What's this Landcruiser gadget

Submitted: Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 18:56
ThreadID: 68288 Views:3083 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Years ago, about 1992, I did a trip. For a little while, I was in the passenger seat of a guy with an 80 series (a Sahara I think).

In the middle of the roof beside the windscreen, the 80 series has normally got the sub tank gauge and an alti metre, but this one had something different.

It had some sort of digital screen, with green writing, dots etc all over it.

I’ve never seen this gadget since, does anyone have any idea what this would have been, would it have been a standard fixed GPS or something else? Has anyone seen the gadget I'm talking about?

Is it something that comes with the imports, an option that nobody wanted, something that was only available for a few months, what?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 19:19

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 19:19
Possibly was a Jap import which come with all sorts of stuff which usually only works in Japan.
Without a name from it a bit hard to tell
Like Fujisu Ten or similar
A lot of these types of things turn up on cars in NZ as a lot are imports.
Like TV Sat Nav etc that dont work any more.
What language was the writing and if English what did it say.

AnswerID: 361919

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 19:29

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 19:29
I'm not sure of the writing it had, it was that long ago.

I'm 99% sure that the physical frame around it all was the same as a normal sub tank guage and alti metre, so it was the same size as that.

I remember it a little bit. I think it had green circles (circles about the width of a pencil,) lines I think, dots I think and I'm 75% sure it had writing, letter or numbers or both, I don't know, for all I know, it could have been Japanese writing.

I think any writing that was there, it was quite small.
FollowupID: 629679

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:04

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 20:04
Some of them have compasses and inclinometers in the ones Ive seen. That is to tell you when you are about to go upside down.

Cheers

FollowupID: 629696

Follow Up By: dublediff - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:06

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:06
Depends on what you were smokin' at the time.....
FollowupID: 629733

Follow Up By: bucky00 - Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:44

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 22:44
Well I'll say it like this.

I wouldn't even know how you get dope or drugs, if I were to get it, someone would have to teach me what to do and I've never been the slightest bit tempted, I wouldn't want to, I couldn't even tell what's marijuana and what's tobacco.

I've never had a puff of a cigarette in my life and I never will.

I only have a few light beers per year, I don't want to feel drowsy and nauseous, I want to feel fine.

I remember everyone in the car at the time was discussing this with him.

He was on a Goulburn River crossing just south of Jamieson Victoria having a play going from one side to the other with it nearly to the bonnet and some jumped in a passenger seats, including myself (Bains Bridge for those who know the crossing I mean, beside Jamieson Woods Point Rd).

I've got a photo of him crossing this (an old style photo, not digital)

Around 1994, 1995, this photo of the red 80 series Sahara crossing the Goulburn was used for a four wheel driver training commercial at Victorian cinemas, commercials that went for a month or two.

I once asked another person who was in the car with me, but they'd forgotten, but still knew what I was talking about.
FollowupID: 629739

Follow Up By: dublediff - Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:33

Tuesday, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:33
Oops, didn't mean to offend but you stated you went on a trip! Just having a laugh, it doesn't hurt sometimes....;-)
FollowupID: 629797

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 23:19

Monday, Apr 27, 2009 at 23:19
The only option for the Sahara was a sat nav system that was housed in there and a hump sat on the roof above it in which housed the arial.
Andrew
AnswerID: 361973

Sponsored Links