Roof top tent on trailer....

Submitted: Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 20:15
ThreadID: 6829 Views:15660 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone mounted a roof top tent on a trailer ? If so let me know some details, some pics would be good...

Matt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geoff - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 20:48

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 20:48
Hi Matt I am in the process of doing that now I have built an off road trailer 7x4 and am close to finishing it then I will mount my roof top tent on it that I nomally put on the car. I have made a frame that hinges just like a camper and fitted 2 gas struts so I can lift it and screwed a joined marine ply 17mm thick to it.I will seal the ply and the tent will bolt on top at the rear of the trailer so it doesn't add to the ball weight.

Regards Geoff
AnswerID: 29095

Reply By: Matt - Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:07

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 21:07
Geoff,
What type of roof top tent do you have ? Does it have an awning on it, for protection, coooking etc? Or are u going to make one ? Any idea's ?

Matt.
AnswerID: 29100

Reply By: Member - Bill- Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:34

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 22:34
Matt,

I did it with a Howling Moon on a heavy duty 7*4 tradesmans trailer. I had the trailer built up for $1000 by Holiday Trailers in Yennora (Sydney). It was basically a standard tradesmans pantec (like a steel box on wheels) trailer with an integral rack built on the top. There was a wire basket built into the rack at the front and the tent mounted behind that. The side doors swung up on struts above head height and there was no opening at the rear (completely seam welded) onto which a spare was mounted.There were 3 jerrys across the front and stabiliser legs at the back. It had heavy duty slipper springs (6 leaves) and ran on new 8 ply Dunlop SP 195 LT tyres on Ford steel wheels. The tent folded out over the back which gave protection beneath where we set up a Drifter camp kitchen (carried inside the trailer). I did the 150MM PVC pipe thing accross the back and one accross the top for 50L of water and one on the front above the jerrys for poles. We did the centre last year via ood., loop and plenty towing behind a Jack. Took the tent off when we got back and flogged the bare trailer in the trading post for a couple of hundred less than I paid because we don't have anywhere to store it. I copped heaps of sh#$ from the guys with the mega buck off road trailers but it went everywhere they went at the same speed, no punctures, no dust and just as comfortable and quick to erect and break down. It's a good option to consider. I don't have any pics loaded but can send you one if you contact me offline @ billm@eisa.net.au
AnswerID: 29123

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:16

Monday, Aug 25, 2003 at 23:16
yep.... it's on the trailer now. I've had it on top of several vehicles... a troopie, subaru [several] and now the trailer. The problem with the vehicle is that you need to pack up to drive anywhere! I've had it poking out in every which way and direction. I'm about to make up mounts so that it can open off the top of the toyota tray cab back onto the tray.

The SUPA TRUPA has a pop-top [found it for $40] so the roof top tent won't fit there anymore, but I have thought of hinging it from the back so that it can fold down to horizontal and then fold out.

Back to the question. Yes.... the way to go!Royce www.funshow.com.au
AnswerID: 29136

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:12

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:12
Hi Matt,

Freinds of mine built an offroad trailer, then mounted a 2nd hand roof top tent on it. For them it was quite successful...it had an enclosed awning but no floor so it was an easy job to shorten the length slightly to suit the lower mounting on the trailer than if otherwise mounted on the car roof. One thing to bear in mind...many roof top tents have a minimal amount of "headroom" in the sleeping area. I think this is to keep the overall profile down. You might find that when mounted on a trailer (particularly depending on the height of the trailer), that the tent ends up too low to be practical, particularly if you want to fit an awning from it. Not saying it can't be done...just might need to select the roof top tent carefully.

:o) MelissaPetrol 4.5L GU Patrol &
Camprite TL8 offroad camper
AnswerID: 29332

Reply By: Matt - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:17

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 17:17
Melissa,
Thanks for the info.. u wouldn't happen to have any pics of it ?

Matt.
AnswerID: 29333

Reply By: Matt - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:45

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 18:45
I found a couple of examples that I like... the first one is a bit over the top, has two tents on the trailer. The second one is good because you can mount a boat under the tent, keeps the weight low, mind u I should say it is marginal !!

http://disco.bordignons.net/camperidea1.jpg
http://disco.bordignons.net/camperidea2.jpg

Matt.
AnswerID: 29345

Follow Up By: Matt - Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:09

Wednesday, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:09
More on the above idea....

http://disco.bordignons.net/1.jpg
http://disco.bordignons.net/2.jpg
http://disco.bordignons.net/3.jpg
FollowupID: 20455

Sponsored Links