Ultimate Camper Trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:13
ThreadID: 68192 Views:5184 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Interested in thoughts about the Ultimate Camper trailers. Initially I was against the idea due to the kitchen being inside but having just returned from desert trip I know what eating inside is a good options (i.e away from flies/mozzies).

My issue is about storage of items that normally go in my Tambo Camper (excellent unit but considering upgrade to Ultimate in future). Is the nose cone sufficient for storage of other camping equipment?

Also interested in thoughts from anyone that has an Ultimate about set up/down times given you have to make the bed every time.

Any thoughts or comments will be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:56

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 14:56
Adey

We’ve had our ultimate for about 18 months now. Internal kitchen was partly why we wanted it. Great when it’s raining, cold, windy, ground saturated or when you stop late at night etc – we’ve experienced all these conditions in our travels.

We have also set up a cooker in gas cupboard (accessed outside) and everything else is available in adjacent external locker or in rear of 4wd. So we can live in or out conveniently.

Bed side of things actually not too bad to set up at all. Company has obviously put some thought into it. Mattresses come with fitted sheets. So you just throw the 3 of them in position and throw doona over (stored in doona bag when you’re travelling).

Never timed it, but I reckon we set up in 10-15 minutes including levelling. No way as quick to set up as Kimberleys etc but depends what you’re looking for in a camper. Don’t know pack up time – for us it relates to how long we’ve camped in a place.

Big thing for me is 4wdriveability. It’s lighter than most of the comparable units (850kg dry). Has very good ramp over / rear departure angle – who else even quote those figures for campers?? Has serious suspension (Koni shocks / Lovell springs) / heavy chassis.

Electrics underdone compared to say top end Aussie Swag. But we’ve been working on that and up to that level now (frankly you have to if you opt for compressor fridge).

Big boot is great. We’ve had full annex, various awnings, generator, tools, chairs, buackets, cables, poles, table, cooking stuff, 4 jerry cans, etc in there. If you want to provide your email I’ll send you a photo link of boot half packed etc and some of our improvements. One limitation though is good clothes storage place – if you’re a 4wdriver you won’t mind too much though i.e. used to living out of a bag.

We found company really quite good when we visited them for some adjustments etc last December. Because we bought ours 2nd hand we didn’t know them beforehand. What else…..not cheap…... but they seem to hold their price well.

Good luck in your decision.
AnswerID: 361446

Follow Up By: Adey - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:32

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:32
Thanks for comments. Photos would be great if it is not too much trouble: kwhite@netspace.net.au.

Thanks again
FollowupID: 629243

Reply By: Member - Marco T (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:01

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:01
Adey,

I am also looking at the Ultimate. I was not even considering it untill recently. I also had a real concern about the kitchen inside. I spoke to Ultimate about possibly removing the kitchen and replacing with couch or similar - not on their adjenda.
The more I think about it the more I realy like it.

The real clincher for us is the king size bed. My wife loves it.

Marco
AnswerID: 361448

Follow Up By: png62 - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:37

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 15:37
We have had our Ulti for 6mths, previously had a Campomatic. I had discounted the Ulti as an option until I took SWAMBO to the 4WD & Camping show in Melb. I didn't even want to look at it as I was convinced of the speedy set up of flip-over style campers and I often set up in the dark or inclement weather, "She" said "lets look, we have nothing to lose while we are here". We both decided the list of features that the Ulti had, along with the internal space set it apart from the others and it suits our needs to a "T". As above, the indoor arrangement is brilliant. Nothing like cooking ,eating or reading indoors when the weather is less than agreeable ie; too cold, too wet, too dark, too many flies/mozzies/midges using you as food or moths getting in your food when cooking outdoors.
I find the internal lounge really comfortable. We decided against the cd/dvd player and tv setup as we prefer a game of scrabble accompanied by chocolate and port or simply reading whilst listening to the sounds of "the bush".
I haven't bothered timing the setup or pack up times as it really seems irrelevant when you consider how comfortable the beast is. Storage is no hassle, more than enough room in the nose cone and roof rack. Annexe options are great too.
Cheers
John
FollowupID: 629191

