Prado with no log books

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 02:01
ThreadID: 67994 Views:2498 Replies:11 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Purchasing a 04 T/D Prado GXL, it looks like its in immaculate condition and never been off road. Has no bull bar or any other accesories though. Has done 77,000kms but it has no service history or log books. Seller has only owned it since january and he says he brought it from a mate over east as the plates and rego has been changed since new. Have had a family friend look it over as im 2500kms away and he says is drives very nice no smoke or rust or oil leaks. Suspension is good, interior very clean and in very well looked after state. Will be getting REVS check on Monday. Offered him $31,00 and he has accepted, just waiting on the word from the bank. Have put down a deposit too, as i have been waiting ages for a GXL Manual Turbo diesel for this price with under 90,000k's. Surely you if you brought a Prado you would keep its service history and log books, but doing only 77,000k's you would think it hasnt really had a hard life as its nearly 5 years old. Only averaging say 16,000kms a year. Its grey in colour so doubting it could of ever been a mining car, or anything flogged out like that. It does have 4 screw holes in the centre console though that indicates it could of had a UHF or Electric brake controller maybe.

What do ya's reckon, surely it couldnt be flogged out if its in such good condition and has no aftermarket accessories. Im just a bit worries about it having no proof of servicing and such. And the price , so low.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:21

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:21
Kroozer,
Why not ask the guy who is selling about the history of the vehicle in terms of its use etc. Or better still Id ask him if he would be happy to supply you with his mates phone number (the person he bought it off in January) so that you can talk with the original (probably from new) owner. If there is nothing to hide he should be happy for you to talk to him. Its a reasonable request I always ask private sellers - why are you selling, what form of use has vehicle had (eg long distance or city driving, has it been off road, has it been on the beach etc etc). If current seller has only owned it for a short time - ask why is he selling so soon after buying it. You generally can get a feel for a person telling the truth by talking to them direct and asking the right questions.
For example - I wonder if its been on the beach and got sprayed with salt water so he is selling cheap to get rid of it before any evidence shows. Just a thought. But it is a hard market to sell at the moment - especially private sales in that price range.
Anyway good luck, hope it works out to be as good as it now seems,
Cheers
GPM
AnswerID: 360275

Follow Up By: Saharaman (aka Geepeem) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:13

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:13
Just like this one (maybe):

Image Could Not Be Found

FollowupID: 628118

Reply By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:31

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:31
Kroozer - Yes be very careful, at that age an Ks it should have a full service history and you would have to wonder why it has not. You need to do a full interstate owner check if possible. I got bitten with a landcruiser brought in Qld with the same Ks on the clock. When I did the search it showed that someone had brought it to Qld and then sold it to a car yard - no service history but it had only done 70k. The car yard had made it look like new - turned out both diffs were shot and the springs started rusting out in no time. My guess it was owned by a mine or Council in WA and someone had bogged it in salt mud somewhere. I rebuilt the rear diff twice so something was way wrong. I had to replace the diff before I sold it on.

For piece of mind get it checked out in great detail, sometimes they can not get to the salt on top of the gear box :-).

But hey it may be a good buy! They are rare though. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 360278

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:45

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:45
what ya do is stick a finger into the holes in the chasis rails and see how much crud is filling the chasis then taste the dust - if it tastes salty - its an ex goldfields vehicle - no way to hide it
FollowupID: 628237

Reply By: Travelling Pixie - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:45

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 07:45
i was looking at a car to buy a few weeks ago. it was advertised as about 60,000 k's and the dealer made a point of low k's. Then when I looked at the log books I saw that it had a new odometer at 50,000 so it was now over 100,000

I asked the dealer why he advertised it as 60,000 and he just said that they hadd to use what was on the odometer. He wasn't going to offer up the information on his own though

Point is, that even cars a few years old can get new odometers an the only record is in the log books - big sticker on the inside front cover. Your transport authority may have a record of any changes like this.
AnswerID: 360282

Follow Up By: Member - Tony B (Malanda FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:25

