Where to camp on the Murray

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:13
ThreadID: 68011 Views:3114 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Thought I’d chuck this question out there just in case someone knows something that could help.

My wife and I, and our 2 young children, will be heading to Barmera SA soon to meet up with friends (the Friday of the Mothers Day weekend). We will be leaving on the Sunday prior and wanted to spend 4 days bush camping on the Murray somewhere. We will be fully self sufficient, but were hoping to find somewhere not too crowded and with easy access to launch/retrieve my fishing kayak to both go fishing and sightseeing with one of the girls on the back.

Does anyone have any ideas where we could go, especially somewhere where the water would be deeper than knee deep so that the fishing might be a bit more reliable (I want to troll for Yellowbelly and Cod – catch and release of course) Some reasonable scenery woud be nice too, not worried about a beach for swimming, only that it’s got reasonably easy access for the kayak.

I’ve seen a lot of the national parks/game reserve campsites that would require me to launch away from the campsite due to being a long drop down to the water. I’d like to try and avoid this if possible.

Also, if somebody has contacts for private land owners who allow camping for a fee on their property, and the location suits, we would love you to pass on the contact details.

Also open to any info on catching the above mentioned species, particularly what lures would be working at that time of year and what areas seem to be producing at the moment.

Hoping someone can help.

Cheers

Damien
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: nari - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:59

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 15:59
We love to camp in the Chowilla GR: go bout twenty min north of Renmark (?), turn rt into ( Ral Ral rd (?) -old Wentworth rd), becomes dirt. Along bout half hour.
Sites are good in there, by backwaters, good access to water, nice & not too busy. We stayed there often, used to canoe, is quiet, shady & good walks. Maybe take some wood -like all places fairly picked over.
Also there is Calperum Station nr there-we have not camped in there, but someone said its ok (& theres a toilet)

Regards
Nari & John
AnswerID: 360353

Reply By: Notso - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:14

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 16:14
Bottle Bend near Buronga, (across the river in NSW from Mildurai) Last time I was there it was reasonably deep.

S34 18 12.0 E142 17 55.0
AnswerID: 360357

Reply By: Inkbandit79 - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:43

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 17:43
D jack, my brother came back from the murray on Thursday and his reports were not good, although he went further upstrem than you plan. He towed his boat 3.5 hours to one of our regular fishing spots and didn't even launch it due to the lack of water. but on the lure side of things try spinner baits with a soft plastic on the hook when the river is this low you will have to use them because they are harder to snag and the diving minnows will only drag in the mud, color is up to you. when trolling or casting look for deep holes as this is were the cod will hold up, oh and it must have snags in it. a usefull website that i found for keeping an eye one the river was www.riverrises.com.au. It tells you the levels at each lock, keep an eye on it before you go because if its still dropping you might as well leave the fishing gear and canoe at home, hope this helps
AnswerID: 360378

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:55

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 08:55
Hi Inkbandit 79
Are you sure about your web site?? I have tries to get to this bit it is a broken link and will not open

www.riverrises.com.au.

Are you able to post the correct site please, as I would like to check it out.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 628271

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:00

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 20:00
Sorry guy's wrong site, my bad, the one that i used to use is riverland.net.au they even have there own forum, I used to use it when i lived in Melb but know im in Perth the drive is a bit much for a weekend on the river
FollowupID: 628368

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:37

Sunday, Apr 19, 2009 at 19:37
Hi Damien
We have just returned last week from another enjoyable 10 days in the Great Riverland. The only thing that will not be guaranteed will be the fishing, but people were still catching fish, even if it was only Carp to feed the Pelicans. The Backwaters and River around Barmera through to past lock 6 have reasonable pool levels, but with no water flow. The list of places to stay and camp is endless in those parts of the Riverland, and you will be in kayak heaven. We always take ours and during the last 10 days we had some very long paddles and clocked up over 80 kilometres of water travels including a great 23 kilometre paddle with OE Member Des Lexic from Berri and EO lurker, Graham and his daughter Michelle from Adelaide.
Here are just a few places where you can go bush camping and have an absolute ball and have the River to yourself:-

Loch Luna Game Reserve
Katarapko Murray River National Park
Lyrup Flats Murray River National Park
Calperum Station North of Renmark
Chowilla Game Reserve North of Renmark

If you have never been kayaking in the Riverland, you will make it a very regular place, just as we do. Enjoy the Riverland and looking forward to hearing of your report.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 360405

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 17:13

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 17:13
Hi Stephen, thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a great time. I may be wrong but it looks to me like the person wearing the purple PFD in the last picture has their paddle back to front!
FollowupID: 629849

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 19:07

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 19:07
Hi D-Jack
That person is non other than the famous member from Berri - Dasher Des, or Des Lexic. You will have to ash him that question..

Cheers
Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 629866

Reply By: Grass Parrot - Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:52

Monday, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:52
Try Neds Corner about 50 km from Renmark on Road to Mildura. Deep water. Sand bar to launch kayak. Now Easter is over there will hardly be anyone there. Mate of mine caught 5 callop there middle of last week.
AnswerID: 360496

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:15

Tuesday, Apr 21, 2009 at 22:15
Thanks for all the replies - very useful. We're leaning toward Neds Corner after hearing some great reports of the area.
AnswerID: 360782

Sponsored Links