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:04

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 19:04
Right now we are at Burra caravan park
The rain is pelting down and the wind is howling.
We are listening to the footy on the in built radio and the camper is not flapping about like a gallion with full sail in a gale.
We have had ours for seven years and could not be happier.
Stan
PS. home cooked chinese for dinner
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361516

Follow Up By: Chev-Patrol 6.5 V8 D - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:21

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:21
G'day Stan,

Glad you got as far as Burra...... if you find yourself another 140klm to the west, you'll be on our doorstep and will be welcomed.

Now, to the question.....

We've had our Ultimate since February 1999 and have taken it to Cape York twice and across the Simpson. Numerous other trips as well. We've just returned from a 2 week trip to Ulladulla to see my wife's oldies and managed to squeeze in a little trip with friends from Goulburn who also own an Ultimate and tow it with a Chev 6.5 Nissan Patrol. We went down into the Deua NP. I'd forgotton just how steep those damned hills are down that way. We went back out via the western route (Dampier Fire Trail) and managed to get around the tight corner without having to resort to a 3 point turn.

Set-up and pack-up times can be as low as 5 minutes, depending on how much gear you have taken out during your camping. The actual pack-up of the camper itself would be less than 5 minutes once you are adept at the process.

Storage is ample. We are a family of 5 (3 sons aged 13, 11 & 8) and carry swags for the lads on the top of the camper. This all adds to the time it takes to pack-up and unpack, but it's not "fair" to add the time taken to load such extra items to the Ultimate's times.... hahahaha

Ours is an older version so has the VW style boot lid. Latter versions have gullwing openings on each side of the boot. There are plusses and minuses for both types.

There is quite a lot of space in the outer compartments as well as under the seats and in the wheel arch area under the galley's drawers.

If you already have a large amount of camping gear such as fridge and stove etc, then perhaps the new "Xtrak" could be for you. It is quite a bit less costly than the full-blown Ultimate, but doesn't have a fridge, built-in stove etc.

We called in at the factory a week or so ago and I was tempted to upgrade to a newer model, but then thought better of it. So I just bought an upgraded set of door locking mechanisms and we will continue to enjoy the great outdoors with our Ultimate.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 629261

Follow Up By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 20:18

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 20:18
Hi Roachie
You mentioned going to NSW east coast for Easter. We called at your place x 2.
We stayed at Walleroo and came up for the day.
I think we must have missed each other in the wind.
regards
Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 629463

Reply By: Peter McG (Member, Melbourne) - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:37

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 20:37
Evening Adey

The other guys have given you a good summary of the benefits of the Ultimates. We are also very happy with ours. It's one of the early ones. We have number 10. It was built in 1996 and we have had it since 2001. Its been up the Cape, across the Simpson, down the CSR for a bit, out to the Pilbara and up many very steep tracks in the Vic High Country.

Cheers

Peter
Peter
VKS Mobile 1906

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 361537

Reply By: Sevro - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:00

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:00
My question is, I'm travelling to the Alice in June July and I have no sides or fly mesh on my camper (po boy's version) will the flies, bugs etc. drive us crazy.

Thanks
AnswerID: 361543

Follow Up By: Adey - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:14

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:14
Flys/bugs/mozzies were no problem for us when we were in Central Australia last year in Jun/July. We had two campers and never required side walls or even the awning to be erected. Nights were very cold (take jumpers/jackets) but days were very mild (shorts/T-Shirts).
FollowupID: 629279

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:20

Saturday, Apr 25, 2009 at 21:20
I have a KK but am always on the lookout for something better ( if there is such a thing lol )

Can you have an innerspring mattress in the Ultimate ??
Can you adapt an outside gas stove to it ??
AnswerID: 361545

Follow Up By: Adey - Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:33

Sunday, Apr 26, 2009 at 19:33
No innerspring mattress but you can rig up external BBQ cooker.
FollowupID: 629452

Sponsored Links