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 11:25
He has committed Fraud. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 628130

Reply By: happytravelers - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:10

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:10
If it's come from the eastern states, especially qld. Make sure it hasn't been for a swim. Huge numbers of vehicles have been underwater in all the floods we've had over here in recent months. A lot of them end up at the auctions where a lot of people buy them looking to make a quick dollar by getting them going and selling them on. Problems won't show up until later. I would be very wary of buying any car privately that had come from qld. and I didn't know it's history.
Just something to consider.
Regards Jon
AnswerID: 360286

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:45

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 08:45
Hi Kroozer,

Toyota might be of some assistance if you give them the VIN number. When I had mine serviced in Katherine, the dealer seemed to have it in their system.

One thing to be careful of is that prior to the D4D motor, diesels required an oil change every 5000km.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 360290

Reply By: Best Off Road - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:23

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:23
No service history.

Change of rego.

Taken from one side of the country to the other.

Current owner has only had it three months.

I'd take advice from Kenny Rogers on this one; "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em"

Good luck,

Jim.

AnswerID: 360297

Reply By: Axel [ the real one ] - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:37

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:37
" interior very clean and looked after " ,,,, ever hear of car detailers ? you pays your money and Joe Bloggs thinks the vehicle has had an easy life because its "clean" ,,,,,,
AnswerID: 360298

Reply By: GoneTroppo Member (FNQ) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:41

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:41
If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
AnswerID: 360299

Follow Up By: DIO - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:51

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 09:51
...don't overlook the fact that it may be a re-birthed vehicle consisting of stolen bits and pieces. If person selling same can't provide you with name and address of the previous owner then it's dodgy in my opinion.
FollowupID: 628122

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:19

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 14:19
Have a look under the dashboard for any signs of mud.
Almost impossible to clean under there if it has been in a flood.
Guaranteed lots of electrical problems if that's the case.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 360339

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:30

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 22:30
Personally I wouldnt touch it with out books, interstate, no books, only had it 3 months mmm Id be walking. Heaps of prados around with perfect history. Not only that you will be in the same position if you wanted to sell it. Your choice in the end but sounds suss to me.......WG
AnswerID: 360450

Reply By: PradOz - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:19

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:19
when i got my prado it also had no books but was in exceptional condition. but my prado was a toyota own company vehicle (not a demonstrator). the books were misplaced as it had been used by a couple different country dealerships and last one here in sydney never received the books.

one thing i have since found out is that dealers can tell that its a toyota own vehicle from the vehicle numbers (Vin etc). i found this out when i once went into another brand dealer for an idea on a trade in price. he asked me how, when etc i got hold of a toyota company vehicle, and explained they can tell from the numbers. so i would think if this guy who was not at a toyota dealership could tell, it maybe worth your while driving your one in to a reputable dealer and ask them if it is a similar type vehicle. that would explain the lost books. they still get serviced etc (mine had several different dealerships service stickers on the windscreen so i could see where it had been) and i also had remainder of warranty despite no books.
AnswerID: 360460

Follow Up By: PradOz - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:26

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 00:26
yes there may be a sinister reasons for him selling it as some have suggested, but what if the guy who bought the prado in january may have got a great deal too good to pass up from his mate so he bought it at a whim thinking great car, great deal, knew the original owner etc, and maybe now he has financial problems and needs to sell it. who knows what his reasons are, i would ask him some questions before buying it and doing some research, and a full car check with revs, mechanical etc etc. if it passes all your checks and you are happy then go for it
FollowupID: 628235

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:40

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 13:40
Yeah im just going to take a risk and have gone for it. Money should exchange hands in 48 hours. Will do what you say though, i will be taking it straight into Toyota and will have them go right over it to check everything and change all oils and filters straight away. Plus might do the radiator and fluids at the same time. Its just that i have been waiting so long for a Prado for this price and i dont wanna miss it. still i know have to look for a bullbar for it. Might go the Toyota Souvereign bar i think. Less weight and i reckon they look better.
FollowupID: 628315

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)