cooking with (lpg) gas

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:06
ThreadID: 6810 Views:4334 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi - I've heard that it's unsafe to cook with lpg, but I'm not sure why this would be. LPG is just a mix of butane and propane and I think cooking gas is butane or propane. Has anyone else heard this and is the danger due to an explosive risk or because lpg is toxic to food (e.g. maybe they add something to lpg so you can smell it better?) The reason I ask is that lpg is a lot cheaper than bbq gas!

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Grinner - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:42

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:42
I'm no expert on gas, but what I've heard is that BBQ gas is more pure that LPG. LPG may at some times have other additives (or be less refined) and can nasties that would not be good to cook with.
This is not an informed response, just what I've heard.

Grinner
AnswerID: 29022

Reply By: Stevo - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:57

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 13:57
Liquid butane and propane do not mix and after some time the liquids separate and form two distinct layers. There is a small but very real risk that when the flame has consumed one of the liquids (not sure which is the lighter of the two) and commences consuming the other liquid it may extinguish itself.
AnswerID: 29032

Reply By: matt - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:39

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 14:39
Try a duel fuel stove we have one and itis brilliant. We have run out of fuel many a time and just drain the cars fuel tank and off you go again
AnswerID: 29035

Reply By: duncs - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:04

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:04
Pathfinder,

When You say LPG I assume you mean the type used to fuel cars.

As far as I know there is no technical reason why you shouldn't use LPG. I know a guy who has been doing it for years.

He still has some hair and his teeth are all in place.

Auto LPG is much cheaoer than what you buy to run the BAR-B and the fuel companies would rather make the big profit.

If you have a way of getting LPG into your stove I'd say go for it.

Duncs
AnswerID: 29048

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:47

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 16:47
Use it at home in the kitchen, BBQ and in the camper no problem - also used ot use it in our heater when we were living in New Zealand (don't need heaters like that in QLD). BUT remember that Carbon Monoxide is produced as one of the by products so you need adeqate ventilation
AnswerID: 29054

Reply By: howesy - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:41

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 18:41
Its all about the bi-products produced when the gas is burnt thats why BBQ bottles etc are straight propane. Out in the country it is uneconomical to send two trucks and you will find a lot of places have the same fill for the BBQ as for the auto tanks. Ever noticed the car runs different on LPG in the stix.
AnswerID: 29083

Reply By: Fred - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:55

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 19:55
BBQs and cars run on LPG. LPG stands for Liquid Petroleum Gas. Cost difference is marketing only - could be likened to buying a trailer full of firewood compared to a bag of firewood at a servo. One servo actually had an adaptor and filled my BBQ bottle from the car pump. Pump showed less than half the Bottle price but they still wanted the normal bottle price!! Worked fine by the way.
AnswerID: 29089

Reply By: diamond (bendigo) - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:25

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:25
gday pathfinder.
friend of mine used to be mantainance man for caravan park had an adapter made up to fill the big gas bottles that on site vans use go to local servo(this guy didnt mind) and fill with lpg.shouldnt be a problem—~‘¬‘¥•s’B
AnswerID: 29102

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:18

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 12:18
Hi Pathfinder.
Most service stations (especially in the city) sell auto mix for cars which is a blend of (depending on different outlets) 60% butane and40% propane. BBQ gas is 100% propane which burns with a clean hot bright flame. Auto mix will still burn but the flame will not be as hot and bright and will sometimes have a slight smokey tip on the flame especiall when the Propane on the top half of the bottle has gone. Propane is about 750kpa pressure . Auto mix or blend is about 500kpa pressure and Butane is about 200kpa pressure. Butane is heavier than Propane. You can still burn 100% butane but the jets and regulators have to be changed, which would not be viable for cooking. Large industries like abbatoirs and smelters that dont have access to natural gas run 100% butane for their boilers b
ecause it is a refinery byproduct and not a big market for it so it is cheaper. LPG in its natural and refined state has no smell to it so an odurant called mercaptin is added in a minute quanity so it can be smelt should a leak occure. Unodorised LPG is also used as a propelant for most pressure pack cans found on the super market shelves. 1 litre of liquid = 270 litres of vapour which is what burns.
AnswerID: 29177

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 13:54

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 13:54
Thanks very much Geoff/Karen - that is exactly the sort of information I'm looking for. I can wear the reduced performance of lpg vs straight propane, but is 'mercaptin' likely to be sufficiently toxic in the quantities it occurs in lpg to make lpg unsafe to use for cooking?
FollowupID: 20325

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 13:59

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 13:59
actually just searched net and mercaptin is apparently highly toxic and affects nervous system. However, presumably mercaptin or a similar product is also added to cooking propane to give it an odour so lpg wouldn't be any less safe than bbq gas?
FollowupID: 20326

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 15:47

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 15:47
Mercaptant would probably have to be in it's pure form to do any harm and is added to all as natural gas has no odour. It's only sulphur anyways I believe
FollowupID: 20337

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:05

Tuesday, Aug 26, 2003 at 14:05
Pathfinder if you need any more info give us a yell. Gas and LPG is actually our business. We have atransport company and that is all we cart is gas from Melbourne to Sydney, 7 days a week. So obviously Geoff is the man with all the answers for you.Kind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 29187

Sponsored Links