????? thats 2 inches in old language.

Also is it Napisan type or Wool softner as bot are mentioned.
We have another b rand of Napisan which states it is the Sodium Percarbonate but thought I should check as softner will be different stuff I guess.

AnswerID: 360601

Follow Up By: Member - Mary W NW VIC - Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:55

Thursday, Apr 23, 2009 at 18:55
If you do a search Graham you will find lots of info.I use a normal porta potti and charge at the rate of 1cap ofNapi to a litre of warm water.Don't have any info on large holding tanks as usually empty every2-3 days.
Have tried lots of stuff -
Tablets
the cloudyamomia/disinfectant/borax bit
Found the napisan bit great as I am the person who has to do the job of disposal a fresh nappy smelling whiff is much more pleasant than some of my former experiences,
Cheers,
Mary
"Some people walk in the rain,others just get wet."

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 628852

Sponsored Links